No Tags Found!

samvedan

Now that the facts are stated, it is clear that at first the issue must be considered from the management culture point of view.

In this vein, I suppose, termination is a rather harsh response to his lack of discipline unless we are told that despite previous record of misconducts and despite opportunities given to him for improvement, he has continued to indulge in such carelessness.

If this is not his first misconduct and if it has not caused SERIOUS damage of interests to the company, it is a fundamental principle of Good Management Practices that one should be given an opportunity to improve.

In the alternative scenario (legal) I would venture an opinion that the management action is safe. But it would be necessary to check if the said employee is covered by Sales Promotion Employees Act!

Finally, in view of the attitude demonstrated by the said employee, I would not hesitate to say that management action in this case is legally and morally right.

I suppose my perspective is clear!

From India, Pune
bala1

Hai,

I fully agree with Sadashiv Rao. Sales and customer support are two disciplines which are extremely sensitive sensitive to the organisation. Customer is KING always. I remember in one of the training sessions, the trainer asked a question "Who pays your salary?" Many gave different answers. Some of the answers were - shareholders, MD, Owner, Accounts etc. Buit in reality who pays salary - the CUSTOMER. If customer is not there, then business does not exist. So the first and foremost duty of any Sales/Customer support person is to satsify the customer. It is not "customer satisfaction" which is required now, it is "customer Delight" that is required.

What is "Customer Delight" after all?

When a product meets customer expectations, it is ensuring customer satisfaction. However, when customers get value or benefits beyond what they had expected, the brand has ensured customer delight. Common sense suggests that a delighted customer may be more loyal to your brand than a satisfied customer.

Customer delight is not just about better product performance. Consumers have a certain degree of functional expectation from a product, and, in most cases, the product is likely to deliver a level of performance pretty close to that expected by the customer. This is precisely the reason why functional parameters have ceased to be meaningful differentiators for customers to choose one make of the product over the other.

Customer delight is about demonstrating and providing a set of tangible and intangible benefits beyond the functional features, a combination of which provides value beyond what the customer had expected to receive from the brand. It is important to realise that customer delight is a moving target. It is not a fixed benchmark to be achieved. As competition intensifies and responds, the power of some benefits to act as differentiators gets diluted or erased.

Oh, oh, I have moved away from the subject in the topic to somethig on sales. But I think the realisation that it is because of CUSTOMER that everyone of us in the organisation is existent is absolutely essential for everybody in any organisation.

Thanks

Bala

From India, Madras
Deepali Singh

hi dere,
i have seen in most of the companies the performance of the sales executives that is considered by the top management is only and only the business he gets. the targets he meets. etc. and other things go unnoticed.
In case of termination why everything is noticed?????
dips

From India, Delhi
bala1

Deepali,
Having worked quite some time in direct sales and managing sales, I concur with your opinion. It is the "numbers" and "numbers" only which matter to the top mgmnt. Whatever other quality work he/she does is of ZERO relevance. We all talk of "customer delight" and all that in all the sales meetings, training sessions etc. Enormous amount of Lip service is done on customer delight. But in reality the "top" looks at only the "numbers". There are very comic (but serious because the true attitude comes out) situations where the truth comes out very evidently. One of those which happened recetly is when the top said "we have to take juice out of the customers"!
Thanks

From India, Madras
Deepali Singh

HI DERE,
WOW "WE HAVE HAVE TAKE JUICE OUT OF THE CUSTOMERS"
SOUNDS SO EXPLOITING . I CAN SEE MANY OF MY FRENDS INTO BEING EXPLOITED LIKE ANYTHING . THEY WORK 12 HRS ADAY, SIX DAYS A WEEK (VEN ONE FOE SEVEN DAYS) AND THEN DUE TO SOME OR THE REASONS THEY LEAVE THE COMPANY AFTER 3 OR 5 MONTHS.
REASONS ????? TARGETS NOT MEETING.
AGAIN THE COMPANY OVERLOOKS THEIR PERFORMANCE FOR THE LAST 5 MONTHS AND WORKING HOURS THEY PUT. FOLLOW UPS THEY DID, CLIENTELE DEY MADE. BUT DEY LOOK ONLY Y D PRESENT TARGETS NOT MEETING.
OR SHUD I SAY EMPLOYEES SHORT OF REFERENCES.
FRENDS I HAVE SEEN. LITERALLY DIS IS D CASE IN BANKING INDUSTRY.
WHAT DO U SAY????
DIPS

From India, Delhi
bala1

Deepali,
This is not the case with Banking industry alone - it is the case with many of the sales guys irrespective of the industry.
In sales, how many visits you have made to the customer, how much effort you have put, how much of qualitative work you have done etc etc just doesn't matter. What matters is 'have you got the numbers'.
Reality it is.
Bala

From India, Madras
Deepali Singh

Hi bala,
SERIOUSLY, FEW OF MY FRIENDS HAVE WORKED FOR REPUTED BANKS AND D CASE IS LIKE, IN INITIAL MONTHS THEY USE THEIR REFERENCES TO GET ACCOUNTS OPEN OR INSURANCE OR CREDIT CARDS ETC. AND WHEN THEY START FALLING SHORT OF THEIR PERSONAL REFERENCES , OBVIOUSLY THE TARGETS WILL MEET A LITTLE SLOWER AS COMPARED TO THE INITIAL MONTHS. SO AT THAT TIMES THEIR ASM AND RSM STARTED HITTING THEM WITH WORDS OF MOUTH AND FINALLY WHEN THE TOLERANCE LEVEL CROSSES THE EMPLOYEE QUITS THE JOB AND AGAIN THE PROCESS IS REVISED USING CANDIDATES REFERENCES AD THROWING..
REALLY ITS JUST EXPLOITATION, JUST A USE AND THROW SCHEME.
WHAT DO U SAY???
DIPS

From India, Delhi
bala1

Deepali,
I agree that it is exploitation.
But that is the fact in this 'dog eats dog' world of today. Once the utility is over and you find that the figures are not coming in as you envisaged (the figures, in the first place, would have been illogical), the guy is thrown out like 'tissue paper'. That is the terminolgy we use in this field!
Thanks
Bala

From India, Madras
Deepali Singh

WELL WELL PSYCHED, WE ARE GOING AWAY FROM THE TOPIC. i CANT SAY WHETHER I MAY ALSO DO THE SAME BUT I JUST HATE THIS.. BY D WAY BACK TO THE QUESTION, GIVE ME MORE ISSSUES TO BE CONSIDERED .. DIPS
From India, Delhi
Smit11
Dear Seniors,
I have been asked to draft a termination letter for our company on a immediate basis.I understand that these things are very legal and a legal things needs to be approved by a lawyer.Please help me doing the same.
Regards
Smita Nair

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.