shikhamessages
Dear All, Need advice whether any employee can take casual leave (if he/she has balance) during notice period. Regards, Shikha Agarwal
From India, Mumbai
Adhrua
Dear Shikha,
causal leaves usually cannot be accumulated or encashed, so if a staff member is serving notice period and has balance CL the only thing that his CL approval should be dependent on his work requirement and nothing else.
best regards,
Adhrua

From India, Delhi
samvedan

Hello,

Interesting poser!

I would love to know ifthe organization has published "Leave Rules". Then I would also like to know if the organization has any specific provisions inthis regard in their "Service Rules (if any) and Contract of Employment".

Assuming that no such things exist, I proceed to answer your querry.
  1. First, No leave right to be enjoyed when the employee wishes to! Leave is a privilege and can be used depending upon exigencies of work. Whether there is a positive leave balance or not is an irrelevant issue.
  2. There is no harm if CL is granted to an employee who is serving the Notice Period. After all the organization has granted the entitlement for utilization during the tenure of employment. But if it cannor be granted for legitimate reasons, even that would be fine and the employee can have a grievance about it.
  3. There are organizations that grant annual entitlement but limit the max during each quarter. In such a case the employee will be able to claim only what is due upto that quarter. Some organizations, permit encashment of all types of leaves at the time of seperation for any reasons whatsoever.
The standards of reasonableness prop a question, "Why not grant it?" Are the heavens going to fall down if such a leave during Notice Period is granted? Oftent we tend to act "penny wise, pound foolish".

I recommend that this issue be treated as a "C" class issue and resolved accordingly. As HR we have better things to do than getting entangled in such issues!

These personal and professional views emanate from my convictions and experience and commitment to the profession. You are free to reject!

Regards
samvedan
December 17, 2010
-----------------------

From India, Pune
kannanmv

Dear Sikha Agarwal,
The basic purpose of the notice period is to give time for the employee leaving service to hand over the documents handled by him and to give time to HR department to source a new candidate in his place.
In this context generally organisation do not encourage leave during notice period. However, in the event of any emergencies of course CL can be considered. But the leave availed should be compensated by extending the notice period to the extent leave has been availed.
M.V.KANNAN

From India, Madras
sharma sunil

Dear Shikha,
Employee can't take leave in between notice period because notice period the time where an employee have to give the handover of records to new employee. So as per company policy S/he can take leave in notice period...
Thanks & Regards
Sunil Sharma
Sr. Executive HR
V3S Group

From India, New Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.