deepthireddy

Hi June V,

Contrary to the popular belief that the higher the designation, the longer the probation period, its actually the other way round.

The reason being, probation period is used to assess a new joinee's skills and capabilities and to help him/her to adapt to the office culture. Now, when we take senior/middle-level professionals onboard with considerable experience, they already come with a certain proven track record of skills & capabilities. Hence, it is taken for granted that they hit the ground running.

Having a lengthy probation period for senior/middle-level managers whose skills have already been measured and accepted, is just a waste of time.

Therefore, the probation period for senior/middle-level profesionals is usually only 1-2months. However, their notice period is longer (6-8months) as they will have a lot of jobs to be completed or handed-over to, finding a replacement at that level would be difficult and the effect of seniors leaving the organzation is more as compared to lower level employees.

Also, 1 year of probation is mainly applicable to Trainees where on-the-job training is neccessary for them to be useful to the company. These trainees are made to work on different areas in their field in that one year. If OJT is not required then the normal probation period is just 3months.

A recent survey shows that the learning curve from generation to generation is different and that Gen X & Y learn things faster. So having a long probation doesnt seem neccessary if they can grasp things faster.

From India, Hyderabad
SUDHAKAR VINUKONDA
Hai Everyone
I am Sudhakar Executive-HR
I am requesting you all a small clarification.
Should we calculate Bonus on Basic+DA (i.e Rs.10,000/-) or Gross Salary of the Employee for the year 2008?
Please give me clarification which will be very useful to me for Bonus calculation.
Thanking you all.
SUDHAKAR.V
Executive - HR

From India, Hyderabad
B Tripathi
Hi June V, Almost companies are giving probation period for 6 months for all designation. Regards,
From India, Delhi
shemy4u_23

The Probation period depends on company policy in our company we are hiring employees on three month probation period. He is our employee from the very first day of joining only a clause is mentioned in appointement letter that You are (employee) on probation period for first three month.
in that case company can terminate his services without any notice in probation period.

From India, Lucknow
aru729

If the company has got a certified standing order, probation period will be as per that certified standing order.
In the absence of a certified standing order, the Model Standing Orders as per the Industrial Employment Standing Orders Act will be applicable to any industrial establishment. As per the model standing orders provided, probation will be for a period of 3 months from the date of appointment.
Even if the appointment letter states probation period to be 1 month, 6 months or one year or even more, in the absence of a certified standing order, probation period will be 3 months, since law stands above all contracts..

From India, Kochi
sameerparanjape

Hi,
If more than 50 employees are employed in an Industry in Maharashtra, then in case of workers the period of probation has to be 3 months. It can not be less/more than 3 months. (model standing orders 2(b) and 4-A, IESO Act,1946)

Ph 9850083760

From India, Pune
pramod pandey

hi june V.,
first i have to clarify what is probation, - probation means testing the capacity of new employee and giving them some time to understand the culture atmosphere of current organization, to know his boss and colleagues. Probation period is totally dependent on company polices. Even you kept a person for six month on probation period and if you think he is performing well his probation period can be reduced , even i have seen that retention of employees probation periods are reduced,
Thanks,
Pramod

From India, Mumbai
Divaspati
Hi,
In normal circomstances, the probationery period will be for six months. It will be decided on the basis of Company Policy, which will vary from Organiation to Organisation.
I have observed in few Organisation that when an employee is promoted to next level, he has been put on probation for the period of 3 months to observe his suitability for the elevated post.
The definition of the Probation can be taken from Standing Orders / Employment Rules as applicable.
Divaspati Bhat

From India
Cathym

Kumar, Does this apply to every country? In Kenya, probation period is normally three months irrespective of position held and if extended maybe to six months. Regards. Cathy
From Kenya
sagala amarnath
Dear All,
The clause of Probation is a standard one in any appointment letter which generally will be for a period of 6 months. This again varies from position to position.
Generally,probation clause not applicable to Senior cadres like GMs etc. Otherwise, it is a standard clause need to added with specified period which varies for freshers and others. For freshers it will be for a period of one year and for experienced personnel it will be of 6 months.
Few organisations uses this clause contextually with specific purpose for their employees.
With best wishes
Sagala Amarnath

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.