sreejithmenon
Dear friends and seniors,
I have to terminate an employee because of his shot temperness, lack of commitment, lackdisical approach to the issues pertaining to leagal , finance etc.We have been trying to persue him to the right path but he has some other intention, being at the age 59, and have been working with us for four years . We would like to terminate him in good terms.(is it possible).Please guide me to overcome this issue.

From India, Vadodara
Mahr

Dear sreejithmenon,
If you want to terminate him in a good manner, then you just need to call him and have a word with him in regards to the current situation. No wonder the employee is with the company for so many years it should be like he/she should be able and to abide with the company rules and regulation, rather than acting in his/her own manner.
If not you can just issues 3 warning letters in 5 day gap and the end of third week you shall just put down the termination letter to that employee. Again this all persists in the appointment letter along with the terms mentioned in it...

From India, Bangalore
gerry303

Dear Sreejitmenon,
When the company appointed him at age 55, I am sure you did not expect to get a person with the skillset, attitudes, temperament etc. of a young person of 25. His experience, which made him appeal to your company in the first place, also carries with it all the quirks you mentioned.
Secondly, he knows he is near retirement and has probably already switched off or is in the process of doing so. This is the price one has to pay for appointing a person so near to retirement age, though there are exceptions.
Having said this, I have to ask a searching question: Would be not be deprived of gratuity if he quits or is asked to quit before he completes 5 years service?
Without intending to prejudge the intent of the company, you could have a soft separation by offering to pay him the full/half remaining salary till age 60 (date of retirement) as well as gratuity 'as though he had worked till the end'. If this offer is given, I am sure he would walk out willingly.
Gerry303

From India, New Delhi
Vasant Nair

A VERY GOOD proactive, HR like approach. "Grace" is something several HR persons tend to forget/ignore. At this ripe age and at the fag end of his active career, one should lend grace to the occassion.
We are all in the business of "Looking After People". We should value them even when parting is likely to happen.
Vasant Nair
QUOTE=gerry303;1048326]Dear Sreejitmenon,
When the company appointed him at age 55, I am sure you did not expect to get a person with the skillset, attitudes, temperament etc. of a young person of 25. His experience, which made him appeal to your company in the first place, also carries with it all the quirks you mentioned.
Secondly, he knows he is near retirement and has probably already switched off or is in the process of doing so. This is the price one has to pay for appointing a person so near to retirement age, though there are exceptions.
Having said this, I have to ask a searching question: Would be not be deprived of gratuity if he quits or is asked to quit before he completes 5 years service?
Without intending to prejudge the intent of the company, you could have a soft separation by offering to pay him the full/half remaining salary till age 60 (date of retirement) as well as gratuity 'as though he had worked till the end'. If this offer is given, I am sure he would walk out willingly.
Gerry303[/QUOTE]

From India, Mumbai
sreejithmenon
Dear friends and seniors,
Thank you very much for all the suggestions.Even now i wanted him onboard but he created enough embarassment for the management as well as employees.All the statutory and finacial bodies involved in our factory operations has started informing us directly and indirectly and company feels this external dissatifaction intolerable.
Hope i can still correct him and take alongwith my team.
Thanking you and regards,
sreejith

From India, Vadodara
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.