Riji

Hi ,
one of my senior employees has come back to us for gratuity and i really don't have an idea on this.can anybody explain me in detail about the laws and how to calculate the gratuity...
Please help me in this..........
Thanks in advance
Riji

From India, Kochi
jayabarati
Dear Riji,
Eligibility:
* An employee should have completed 5 years of service in the organisation.
* If served one day less also the employee is not eligible for gratuity
* Over and above 5 years, less than six months is treated as zero and
more than six months is treated as 1 year
Gratuity calculation :
(Basic + DA + Personal pay) x 15 days
--------------------------------------------- x No. of years served
26 working days
Hope this is simple and clear.
Regards
Bharathi

Alin

hi riji,
to add to that,
its a regular practise of the management to put away a part of money on a monthly basis.
if that has been done, the management has to part with a chunk, but it has to be paid if the employee has been working for over five years.
Regards
Sneha

From India, Madras
rollysrivastava

HI jaya/ riji
Only to add that gratuity period is calculated over 5 yrs for every completed year of service i.e. even if the employee has worked for 6 yrs and 11 months he will get gratuity for 6 yrs not seven yrs.
Rolly

From India, New Delhi
ariraj

Hi,
There is no doubt Completion of Five years of service is compulsory for availing gratuity. But pls. go through Madras HC Judgement and below I am giving the abstract of the Same.
"Madras High Court, has held that an employee rendering continuous service for a period of 240 days in the 5th year, will be deemed to have continued in service for one year as stipulated by sec.2-A of the payment of Gratuity Act. In this case, the employee has put in his service for 10 months 18 days in the 5th year subsequent to 4th year, the Madras High Court has held that it will be treated as continuous five years of service and as such he will be entitled to gratuity"
For further details pls. go through March2004 Labour Law Reporter.
A.R.Ariraj

From India, Ghaziabad
Subrato Banerjee

Hi,
One of the conditions for availing Gratuity is 5 yrs. continuous service and not 5 completed years of service. If you see the definition of Continuous service it means completion of 240 days work in a year including the holidays. This in effect means if some one has put in 240 days in his/her 5th year he/she may jolly well make an application to the Management for claiming Gratuity.
Regards
Subrato

sakthivel_g
If employees completes 5 yrs and 6 months then the service year to be calculated as 6 yrs. Moreover I think in Gratuity calculation, no need to include personal pay. Only Basic + DA is enough.
Thanks
G Sakthi

shan_prem2001
Dear Rolly, After fivce years of service, 6 months and above will be treated as one year for calculating gratuity. Regards, SHAN

akatrap

Dear Riji,
This very important question you have faced with.
You have to follow the following steps:
1. When the employee joins the orgs., please fill his gratuity nomination form, which G.L.O. will always asked for.
2. employee should have completed continuous service of 5 years in the organisation.
3. Over and above 5 years, less than six months is treated as zero and
more than six months is treated as 1 year
Gratuity calculation :
(Basic + DA + Personal pay) x 15 days
--------------------------------------------- x No. of years served
26 working days
Please feel free any querry if you have.
With Regards
Avinash K.

From India, Mumbai
welcomeumesh

Hi
Form F is filled for Gratuity nomination and Form I for its withdrawal. Also to add Gratuity is calcultaed in the last basic+ da drawn, if not da, then only on basic.
regards,
Umesh Chaudhary
(umesh.chaudhary@ril.com)

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.