No Tags Found!

POOJA JAIN

hi
My opinion is that Probation loses relevance after a certain level / grade. it is applicable and should be enforced for entry level and junior level executives where turnover is higher, job performance is to be checked and evaluated etc.
However beyond the middle level , when you are expected to take responsibilities and deliver results from day1 then probation loses relevance. moreover, it builds an insecurity in any employee who looks at a change , leaving a confirmed job with benefits and going into probation again. (someplace sI have seen 1 year probation for sales mgr - 8yr exp - now isn't that really strange? Would you give him 1 year to show performance? Dfinitely not a day more that probably a month at a max)
So I feel that probation needs to be relooked at and decided grade wise at the time of hiring itself.
Cheers!!
Pooja

From India, Delhi
Human Resources Manager

*Ahem* ,Clears his throat,

Well ive given my 2 cents advise before and i wouldnt care to reply to anyone else's opinion, each one is entitled to their own opinion and most opinions here are just a matter of raising posts counts <------- I know it all , dont i ?:-)

Umm pooja, about that sales manager's seat with 8yr's experience but 1 years probation .... PERFECT 1 year probation period, i say god dahym the H.R people at that company know their job perfectly well.

Do let me know the name of that company ( so i can pat them on their backs )

Allow me to explain ( the saga continues like this )

You and i may have 8 +years of experience ( yeps 8+ ) but then if at a new job if the candidate cannot deliver what is expected for a period of 1 year there is no use of such a candidate profile on the bench.

What is the company hiring an individual for ? Past performance or future expected performance???

If past performance then expect that company to give you a Rs:500/- addition for scoring 10 marks on your 5th standard test also.

If future performance then who cares about the past ? Past is gone, may be the candidate performed due to good guidance of the senior management and oportunities of that sector at that given period of time. Who knows? & who cares at the current job ?

Well senior or junior , all positions expect you to deliver results, and if for some companies the performance benchmark is a year of deliverable results so be it. New jobs hire you for delivering results not what benchmarks you made in the past , Hope this clears the doubts of a good reason for probation.

I rest my case here, all above & below replies will be reviewed once a week so junta feel free to add on your comments .

From India, Mumbai
Vijetha Kishore
Hi,
I agree to pooja, of her say that probation is not required after certain level.People at the entry level of career, would stick on to probation period but, trying to hold the mid career and top level managers with probation period, will only see them under perform , with lack of interest.
Vijetha Kishore

From India, Panipat
asio
Hi,
i dont quite agree with POOJA. PROBATION IS NECCESSARY AT WHATEVER LEVEL OF MANAGEMENT.even top managers are people who are likely to faulter on their work.this period prepares one for the task ahead. Sometimes interviews alone are not enough for veting some one completely.Remember, people are always their best when it comes to interviews, performance is another issue that leaves question marks that need to be answered during this period.

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.