sanghamitra panda
Dear Seniors, Greetings for the Day. Is probation period more than three months is illegal??? Here I am waiting for your valuable reply. Thanks, Sanghamitra
From India, Bhubaneswar
hr_jeevan

Hi Sanghamitra
Probation period for more than 3 months is not illegal and firstly that should be taken under consideration of being legal or illegal. Probation period is defined on the below parameters
- As per the organization (which differs org to org.)
- Probation can be defined min of 3 months and max of 1 year
- Probation period also depends on the level of position within the org.
Ex: An executive can have 3 months probation in an org. where in a Asst. Manager/Manager can have 6 months & Sr. Manager and above can have 1 year. It all depends on the organizations structure and as per the policies defined accordingly.
Please do revert for any further queries or details you may require.
Regards
Jeevan

From India, Thiruvananthapuram
V.Raghunathan

Hi Sanghamitra,
Mr Jeevan has given all the basics of Probation.
Almost 37 years back I remember starting my career as a Probationary Engineer.
It was with a well known Public Sector and Probation period at that time was TWO years.
Of course in the recent times Probation periods are not that long.
One aspect I would like to add is the probability of PROBATION being extended.
Suppose an employee is on Probation for 6 Months and at the end of 6 months,
if his performance is not found upto the requirement, there is a possibility of his
Probation being extended by few more months.
In worst cases some one may not be getting confirmation at all.
Everything is legal as most companies create suitable confirmation policies.
V.Raghunathan..................................... .................................................. ...... Navi Mumbai

From India
sanghamitra panda
Hi Mr. Jeevan,
Thanks for giving me the reply. Actually currently I am working as HR cum Admin Executive in a software company & my probation period is for 1 year & I have signed one bond with this company for 1 year inclusive of probation period. but now i want to leave this organization due to some personal issues so what type of complication I'll face if I'll leave the job in between my bond period.
Thanks,
Sanghamitra

From India, Bhubaneswar
Ankita1001

Hi Sanghamitra,
As you said you've signed a bond of 1 year, inclusive of your probation, it means that the bond is valid till 1 year from your date of joining.
How long have you been in this company now?
If you wish to break the bond and wish to continue in other aspect -
1. Read the bond breakage clause - What would be the liability on your side if you break the bond. Usually it is payment of some lumpsum amount that the employer shells out for your training.
2. What is the termination policy of your company. Understand that and act accordingly.
3. Discuss with your senior about your issues and try to find out if your problem could be categorized as genuine and if some consideration can be provided.
Wish you all the best :)
Hope it helped.

From India, Mumbai
S.Boopathi

Considering Probation period I think we were all forget Standing order of the company..... Am I right??? S.B.Pathi...
From India, Coimbatore
RAMAKANT R

Dear Sanghamitra,
The probation period is totally as per Employers policy. As per Maharashtra Government (For Government in Higher & Technical Education Ministry) the Probation is for 2 years.
Ramakant

From India, Pune
Gurgaon HR

Probation period is depend upon the company policy and nothing is illegal in that and extension of the probation period is also company decision. Chill HR !!
From India, Gurgaon
bk mohanty

Dear Sanghamitra,
The probation period is generally kept by a company with a basic purpose to assess your activities, performances and potential to cope up and deliver the goods as per their requirement. To assess the reasonable period is 6 months which can be further extended by another 3 to 6 months. 3 months period is too less to judge and assess an employee because to get along will take minimum two months or so
Coming back to your leaving the organisation, if the probation is 1 year, then you may not have to pay back any notice pay which can be verified from the terms and conditions of your letter and in eventuality you are liable to get your unpaid dues if any in the form of settlement.
regards
bkmohanty
Advisor and Sr Consultant

From India, Bhubaneswar
adnaan

Hi, It depends from Organization to Organization. Generally probation would be from 6 Months to 1 Year. There is nothing called illegal.
From India, Hyderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.