No Tags Found!

pooja1108

Dear All,
I have recently joined a Visa & FRRO service provider company as an HR, Its a 10 years old company with a staff of around 30 employees. Previously there was no HR so I am the one who has to streamline everything and implement the policies. The major problem I am facing here is of employee late coming and taking unplanned offs on either Fridays, Saturdays or Mondays. Our company provides 12 paid leaves per year (1 PL every month) and no sick leave or casual leaves are provided (Management is not ready to increase the no of leaves as its not a CORPORATE). Though employees' salary is deducted when there are more than 2 lates or more than one leave in a month but still employees are keeping on this trend.
Kindly suggest, how to deal with this problem?
Regards,
Pooja

From India, Gurgaon
KevinOBrien

Firstly you need to improve your HR Polices. According to your post description you need to work hard on your management system.
You can follow some steps to improve your polices :-
1. Act on the Information
2. Consider Terms of Employment and Bonus Schemes
3. Pro-active Management
4. Have a clearly written paid time off policy.
5. Absence Reporting Procedure

From India, Delhi
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Pooja,

My comments are given in italics: -

I have recently joined a Visa & FRRO service provider company as an HR, Its a 10 years old company with a staff of around 30 employees. Previously there was no HR so I am the one who has to streamline everything and implement the policies.

Comments: - Your company was without HR for ten years. This shows psychology of the owner. This shows that he did not believe working in organised manner. For him HR systems and processes meant nothing. Probably he could save money by not employing HR but failed to calculate the losses caused by not having HR

The major problem I am facing here is of employee late coming and taking unplanned offs on either Fridays, Saturdays or Mondays.

Comments: - This is a reflection of the organisation culture of your company. Problem of this kind arise when owners fail to create culture of discipline.

Our company provides 12 paid leaves per year (1 PL every month) and no sick leave or casual leaves are provided (Management is not ready to increase the no of leaves as its not a CORPORATE).

Comments: - This is against Shops and Establishment Act of most of the states. As per shops and establishment Act, for every 20 working days, employee is eligible for 1 day paid leave. This is on and above ten closed holidays in the year. Therefore, deduct these ten days from 365 and divide by 20. You get 15. Therefore, it is not 12 but your company should give 15 days leave per annum. If you do not provide leave as per law, then do not blame employees for not showing commitment to the company. Commitment is not one-way street.

Though employees' salary is deducted when there are more than 2 lates or more than one leave in a month but still employees are keeping on this trend.

Comments: - This is happening because employees have reconciled to the salary deduction. Their priorities are different. To meet their priorities, they are ready to forego 1-2 days salary. As a remedy start attendance bonus.

Kindly suggest, how to deal with this problem?

Comments: - Your company's culture has been solidified already. It would be too difficult for you to change it. As a newcomer bringing change would be too difficult. In your company, you have person oriented culture and not performance oriented. Nevertheless, talk to boss about bringing culture of discipline. Sack 1-2 employees. Try shooting but keep gun on his shoulder. The problem is that you may not have career-conscious employees. The employees who wish to grow, they do not behave like this. However, your employees could be too institutionalised and they think that "boss" will not remove them.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
pooja1108

Thanks Dinesh for your suggestions.
I am also in the same mindset. When I interacted with the employees and enquired about the salary deduction they told that are not left with any choice but on the other hand noone has discussed this issue with the owner of the company.
Also, you pointed out rightly that the employees are not that career conscious, they are either from a strong family background who are working just for the sake of it or they are the relatives or personal references of the owner of the company who are not aware about the corporate culture.
The boss has never regulated the late comers and now he wants the HR to keep an eye on each employee and maintain discipline which is becoming very difficult for me.
Thanks,
Pooja

From India, Gurgaon
nathrao

One needs to talk to owner.

Put up the absentee figures,productivity loss(to the extent it can be quantified)

Unless the owner comes forward with a conviction,things will not improve.The owner should be explained the provisions of the Shops and Establishment act of your state and to give leave as per the regulatory act.

Explain also consequence of non adherence inn appropriate manner in discreet words.

Introduce some sort of biometric attendance system to get record of arrivals and departures.

Most frequent absentee needs to be pulled up to set an example,but after ensuring that legally your establishment is not violating local labour laws.

The owner needs to be pushed and prodded to play the game as per some laid down rules.

