pvarma
Hi!
Ours is a 70 member SME in IT. One of the proposal put forward on the table is allow associates to carry Pocket MP3 players to listen to music they like while at work.
I agree that Music decreases the stress. I also believe that it will be distracting in a IT workplace where the minds need to work always with concentration. Is this a good practice.
Your comments are appreciated and will help us to move forward with a quick decision.
Thanks
Varma

From India, Hyderabad
shreeramjoshi2007

Dear Verma In my previous company we had introduce music while working. It was gr8 success as we noticed the efficiency of the employees has increased by 10 % regards SJ
From India, Patna
pvarma
Dear Joshi, Thanks for your reply. In your previous company, did they play a common music across or allowed associates to carry their own players. Thanks, Varma
From India, Hyderabad
shreeramjoshi2007

There was common music. But personnel were allowed to carry their own walkmans as well. SJ
From India, Patna
Seema Gopal
Dear Varma,
It would be advisable if you let employees bring their own player or if they can have some music stored on their PC and listen to them. Because for few people music is distracting. Few employees won't like it if you play common music aloud.
Regards,
Seema

From India, New Delhi
sohini basu roy

i agree with both of them............... music decreases stress...common music is good bt as seema said it mite destract smone... so it can be done so..like if your office is in the same floor then provide music in few PCs and tell others to carrry walkman....if all agrees they can put on the common 1 and if not (suppose in a specific day sm1 is having a load of work, he will definitely wnt like to listen music)then they can play their personal 1.... its only about mutual understanding.....n if ur office is into diff rooms then provide music in 1 PC of each room.... i suppose this will work... all the best :) :) :)
From India, New Delhi
kongoorpally
Hello everyone,
MUSIC is defenitely a stress reliever and as you all know MUSIC THERAPY is developing to a noticable extent. Moreover, music can activate the right brain (otherwise dormant) which then supports LEFT brain optimization.
However, there are two issues to be negotiatied.
In my opinion, music is an individual choice. A particular music which someone enjoys could be very irritating to the other. So, the following needs to be addressed, while defining your internal policies:
COMMON music should be avoided and people may be allowed to carry their own MP3 machines.
A common 'CODE OF CONDUCT' should be put in place, so that everyone enjoys this beneift...........while we ensure that it is used in a responsible manner.
Suitable steps should be taken to read and measure the general impact on the overall employee productivity. This needs to be monitored and shared with employees on a need to know basis.
Just my thoughts. Comments invited.
Regards
Anil

From India, Kochi
L.Kumar

Dear Sender
Displaying music in work place is not going to increase/decrease anybody's efficiency. It is a feeling that it is increasing the efficiency.
It is a common practice, that if work load is properly distributed and involved with your work, then one do not have time to listen music and this has also been experienced with my previous company.
Regards
LK

From India, Madras
anupsoans

You cannot consider music as a motivator in isolation. It has to be part of your organisational culture as in Google. It must be carefully thought out and discuused across the organisation. Your company's top leadership must buy into these changes as part of your company's policy to create a fun at the workplace. I attended a workshop titled "Fun @ the workplace" by Times Group and it was very helpful in terms of practical tips to make the workplace more productive. Southwest Airlines is another good example of fun @ workplace. Organisational Behaviour By Stephen Robbins -- 12th edition is a good resource you can refer to.
Best wishes

jayant.giri

While i am strong believer in Music as a tool for distressing, i am not sure if carrying personal player or playing it on PC would be a good idea for the following reasons.

1) Since its an IT company, data / project security will be an issue and would not want people walking in with USB port music players and using it for taking data.

2) Music can also be a tool for sexual/mental harassment especially for the fairer sex. Lewd music can be played loud making them uncomfortable.

3) the idea of somebody not liking the music / loud music has already been covered by someone else. I would like to add to that, that while nice soothing music rests your mind, songs, like the hindi songs with wordings engage you therefore wanting to make you sing/hum along.. therefore taking your mind off work or tweaking the concentration.

I believe the music should be centrally controlled by a centralized PA / Deck with speakers fixed at various locations. Moreover the type of music should be soothing instrumental both western and indian classic, like we see in many of the 5 star hotels.... Soft classical musical is soothing to years yet not disturbing for the people around....

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.