No Tags Found!

vikas vasisht

Dear Friends..,

I would like to discuss a live case which I am facing now a days at my

workplace. This is the 1st such case out of 100 persons recruited by me

during my career at my present company.

Ours is a manufacturing concern in fmcg sector, .

About 6 months back we appointed a person in our Accounts Dept., particularlyfor Salex Tax & VAT related matters. Durin the 1st three months, when we received his monthly appraisal forms from the concerned department, his performance was very satisfying. But to our utter surprise, we suddenly started receiving certain complaints against him from his colleuges. The complaints were like he is disturbing other guys, wasting his & others time & not performing the assigned task. As a normal course of action, we had a chat with the concerned HOD, his Reporting Officer & then with his collegues. Everyone gave their views.

Then suddenly a mail came from the concerned HOD that they dont want to continue with that candidate, as he is not mentaly fit & behaving in an

extraordinary manner and needs a replacement candidate for the

position. We, the HR people again had a chat with the HOD & the

concerned candidate. We convinced the HOD to keep the candidate under

observation for a further 1 month period. In the meantime, we suggested

the candidate to take a break from the work & to visit his hometown in

West Bengal. In between, i personaly talked with his room mates in

Delhi & tried to find out that what has happened to that candidate, who

in his initial period was performing so well. Again to my surprise none

of his room mates found anything wrong in his behavior.

When he returned back from his home, we again had a councelling with the candidate & tried to motivate him. But again after 2,3 days we started

getting calls from the same department & the concerned HOD had a talk with our HR Head, that he no more want to continue that candidate.

Now my HR head has advised me to take some action, as i particularly was handling the case. But each time I talked to that candidate, he said that he is happy with everybody & very disappointed to be the villain in

this type of story.

Please, advise me accordingly as I have a pressure on me regarding this

particular case & on the same time I also dont want to be harsh enough

to recommend a termination for that candidate.

Regards..,

Vikas Vasisht

Sr. Executive HR

From India, New Delhi
amalshere

Dear Vikas,
In all your study what was your in observations about this employee and the observations about him from his colleagues in the department and then taking the factual details from his HOD supported by the Facts and instances. Many times due to personal imcompactibility the subordinates are victimise by the Seniors so we need solid facts from the head of the department. Once you demand the same from the HOD, if he is victimizing the person will weaken and will start giving vague reply. Thats where you need to present your case and detail report to your HR head and involve him for counselling of HOD. If there are facts that supports the inefficiency then give warning in writing with time span for improvement or even look for replacment. Before taking any steps please ensure that you have substance with facts to support your actions.
Hope this will help you.
Thanks & Regards
Amal Shere

From India, Mumbai
just.nids

Hi Vikas
I will add something to it......
As you said that previously this employee was preforming extremely good....for three months then all of sudden this happened.....this means that their might be some one in his department who is probably close to management does not like this guy or might be possible that they have some clash in the mean time with some one...check out from the Finance Department that was their any clashes between any person and the new person because normally old employee have in the habit of pressuring the new employees very much....and to be subordinate even to those who all are not even concern with the new person.
Secondly, You can also judge out when you personally interact with the employee that whether he is mentally fit or not........because the Hr person have great Noise.......
Give him some kind of physiological or apptitute test to judge him.....
I guess i have given you some points to go into matter further
Cheers
Nidhi (Hr Executive)

From India, New Delhi
tazeentaj

hi vikas,
the case is not very clear .if you mention the details of allegations the dept makes on the accountant then propably a solution can be hinted. some more details like the nature of the person, kind of work his background(personal and professional will help you.)
if someone is spoiling the whole environment then it is better to be harsh rather than repenting later at a heaver cost. yours being a manufacturing unit coordination among the members is must. please consider the pro and cons of keeping him and removing him.
mahat
sr faculty
BIMS Bagalkot

From India, Bangalore
Asha2005

Hi,

My thought over handeling this situation is

1) like others suggested see whether any personal grudge is shared by fellow colleagues and this guy...

(Bcoz, I faced a similar situation in my organisation. The project manager had some personal issues with the admin.. and the PM always used to crib about her... as PM was a senior & old employee..he was able to canvas the other employee and thus creating a unhealthy working conditions... but I admit there was fault with admin too.. but issue was blown out of proportion... As many people complained about the admin..i changed the job description for admin..so that admin dont have to interact directly with these people... Thankfully our admin had other skills for a job that doesnt need employee interaction in a regular basis.....)

2) Listen to both the parties.. make both the parties talk in the presence of HR... Thus understanding whether the issues raised are true or not...

3) Give targets to the employee see whether he is able to acheive it...

Hope this helps you

Asha

From India, Madras
vikas vasisht

Hi Mahat, Asha & Nidhi.... Yes its true that such sichuation should be tackled with due care. Thanks for your valueable advises. Regards, Vikas Vasisht
From India, New Delhi
taneja.skt

hi vikas
i think you should give him some more time about 3-6 months, as stated by you that you have spoken to his colleagues and his boss and him also i thnik there is always difference between group and individual behaviour, moreover it is human tendency to form a group with old collegaues to resist a new comer.
regards
sanjay taneja
hr exec.

vikas vasisht

Hi Sanjay..
Thanks for the reply. Dear we cant give him more time. And as far as the relations are concerned. He had a very good relationship with all the employees in the initial time of his joining.
Regards..
Vikas

From India, New Delhi
K.Ravi

Dear Vikas,
There are n number of conclusions from the case study which you gave. To get a proper solution you need to extensively collect data from employees of your organisation, his colleagues, roommates, the employee himself, the HOD, and other colleagues.
You need to look a n number of factors, like the experience of employee, for how long the HOD and other employees are working in the company, how is the relation of HOD with other employees, Is there anyone in same dept who is PET of management , HOD, or your HR Head.
So you need to collect the data, analyse it and conclude it all together before in front of HOD, Other Employees, The concerned employee, Your HR head. Till now u were speaking alone, in seperate with everyone, better call them together and make it full and final, and as per the fault u can issue termination
to either one single employee
to HOD
to other employees
as per the conclusion.
:roll: :roll:

From India, Pune
vikas vasisht

Dear (what shud i write, obviously not shaitan), Ya, i wud try to arrange a commont platform for all the concerned persons in this case.. Regards.., Vikas
From India, New Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.