View Poll Results: As an employee / candidate how frequently do you think you should change jobs in interest of your ca
within or upto 1 year 6 6.06%
within 1 to 2 years 24 24.24%
within 2 to 3 years 33 33.33%
within 3 to 4 years 21 21.21%
anytime after 4 years depending upon circumstances 15 15.15%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

rema
My view as an employee - I am working with an organisation for the past 23 years. I am happy with the management, growth, personal developments etc. Of course I find the management is good. It is not that I did not get chances of very high increase. However I did not change I have some kind of attachment to the organisation.
Now I am a part of the HR group and I will not entertain a resume if a person continuously changing the job for the past five years every 6 months or 1 year. Though there are increased chances for jobs by the time the person knows about the company and it's working procedures/methods he will be ready to jump. here the learnings will not be anywhere.
This is my personal opinion.

From India, Mumbai
vndixit

Its nice to see two contrasting opinions. I guess the frequency of changing jobs tells how mature the person is. I quit my first 'corporate' job in 3 months. The nextjob, I stayed for 1 year and a month and had to quit, because of, believe me or not, traffic!!
Thats why I said "depends on many factors" should be an option. Well, I do miss my previous company, I learnt a lot and would have loved to grow with the company.
I would like to mention my perspective of the maturity of a person thing I said in the first paragraph. Well, the more a person researches about a company before joining, the more clear he is with what he wants. A person who complains about an employer is one who did mistake of taking the offer and not the company to blame and so on. Hence people who stay long with companies, are mature and wise (of course, less greedy, considering the present trend of job hopping and asking for unjustifiable and improper, disproportionate hikes!!)
Thats my say!:D
vnd

From United States, San Diego
jeevanraveendran

Intresting topic as they say it is almost 100% attrition that we generally have in our country at the moment.

As far as iam concerned, even when i joined a company with the intention of never quititing it atleast for 5 years, i had to leave it because of hte peronal tragedies that occured in my life.It was never for the sake of money, but for more time for personal and family problems like death of parents one by one, being a single child of the parents , recovering debts that were due etc.

Once i had to leave as we had differnce of oppinion with our immediate boss who was from a premier b school and i shd also say i was not alone-4 of us left with a period of 5months and now two moe will be going this month end, is some thing wrong with the place? there should be right?

this can be avoided to an extend i belive if companies reveal their expections to hte employees.

One of my colleagues , b school topper with very positve work culture had to leave with in a month as the employer offerd her a finace and admin position but it was a hard core selling assignment when she had joined.whom can be told responsible?

long back when a senior executive of wipro consumer care and lighing came to us,( he was a pofessional with impeccable records adn graduated from sp Jain Mumbai) I pose a question as to how is balancing between his personal and official demands.His answer was offcourse a lot of credit goes to my wife who ersigned for the sake our family, inspite of being my class mate in SP jain that she doesnt crib for silly issues!

second is that there is nothing called personal or official issue- u need to prioritise and attend to them both and converge them a s a single entity.

out of personal eperince, i think he is right, how do you explain a n employee to continue in a pressing schedule when his house is burning literally with issues like termainal illness to his /her dear ones,crunching financial issues etc?

Also on the other hand how can u expect the person to be a great family man when his work has crushing issues like a quality inspection or a so?

perhalps it was not very serious issue in earlier generation where neither we had much of night duties normally or customer care or delight concepts or even a globalised 'small' world or internet or even lap top!

From India, Pune
shijumatthew

Nice to have a discussion on attrition
yes its right that one can only grow with the company. for this one needs to have the ideal company which suits his nature. I had read somewhere, organizations also have their individualistic personalities. There has to be a consonance between both.
I want to be extremely committed to the organization that i am working, but if the situation doesn't permit me, then i will have to look for a change. infact sometimes pay also doesn't matter when it comes to having a collaborative atmosphere, where atleast people are given importance. Not necessary that the org. should listen to everything but atleast make them feel they are part and are imprtant.
rgds
Shiju Mathai

From India, Mumbai
shvetanksinha
hi yogesh...
thats an interesting one....
well i find a kind of restlessness among the youth of India today...
even i am included in that restless group...
We think that will grow if if change a job but we are forgetting the fact that it is somewhere showing our inconsistency or lack of committment...
I may sound harsh but thats the biiter truth.....
Enjoy..

suchitra.v
Hi all,
Attrition..Frequent job change is what todays trend. The reasons may be so many.. but some or the other way it is related to a saying that "Human wants are unlimited". I have come across people who would have two three offers in hand but still they look for change..
There is so much of competition today. I wonder whether it happens only in India..What about status of companies outside India, I mean in foreign countries.
May be a survey can be conducted or research if is done, we can come to know..as what may be the basic reason for frequent job change..
Say for eg
Personal Reasons, location change, for financial reasons, to seek a challenging career, others
What say????
Thanks and Regards
Suchitra

From India
RakhiD

Hay Good Topic,

its well said, " something that is constant today is change". I feel change in job mainly depends on your personal aims. If you find a company fulfilling your aims you don't leave it for 25 yrs. If you find its not you will leave in 25 weeks.

We all talk of good boss/ good culture / good pay. But we all will have different experiences and options ratings even for the CMM companies which are officially evaluated for all the above points.

So, if you find a person changing jobs in every 1 year, I will suggest you not to discard him in the first instance, take a chance to talk to him, try and see his aim and if it was met in any of the companies that he left early. If you fail to find it out, let him go But really we cannot say why a person leaves a company, sometimes even when he does not want to!

Good ppl are a rare bread right now, don't loose them just coz they have not worked for a company for more than 2 years.

Rakhi

From India, Pune
RakhiD

Thanks Yogesh,
Making decisions on the prima facts is all what we like, coz such decisions are easy to take and justify... but we generally don't get quality and innovation in work if we cross our own boundaries.
One most imp thing my experience has taught me is not to judge anyone from the face value, never label ppl, its always fare to give one the chance to put up his side of facts
Rakhi

From India, Pune
rakesh01
mini. 1 year necessary for junior position.
and if sinior position like Assit. manager, manager, A.G.M. etc, it should be 2 year mini. , if it is less than 2 year then u have to ask reason for it,
considerable reason is this - that - new organisation is a very big organisatin as compare to past, or in new organisation advance technology is there which is uselful for the candidate, and in some situations we have to also consider if management / coligues of previous organisation is torchuring that employee unncessarily or not

From India, Pune
Yogesh Pahuja

Dear All
great contributions...cast your vote if you still have not.
also check out the thread "why do you change a job?" and cast your vote..
lets make these polls a learning curve for ourselves
yogesh

From India, Ahmadabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.