No Tags Found!

seema.rajeurs

I beg to differ. A JD is given as a base or foundation to start upon. all other responsibilities you accept are like necessary additional baggage. A JD need not be elaborate to encompass all that.
From India, Bangalore
tsivasankaran

HI
Thought provoking
I think what Mr Hari is communicating is that Jobs are becoming so dynamic today,it is difficult to keep Job Decriptions updated once every quarter of the year.
Instead the focus is getting shifted to Competency
Jobs keep changing but some of the competency rquired for doing these jobs will remain same hence the shift is from Job Description to Competency Mapping
Siva

From India, Chennai
Jeroo Chandiok

I agree with Siva.

The original posting by Hari does not really say do away with job descriptions, it says that job descriptions as are understood by us today are becoming obsolete and do not really reflect our competencies.

Doing what Hari says, is redefining 'job descriptions' into competencies, and that too, competencies that have been adopted by the persons who are good at them. Remember, if you enjoy what you are doing, you will have won a major battle. Choosing your own competencies is a radical but very logical idea. Reviewing these competencies every six months, for instance, will result in these becoming more and more finetuned.

I'd go a step further. Where jobs are identified as being most unpopular, we need to understand why these jobs are required, and how they can be simplified, or redesigned to make them more attractive to accomplish, or whether they can be shared out between two or more individuals who can handle them more adequately, or even whether they can be farmed out to other departments who can do them more effectively and in a much better way.

It's really food for thought, and I think we CiteHR addicts should seriously consider adopting this method!

What say you?

Jeroo

From India, Mumbai
Kanchan.A.
Such a thing happens only where people assume that they know what they need to do.But yes Job description do provide an outline to a person to chart down his reponsibilities and make further plannings.
From India, Bhopal
vinodsomal

Friends

This is so much true. I must say that the article deals with some harsh basic factors which we under the guise of HR professionals choose to ignore because we do not want to diverge from the traditional HR basic principles and best practices. As one of our friend has posted, JDs are slowly becoming obsolete as far as the day-to-day functions are concerned.

At the same time, I do want to re-iterate that JDs become handy at the time of 'recruitment' and I repeat 'recruitment' only because at that stage, we need to know what the dept wants in a person whom we are going to recruit. Therefore, in as much as we do seem to realise the un-usefulness of a JD in a day-to-day functions, when a dept sends a Manpower Requisition Form to HR, they should look at the JD which probably has been prepared some time or years back and send an updated MRF to HR. This way, the re-evaluation of jobs will be a continuous process and the functions and responsibilities of a department will be strengthened on a regular basis.

This is my view.

Thanks.

Vinod Somal

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Modesto Tolentino Jr.

Job descriptions actually are very useful. They are just not being followed most of the time, but if there are observed, they will ensure a bettter and smoother maximization of the organisation's human resource.
From Philippines
itemptu

Hi Hari,
I am sure you are not even whats use and power or Good JD. If you dont know certain thing, please dont upload your own view about JD.
If you want to know the power and use of JD, please contact me at
Cheers!!
Joe.. Mumbai

From India, Mumbai
jsony
Definitely i agree with this, if we describe the job then employee is restricted in a particular area, for this lake of team building spirit & lake of knowledge, every one try to accomplish there work & not help the other or we can say one can't be able to perform other task, when other on the leave or left the job.JD is imp in some extend.
From India, Bhopal
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Mr Hari Nair,
Lot of views have been said by other members of this forum.
I can only say that for today's ills of our country, can we blame our constitution? Former president Mr KR Narayan had asked us to introspect - who has failed what - has constitution failed us or we failed the constitution?
Today we may think of abrogating Job Description and possibly there could be another article on how management science is useless and recommendation for its abrogation may also follow.
Management is a science. Its execution is art. Just because few artist failed, should we abandon the science itself? If it is so is it not something we are throwing away proverbial baby along with bathwater?
Thanks,
Dinesh V Divekar
Soft Skill & Behavioural Trainer
Bangalore

From India, Bangalore
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Mr Hari Nair,
Lot of views have been said by other members of this forum.
I can only say that for today's ills of our country, can we blame our constitution? Former president Mr KR Narayan had asked us to introspect - who has failed what - has constitution failed us or we failed the constitution?
Today we may think of abrogating Job Description and possibly there could be another article on how management science is useless and recommendation for its abrogation may also follow.
Management is a science. Its execution is art. Just because few artist failed, should we abandon the science itself? If it is so then are we not throwing away proverbial baby along with bathwater?
Thanks,
Dinesh V Divekar
Soft Skill & Behavioural Trainer
Bangalore

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.