No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Hi All, I am presently working in an MNC. Recently, I got selected in another company so I accepted their offer and resigned from my present company. My present company was not happy as they said that I am doing well on my job and they want me to stay. A few days later they told me that they will give me a better job profile, salary, etc. so I decided to stay. I informed the other company that I will not be able to join them and apologised to them. Now, even the other company was not happy that I was not joining them.

Now, I have a couple of queries.

1. My present company asked me what commitment I can give them as I had resigned and I said that I will stay for a couple of years. This was just a verbal communication and no bond was signed (there is no bond in our company). If I were to leave them in 5-6 months, would my present company get disappointed and give me a negative reference?

2. As I declined an offer from the other company, would they not hire me in the future. In general, does declining a job offer that you accepted make you ineligible for future employment with that company?

Thanks.

From India, Pune
nashbramhall

Kindly put yourself in the position of those employers and tell us what you would feel and do, if an employee or would be employee were to do what you intend to do or did.
From United Kingdom
tajsateesh

Hello,

Simhan is very right.

And coming to another perspective--as a Thumbrule, NEVER EVER reconsider your resignation UNLESS there are very very strong grounds to do so.

You will always be a suspect for a long time.....until you get to prove your loyalty all over again--and not many get chances to do so. And even IF you sign a Bond, chances are high that you may NOT be given the same level of challenging work later.

And your experience in the present Company after resigning is pretty standard SOP for any HR.....they are doing THEIR job by trying a brainwashing session. And YOUR JOB is to figure-out what's in YOUR interest.

Coming to the current situation, suggest DON'T think of changing for AT LEAST an year or so.

BTW, you mentioned "they told me that they will give me a better job profile, salary, etc"--did you get what was promised?

And pl forget the other Company for any future chances at least for a few years [by when the I/V records would have been discarded].....EXCEPT IF your skillset is very tough-to-get.

And it's nothing to do with eligibility--the very same psychological mental block that's operating in your present Company works there too..........albeit in a reverse way.

Next time, THINK in a 360 deg view before you make a move.

All the Best.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
Anonymous
Hi Tajsateesh,
Thank You for your reply.
I was apprehensive when I resigned from my present company (though I have decided to stay now). The reason for my apprehension was that they said things like it is not good that I resigned as I am doing well and that I will NOT leave a good impression behind if I leave as my resignation was not expected by them. I thought that as they are not happy with me leaving, they will give me a negative reference. That stopped me from going to the other company. In addition, they said that they will look at my salary, job profile, etc.
Can a present manager give a negative reference because an employee is leaving for a more lucrative opportunity and they are not happy with the resignation?
Also, why do you suggest that I should NOT think of changing at least for a year or so?

From India, Pune
tajsateesh

Vis-a-vis your line "............they said things like it is not good that I resigned as I am doing well and that I will NOT leave a good impression behind if I leave as my resignation was not expected by them", in a way they are right.

However, this is ALSO akin to what many Cricketers do.......retire [in your case, resign] when they are @ the TOP.......right?

Another angle to this is: no Company.....REPEAT NONE......will ever leave a guy who has proven himself in work. So, they are, by & large, only stating your professional standing.

However, your apprehension that they MAY give you a negative reference later will depend on NOT the fact that you are leaving BUT HOW you are leaving....and this doesn't include resignation, as everyone who has to quit HAS to first resign. If your exit is rough, there are chances of it happening. Else, I don't see any reason for your doubts.

The answer to your query "why do you suggest that I should NOT think of changing at least for a year or so?" is the same as what you mentioned earlier--My present company asked me what commitment I can give them.

Obviously they are worried about this aspect. Since you mentioned you would stay for ~2 yrs, better stick to as close as possible to that timeline.

All the Best.

Rgds,

TS

From India, Hyderabad
Anonymous
Ok Tajsateesh,
Please can you explain your line your apprehension that they MAY give you a negative reference later will depend on NOT the fact that you are leaving BUT HOW you are leaving.
How can we ensure that the exit is smooth and not rough. Is it by properly training the new joiner or person who will take my work? Or is there something else to it?

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.