No Tags Found!

suri.rana
Hi, I'm working at a prestigious insurance company for the last 3 years where I have achieved my goal sheet comprehensively however my promotion has been denied given the fact that there were high early death claims but this was not given in form of written also not part of our goal sheet or target. I have also approached my supervisor he is saying that is an organization call. We can't do anything.

My question is that if early death claims was part of my goal sheet or promotion why it has not been given to me in writing as of now I am not aware of what was early claim Target not written communication received only verbally they saying that.

Please help me out but can I do in this situation should leave organization or should I say here?

From India, Noida
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Suresh,

An average salesperson can only sell insurance policies. If the death claims arise, then it is the sheer bad luck of the insurance company. However, holding employee responsible for the excessive death claims is ridiculous. The organisation cannot have a sales target and also a target for having death below a certain level.

I recommend you approach the highest HR authority of your organisation and explain to him/her that setting verbal targets is unreasonable.

If the HR Head does not help you, then you may submit an application to the MD of the company. If he also remains inclement, then you are free to decide whether to continue with your employment or not.

General Comments: - If the employees are given a double target for doing the same work, one in written form and another verbal, then this is injustice against the employee. The HR professionals are expected to rise and take up the cause of the employees. Dual targets or duplicitous targets send the wrong signals to the employees. They come up with inventive ways to engage the employee with the organisation. However, such activities could turn superfluous if the employees are not given fair treatment.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
KK!HR

First of all, is this promotion based on seniority or merit or a combination of both? Secondly, are you in a nationalised insurance company or a private one? Much would depend on these factors for any legal recourse in the matter.
Too many early death claims affect adversely the interests of insurance companies and are a negative factor. Obviously, it cannot be formally communicated as a performance indicator, yet it will underlie the promotion process.
Promotion cannot be claimed as a matter of right, the right of the employee is to be considered for promotion. Apart from performance, a critical factor to be considered is the potential for higher responsibilities. All these factors need to be considered before picking up the right candidate.
How do you fare in all these aspects, compared to the others who were promoted? If you feel you have been good enough and if you are in a public sector insurance company, in promotion seniority subject to fitness is a factor, then you have a case to fight in court.

From India, Mumbai
saswatabanerjee

Dinesh-ji,

I feel your analysis of the matter is wrong to a little extent as you are not taking into consideration the industry factors.

There have been cases where insurance salesmen have made their target by selling insurance to a group or target customer group that is normally avoided by the insurance company. For example, if you sell insurance to a chronically ill person or someone with a terminal illness, normally, it will be rejected by the insurance company's risk team. However, the salesman may actually coach the customer on how to hide the facts so that it does not get rejected.

IDRA regulations now specifically state that the insurance company can not reject a claim for death after 24 months even if it is proved that information was suppressed or fraudulently applied. So the insurance company has lesser protection now (though personally, I believe IDRA was right to put the rules and that all insurance companies are cheats)

Now, if you think from the company's point of view, every salesman will have some cases of early death. But if the ratio is very high for a particular person (to the extent of abnormality or it stands out from the rest), it is natural of the company to think that it was deliberate on the part of the salesman.

It could be a training fault, or it could be a strategy on the part of the salesman. Under the regulations, cherry picking is not allowed so the company can not really put it in the performance matrix (as KK has pointed out).

That told, I think Mr. Suri has to take this up with his HR head and also through the internal grievance portal (which almost every insurance company has) and take the matter up with the higher authority. Most insurance companies have very high employee turnover and they wouldn't want to let go of a trained successful salesman, so they are likely to respond and give a hearing at least.

From India, Mumbai
suri.rana
Hi sir
Thank you for replying sir, I'm working in private insurance company would like to inform you that this promotion is neither based on seniority nor marit, this is auto promotion based on goal sheet achievement which I achieved as mentioned above thread early claim was not part of our promotion or goal sheet this is the first time company has decline of some employees promotion on early death claims as giving fact that this is organisation decision without any prior notice to employees

From India, Noida
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.