nagamitkumar

Dear Friends, What about the abusive langugage used itself by the Chairman and the Board of Directors. Can anybody suggest how to control and stop as it is case sensitive. With Regards Amit Nag
From India, Vadodara
K.Ravi

i remember, in my earlier organisation there was one manager, he was chief manager and it was a manufacturing co. so he was just BE and worked his way thru hardwork and became a chief manager, but inspite of becoming chief manager his way of talking is still the same, using rural, obsence language with subordinates, using XXX words while speaking with employees, he did not become creamy..
From India, Pune
deenomony

Hi, This comes under disciplinary actions which is job of HR & Admin people. So you can give written warning signed & receipted by him. Regards Dinamani
From India, Calcutta
Trishaa
HI
Using abusive language in office is acceptable till it is in limits as everything has limits to it in an official environment.Once it is crossed you can give him a verbal warning, you can give three verbal warnings and still there is no change in the behaviour you can issue a written warning and also can warn him if repeated again strict action will be taken against him and this will also effect his appraisal and promotion if it is due.
Hope this will be of some help.
Regards,
Trishaa

From India, Delhi
sumitsaxenagist

Hi,
I guess the use of offensive language is not a good sign for any organization, especially for the one which has got a structured HR Department, who is supposed to tackle such issues.
What you should be doing is:
TO give an Oral Warning, Then the writtent warning and then in case no improvement is noticed, then termination!
Please note that issues like these must be dealt with a lot of strictness as otherwise they may induce a lot issues among the employees of the organization.
Should you have any queries, please feel free to revert!

From India, Faridabad
upendrachaturvedi

using abusive language at work place is really not acceptable at all, in case of person holding higher position and using defamatory language with the subordinates may creates several problems, and attrition is one major problem can arise, also sometimes cases of conflicts may raise, another thing person using abusive language may lose his own respect in the eyes of subordinates also creates big communication gap which is not at all good for the business......
From India, Gurgaon
PVQ

You need to have the procedures and policies in your SOP as well as employee handbook.
This will enable all employees to understand what is acceptable and what is not within the work environment of the company/office.
Abusive language is totally unacceptable. The usual course is 3 verbal warnings and then the first written warning documenting the episode. If the employee fails to correct his/her language then a 2nd written warning is issued. The 3rd and last warning clearly states that the employee will be demoted or if so required dismissed without reference.
PVQ

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
xsegroup
Most of the time a verbal warning for a first timer - then onto written warnings. Three strikes and you are out of a job.
Most people understand after the first warning and that normally solves it. With respect to what the others have said there is a lot of "it depends" going on here.
What language was used and how was it used? There are a few words here in the states that if used correctly will get you walked out the door and to your car without any warning whatsoever. Other times foul language could be used in haste, or someone's anger gets away from them for a moment. A mistake, and it should be treated as such - especially if the person does not normally speak this way.

From United States, Middletown
ahuda
While some organizations / managers do tolerate a certain level of use of 'abusive language' by practice, none allow abusing people by using foul language. (Use of abusive language and abusing people through language are not necessarily the same). Most organizations would have a disciplinary process for such act. If your organization doesnt, here's what I suggest: 1- a verbal warning followed by recording of the same through a file note or an email (stating the instance and that a verbal warning is given); copied to offender, his boss and relevant HR Manager. If the offence is repeated: 2 - a formal written warning stating that this is a serious violation of company policy/practice and another repeat offence may lead to termination from service. 3 - termination!!!
In the meantime, if you do not have a formal policy document, start developing one and mention that the organization has a zero tolerance for abusing colleagues through use of abusive language :)
Hope it helps,
Asghar

From Pakistan, Karachi
ahuda
If the boss does it too often, you need to ask yourself if its worth compromising your dignity. Practically speaking: often times one has to compromise due to domestic needs and pressures and due to the market situation. But if you can afford to, here's what I did: first resigned and took an acceptance from my immediate boss, then entered THE boss' office (who was also the 'seth' and hence chairman of the co.) asked him if he used bad language about me in my absence, and upon his similar response, gave him a real good taste of such lanaguage for over three continuous minutes and left. That same day, four more people resigned including an employee who had been there for 18 years. I hear that since then the seth has mellowed down a bit, but he is still the seth, so... !
BTW, I wasnt married then and could afford to stay without job for next few months:)

From Pakistan, Karachi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.