nashbramhall

Please read all the comments before adding your views. Repeating what has already been said in different words does not make any sense.
From United Kingdom
karamv

Dear Ponnam,
According to my opinion this is not right but we can say like
May i know i m talking with
who is on the line
who is calling
who is speaking
Poonam just i m giving example on this topic:
we make a call or receive call it means we would like to talk to third person in this sense we use "is"
suppose that person is in front of us then we can say "How are you" here "are" is used for second person.but note that are itself as a third person.
Many time we use like " How is she?
It means is, am , are is the third person.
is, is used for third person
are is used for second person
am is used for self.
don't confuse you can find this things in oxford very easily
May hope it will help you
karamvir
HR Officer
Bawal (Haryana)

From India, Jhajjar
malvina
Poonam, Whether you’re at home or in the workplace, there’s a nice way to find out who’s on the other end. “May I ask who’s calling” sounds much nicer than “who’s this? or who r u calling”
From India, Calcutta
tkc
Dear Sir,
To a person visiting this site need not bother about Good English is a debatable quetion. Any person visiting any English language site is supposed to know good English rather than better English, as otherwise such person may misinterpret and assume different meaning.
While this is so one of your readers(who spoke of coaching) used the sentence: 'It is high time we have to........'
In fact the sentence is used in the following format: 'It is time or It is hightime we did something.......'
and not in the former format.
Regards

From India, Madras
Singh.Shipra

Dear Mr. Krishna Pandey!!
I'll take it as a complement. Thank you. I sincerely hope that u din talk about me wen u said that one shudnt demotivete a reader..... I apologise if I sounded rude or demotivating or if, in any way, I made any one hesitent...
Regards,
Shipra

From India, Ghaziabad
dedra05
I am English
The correct response is
May I ask who is calling please? ( If you wish to know the name of the caller )
or
Who would you like to speak to? ( If you wish to know who the caller would like to be connected to )
hope this clears thing up

From United Kingdom, Maidstone
nashbramhall

I am amazed that queries such as this get so many responses, where as queries that require HR experts to contribute hardly get such attention.
Even after people have given excellent responses with examples, others keep contributing with similar responses to those already given.
Have a lovely day and please consider contributing to other queries too.
Simhan

From United Kingdom
Sunita Sawant

Hi,
Grammatically, 'who' is used when you are denoting the subject/doer of the action. For eg. Who is shouting?, who is crying?, who is talking etc. 'Whom' is used in the nominative/ object form of the verb. For eg. whom are you talking with?, whom are you staring at?, whom are you calling tonight?, etc. The doer of the action in this case is 'YOU'.
Hence, (if I have understood the context correctly), the sentence 'Who are you calling?' is incorrect. It should be 'whom are you calling?'

From India, Mumbai
vkokamthankar

• Grammar is one thing and mannerism and courtesy another.
  • Whatever you say or write may be grammatically correct but may still be offending or may sound improper.
  • 'May I know who is speaking please?' may be the right choice.

From India, Pune
Krishna Kumar Pandey

Dear Shipra,Welcome!No I did not understand any thing wrong in your case.....but in life every one does a mistake, and we learnt from that mistake. We the HR should not de-motivate our own professional - mate. Thanks Krishna Kumar pandey <a href="mailto:hr.k.k.pandey@gmail.com">
From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.