Anandmed

I feel sorry for your friend, but I think that is not end of his career. We all got to learn from such bad moves. I am sure he moved to a start-up because of various reasons and I think one of the reasons would be fast career growth in a short span of time. If things could have gone the way he thought, he should be in a better shape now but things just gone up-side down.
I know its tough to digest and he could have landed up with many expectations but all i can say there are things which is out of our control and we need to dust ourselves and keep moving on.
Thank fully, he knew these things during the start-up phase before it gets much complicated. I too agree with the fact that the company is totally un-fair with thier practice. I just wanted to convey my wishes for his next venture. May his next move would end-up based on his expectation.
Thanks,
Anand

From India, Coimbatore
sandeep.dehedkar
Hello,

First thing is that u r working in a private sector there are some positive & some negative points. Here if u have capability u can reach or achive u r goal which is only possible in this sector.

Before taking any change u should have at least basic information about the group which is possible through friends/net. This will help to calculate the risk involved.

Now considering what happened with u r friend may be the company is saying the truth or there past history must be the same which is common with many groups. Here the mistake is of u r friend he must have not collected proper information about the group & the project. But ok it happens instead of blameing ur self or to the group just think for other option but he should have not left the company till other option was ready. Here company has cheated but in many cases the employ cheats then what.

It is a private sector don't think of job security think of the growth there are many good group who knows how to take care of tallents.

Regards

Sandeep

From India, Haldia
drukganu

Hello Archana,

Whatever happened to your friend is definitely bad but not new to Industry. I have seen, almost a decade ago in a Mumbai based Pharma company, where salaries of all managers from HO & field were reduced temporarily when the company lost a top brand. The loss was indeed huge.

However, by introducing a broad range of new products and offering attractive incentives on the sale of these, the company also offered an alternative to match the monthly income to the field force. Thus Fixed outflow of company was reduced but alternative was provided to make up that loss.

Some left, others continued, scored loyalty points as well as incentives and as the company recovered from the loss, the guys who stayed put & performed were rewarded handsomely. The point is to state that it does happen (although not regularly).

If it is an isolated case of your friend only then it is bad on the part of management. New projects are started with plough back from existing business profits and there is no need to renegotiate salary of a new incumbent. They should bear his costs & observe his performance for 6 to 9 months-time to confirmation or otherwise and decide accordingly.

Find out if it is isolated case of your friend. If so, then it is an attempt to exploit the vulnerability of new incumbent, who is left with little options (but has to continue).

Since it is not a big time gap since he left his old job, and if he has left previous company on good note, he can offer to go back there by talking to HR. May be he can go back.

If that is not possible, buy time, perform and look for other options.....

Dr Ulhas Ganu

From India, Mumbai
archnahr

Thanks everyone for showing your concern towards my friend and his career, as suggested by many of you, he will surely look for a change as he has already resigned.

As some of you have mentioned that it was his mistake not to check the details and information about company, but it didn't happen that ways. Joining on a position of Sr. manager surely makes him this much responsible to do a background check of the company and its position in market.

It is very unfortunate that many of you just said about the company being at fault but did not provide any concrete solutions so that in future people does not come across such types of games played by Many such companies.

Dr. ulhas, I agree with you that if Company loses a big project or revenue than such explanation works with employees also, but here in this case, during the planning stage how can the company identify that the project is going to bring them losses and if so is the case why continue with the project/division altogether instead of cutting down the cost of employees salary.

Thanks once again for your concern and valuable insights in such real life cases....... whining over past is surely not the correct but teaching a lesson is important.

Regards,

Archna

From India, Delhi
pravinsingh
Hello Archnahr
Tell him/her to search for another job and leave that company.And deadsoul2011 is really a dead soul.Hey u dead soul.....If u buy a scorpio and then told it that u cannot afford to give it 20 litres of petrol every day and can afford only 10 litres....will it give the required milage.A scorpio needs more petrol.Or else buy a Maruti 800.U cannot tell the scrpio that yr economy has gone down.The same goes when a company hires an emplyee promising him an X salary.It has to keep up to its promise.

From India, Ahmadabad
sreehariprasadn

I have witnessed such a case in my career. One heighly qualified Sr.Doctor with 30+ years of experice, was given an option of heading the Department of an Instituition where I was earlier working as HR & Admin Head. He was working as Medical Superintendent of a 100+ Beded Super Specialty Hospital in NCR with a take home Salary of 60K. He was offered 80K take home and was not allowed to have notice period in his previous organisation. Before his first salary payment, Management realised it will not be profitable to pay such heigher salary and asked him to come 4 hours a day for a salary of Rs.40k. The poor Doctor had the shock of his life time and was not even in a position to go back to his previous Organisation as he has left them without any proper information. So my suggustion to all those who are lookinmg for change is to have a clear information about the policies, system and style of functioning of the Organisation where you intend to join...
Sreehariprasad.N
Manager HR
DHLI

From India, Lucknow
colvirendra

Dear Archna,

First of all, this is not a situation which is not usual. It happens and as an employee one should safeguard against these practices.When one is looking for a changeover , one becomes slightly vulnerable, companies specially the private one takes advantage of that situation. one has to guard against that. Infact your friend relocated, obviously one has to look after his family and look for admin support to his children during relocatation, once somebody has relocated, you tell him to change the terms and conditions of the job because that gentleman is already trapped. It is sheer blackmailing and unethical but the fact remains that most of the private companies do that. There is no generalisation please.

The logic that their bottom line got affected so change in outflow is required is nothing but untrue. As a businessman, one is supposed to calculate his future inflows and outflows carefully and in this particular case, they should have had more of variable pay for your friend in case they were not sure of inflows or market response to the products. Problems come when business calculation goes wrong and they want to penalise the employess for that.

I have seen the situation where some concept marketing was to be done for some particular new product on the basis of some whonky ideas of proprietor who has fallen in love with the product though there was no want in the market, proprietor was not ready to modify the product but was fully prepared to let the employee pay for employer lack of proper judgement.

These situations do arise.

Now the alternatives for your friend, should sustain in the present company till the situation improves here or in some other company.We are not privy to his discussions with the employer before joining, he is the best judge for the situation he is in , one thing is very clear,if he feels the company is dishonest or unethical , he should find a alternative better job, it will not be difficult for sure.

Though everybody says everything is fair in business and war, how many companies you find which are unethical and dishonest with their employees, going up and up. I dont think very many. These companies are doomed because if you cant be honest to your employees you cant be honest to yourself. Same is applicable to employees.

Col Virendra

pravinsingh
The result of companies tricking employees in this way will be that in the near future when any employee joins a new company leaving his present good job,he will get everything on a legal paper so that the company does not do such things.It will become a normal procedure when joining a company.Just like businessmen enter into a legal contract before finalising a deal.Each one has his own lawyer.It will happen soon.
From India, Ahmadabad
tajsateesh

Hello Everyone,
pravinsingh has a point...but let me put it this way: just as most Companies now-a-days have Background Checks of the selected candidates, @ the way things are moving w.r.t. the Employers themselves, there could be a big market for BC firms to do BC of prospective Companies on behalf of the selected candidates--no pun intended pl.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
ngurjar

Its still a sellers market TS... I don't see too much choice... Just as in business, companies are always willing to take up orders even with those who have a very bad market reputation. Don't want to name companies, but you know there are many...
The reasons to leave are often stronger than the reasons to join... Do you agree?

From United States, Daphne
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.