Yamini.chopra

I work for a Japanese trading company, a small set up with the employee strength of 6 and my reporting is to Japanese Director. As per our company policy, every employee is given 4 special targets apart from regular work and on that basis only, his performance is reviewed at the time of appraisals. My current profile in this company is very limited to HR being a small set up and apart from that i am taking care of Admin, IT, Import Logistics, and other misc work.
Now its the time to set new targets and i am really confused what targets to choose. The Director is having a quality background and he doesn't even know what HR department do and how does it work. To set the targets and then justifying them to a person who don't even have a sound knowledge has become a task for me.
Can anyone suggest me some options so that i can set my individual targets for this year?

From India, Delhi
Madhu.T.K

Your goals and targets will be there in your job description itself. Normally an HR person will have the following goals. If any of these are not coming under your regular duty, then take it as a target for the year. at the same time, an HR can take a particular vertical of sales as a special target for the year.
1. No recruitment gap: make it SMART goal by including time bound filling of vacancies like any replacement or new vacancy reported will be completed within 30/ 60/90 days of its reporting to HR depending upon the competencies attached to the job. If you say replacement will be made within a week, then it will become unreliable target or a target which cannot be attained. It depends upon the supply of labour and its elasticity with reference to the particular skill also. Therefore, if you are asked to find out a senior level manager or an Executive Vice President, you cannot do it within 30 days but may require 90 days but if you are asked to replace an Accountant you can do it within 30 days.
2. Training: The number of training hours per annum is another target which can be given to an HR person.
3. Reduction of manhours lost due to absenteeism: You may take a record of absenteeism in the last year and decide what reduction do you expect to bring this year and put it as a target for the year
4. Employee grievances/ disputes reduction: This is another target which can be given to an HR person. In establishments which have trade Unions, this is more quantifiable because the manhours lost due to employee unrest itself can be compared and you can be asked to reduce it to a certain level.
5. Legal compliance or 100% compliance with regard to filing of returns, renewal of licences etc can also be a goal of HR
6. Housekeeping: Introduction of any quality standards (like 5S) can be a target
7. Reduction of cost by way of freight charges and service level improvement are targets which can be attributed to logistics.
8. Firewall protection, Information security and reduction in the down time can be taken as target in IT
It is always good if you take a target different from your normal area of operation

From India, Kannur
ratikanta

Dear Madhu Sir,
Long time, your blog site not having any updated blogs. Looking forward to learn new things from you. kindly look into it since, u started a good initiation of learning.
Thanks
Ratikanta

From India, Durgapur
Madhu.T.K

Its is true that I have not updated the blog. But I am always present in citehr to help all of you. Please do search for any advise on HR related matters in citehr and we will be there to help you. All the best
From India, Kannur
HR_learning2006

Good morning to all,
To add the list,performance evaluation of probationers as well as other categories of employees is another core are which can be taken as a KRA.parameters for performance need to be set,performance to be evaluated on periodical basis, rewards and recognition to be done.

From India, Mumbai
nathrao

Mr Madhu has given good advice on targets for HR.
I would add to it by suggesting take up targets which help in achieving production targets of your company.
For e.g recruitment-see that recruitment time and costs are kept minimum while trying to recruit competent staff.
Keep ambitious targets for higher training.A better trained employee who is kept motivated is more productive and that helps bottom line.
Think out of the box.
While all jobs of HR are important focus on critical ones while doing the routine ones alongside.

From India, Pune
Aakansha_HRD

Hi Yamini,
I think you first need to access what the problem the business is facing as far as people issues is concerned & what are your reporting Director's goals.
While setting your goal design it in a way that supports the business either by solving existing problem or by helping the Director in achieving his goal.
You will be adding value to the business only when your are solving their problem or helping them in achieving their goals.It is a very important activity which will built your credibility in the organization.
Try to drill down the actual people issues or challanges faced by org.High attrition or high turnaround time are challenges for HR but its not always the case.Every company is different & so are their growth challenges.As you are working their you know it better than anyone.
I must say you are blessed that your Director is having a Quality background because he will understand the importance of Integrity,adherence to process,long term benefits of adhering to system & you need not to struggle for such issues in your company.And cherry on top is that he is Japanese & Japanese are know for their Values ,ethics & discipline.
Enjoy your journey dear.You are under a good leader.
Regards
Aakansha-HRD

From India, Nagpur
supriya naik

My name is Supriya I want to work in HR department but I don’t have that much of knowledge about HR.So please tell me how to get knowledge about HR
From India, Bengaluru
nathrao

Why do you want to work in HR?
Where are your working now?--Which type of work are you doing?
If interested in HR, there must be some reason.
Need to do self analysis.
There are many courses in HR,think of doing the courses and getting theoretical knowledge and then apply it to real life.
HR work is satisfying job and you can really contribute to the organisation.
Idea is good but you need to do lot of reading about HR and its application in offices.
Good luck.

From India, Pune
supriya naik

My name is Supriya please anyone guide me which topic i should read in HR to build my career as an HR
In interview time i am rejected so many time i did not understand which topic i should read and then i have to attend the interview

From India, Bengaluru
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.