Non compliance with statutory requirement is a no brainer and can lead to consequences.

Employees must be knowing that labour rules are being flouted and they are also taking liberties.This culture can change only with top level intervention and making changes in way of working.

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Pooja,
This post has nothing to do with your query as such. It is more on grammar.
At some another thread of discussion, senior member, Mr NK Sundaram, has pointed out a mistake committed by another member on usage of the word "leaves". You may click the following link to refer his post:
https://www.citehr.com/528324-employ...ml#post2233163
Unfortunately you too have committed the same mistake. I recommend you taking cognizance of his post and correct yourself.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
aussiejohn

What happens when people get sick, and are unable to attend work for several days?
Do Indian employers refuse to allow people to be sick? How does that work?
I have to admit that some of the labour practices I read about daily here on CiteHR absolutely horrify me.

From Australia, Melbourne
Dinesh Divekar

Dear John,

Falling sick is neither misconduct nor availing of sick leave is. Nevertheless, what matters is employees use sick leave as ploy to fulfil some personal requirement. Under such circumstances, the employers are in bind. Action cannot be taken against such employee but work suffers. That is the problem Pooja's company is facing.

As far as India's labour practices are concerned, India has very sound laws. India has far more advanced HR practices. Citehr is not (R) not a reflection of corporate practices of entire India. Leave aside the top-notch companies. Few levels below this level also do not appear on citehr. What you come across on this forum is bottom companies whose owners do not value professionalism. Reading posts from HR of these companies makes us sad too. Take the case of Pooja's company. It sustained without HR for 10 long years. What does this demonstrate? But then is this Pooja's fault? Obviously not!

Look at the quality of the posts as well. One is appalled at few posts' structure, choice of words, grammatical mistakes etc. All this speak of their grooming. But again it is not their fault per se because these members did not exposure of higher level.

The essence of citehr is to help HR professionals exactly from this sector. There are thousands of HR professionals, who do not have anyone to guide. They turn to citehr for helping hand. Seniors' advice is the aliment to their career.

Thanks,

Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
saswatabanerjee

Either you are being deliberately obtuse or have not read the points properly.

Assuming it's a language and culture problems, I am explaining the matter :

The basic labour law in india provides for only one type or grade of leave. There is no distinction there based in requirement or reason for the leave. Factory act provides for 1 day of leave for every 20 days in the company, and most shop and establishment acts (governing offices, shops, hotels and entertainment business) provide for 21 days in a year. In addition for low wage employees, there is a provision for government run health insurance which pay the salary for sick days.

Larger factories and offices are subject to standing orders, which provide for the rules that apply to many things in normal course of employee employer relations. The standing orders provide for splitting of the annual leaves into 3 categories, vacation leave (PL), sick leave, and casual leave. If you do not have sick leave left (you utilised them all) then you can use casual or vacation leave. If you do not have that either, then you go without pay.

Same rule applies to smaller companies. If your leave (1 for 20 days worked) is over, you are without pay. Yes, so, the employer does not say don't be sick. They say as per law I am not liable to pay you for absent days beyond x number of days, even if you are sick.

This being a small company, below the radar for corporate employee friendly rules, they will keep it simple by not providing separate set of leave days for sickness.

Incidentally, from what I know of American and Australian practices, they kick out sick employees without compensation. So it would do you good not to be condescending. We are mostly (even at the lower end) better off

From India, Mumbai
boss2966

Dear Pooja

As you said it is a 10 year old organisation and you are the first and newly appointed, do not get into aggressive mode and take stringent action against any employee.

Start creating the HR Manual and streamline the HR Activities one by one. Please buy a S&E Act and Rules of your state and try to follow as much as possible and implement them in its real meaning. As a part of implementing, there will be a register Leave with salary register, ask your employer how to maintain as you are giving them with less number of leave. Then he can realise his fault and may instruct you to guide on this subject. Afterwards you can implement your leave plan (___ days casual leave, ___ days PL/EL and ____ days sick leave (at the discretion of management)).

In HR manual you can add about the Leave / Holiday / Weekly Off policy and about the late coming policy, so that, in future you can tighten the employees for their improper attendance/irregular timings.

Try to implement EPF and ESI Facilities for your employees.

Further as advised by Mr. Dinesh you can create the punctuality/attendance bonus, so that they can bring more discipline in their office timings.

From India, Kumbakonam
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.