aussiejohn

I just shake my head and ask the same questions. Time and time again we read the same thing here on CiteHR. I mean no disrespect to people who have been fortunate in obtaining jobs, but in all honesty, how can you do a job you know nothign about. In the end, you are setting yourself up for a lot of stress and heartache. I suspect Management has no idea about the role and importance of HR and are not treating the matter seriously.
It clearly demonstrates critical failings with recruitment and selection processes in these companies.

From Australia, Melbourne
Ankita1001

That's true about HR in India.

I do not know how long would it take for people even in corporate here to understand the role of HR.

While I was doing my MBA in HR, people thought I was fool to not take up Finance while my numerical skills were good and I was quick in learning balance sheets and all. They suggested if Finance is tough, I should take up Marketing so that I can get ROI on the fees I paid. They mocked me when I said I want to do HR cause I love HR. While many of my friends were campus selected and I was sitting at home job hunting for a long 6-8 months, all those people came to re-emphasise what a big mistake I did by taking up HR, wasted my 2 years and all the money....

I realized if we cannot change the perspective of people working in industry, we cannot change a layman's view. HR is just a department for most firms especially private small/medium firms. They take up a person who may be fresher or who may not have relevant experience/skill/knowledge only because they can hire them cheap. Perhaps the mentality is, what knowledge you need to recruit a person? Anyone can do that. What knowledge you need to file documents? Even a peon can do so. Thankfully peons are not made HRs in this cost cutting age.

I believe there should be proper promotion, and if not promotion at least people should be educated on HR. Recruitment is outsourced to recruitment consultancy to save time and cost. But how time/cost effective is this solution? I had gone to a consultancy for an interview. But I declined to work there as my counterparts were not even graduates, and were pursuing B.Com/BA had 0 skills on screening resumes and what key words to fetch (sure technical knowledge cannot be possessed by all but a recruiter's main thing is to know what to keep and which CVs to reject. Unless one know proper JD and specification and its significance, I do not understand how would you work on an opening?)

Rare are the consultancies who employ only MBA (HRs) as recruiters. Worked with one such and gained good knowledge. It was a different experience. Felt privileged even to work in a consultancy....

If the view point towards HR changes from being cost center to strategic business partner, things would perhaps start to improve. But the transition is what is difficult to do, yet not impossible.

All these was with no offense intended to the people who are into HR with no proper schooling. I do not mean to hurt anyone's sentiment and efforts that they have put in to get that job and perform in the role. However, the fact can't be changed that HR's role is taken very lightly compared to anyone else's role in most organizations.

From India, Mumbai
kokkirigadda

Sir,
I did my MBA in HR/Mrktg in 2011. I joined this company in the month of April 2012 as Customer Support Executive. The HR who was working earlier left the organisation.During that time one of the employee who was senior was doing HR activities and that employee also left now. So i am the one who did MBA in HR and i told the management earlier about my interest in HR so they offered me this role as additional responsibility. Actually before joining this company i searched for HR job but could not get so i joined as Customer Support Executive in this company. Our company is a start up company. We have only 18 employees. It was started in 2008. It was into realestate advisory. So you can give me your suggestions accordingly.
Thank & Regards
Mrudula

From India, Hyderabad
kokkirigadda

Thank you very much sir. The link which you gave is very useful to me and i will definetly update myself with the valuable inputs which you mentioned.
Thanks & Regards
Mrudula.

From India, Hyderabad
pramodS1974
for green field project HR role,and legal requirement for start company
From India, Gurgaon
nagu-babu

As for the job role of HR, it all depends. Assuming a very basic role in HR following list shows a few responsibilities of an HR
1. Recruitment -
Understanding manpower requisition from the concerned department.
Understanding the requirement and accordingly drafting a job description and getting it approved from the concerned person.
Sourcing candidates that match the desired skills.
Screening the candidates by conducting telephonic or personal interviews as the case may be.
Encouraging the employees to provide reference for better prospects.
Arranging for technical interview and coordinating with the concerned person.
Communicating the employment status to the applied candidates.
Maintaining and updating the database of the candidates.
Doing a background verification of the shortlisted candidates.
2. Induction and On-boarding
When a particular candidate is finalised and selected, giving him offer letter or letter of intent
On joining the services, issuing appointment letter with brief working agreement or policies.
Giving a description on the policies, procedures and culture followed by the company.
Properly filing relevant document of the new joinee as required.
Introducing him/her to the team and supervisor and/or manager.
Explaining the mode of communication.
Coordinating with the IT team to get his email id made.
3. HR Policies and HR Manual
If the company do not have an HR Manual, drafting the same for the company.
Making or Amending the existing policies and procedures.
4. Attendance and Leave records.
Keeping a track of the attendance of the employees.
Filing the leave forms and keeping a track of the leaves taken.
Seeing to it that there is not much absenteeism on any given day.
Seeing to it that no employee is irregular and if there are such people, taking corrective and/or preventive measures.
5. Performance Management
Helping the seniors do performance appraisal in a better way by adopting better appraisal practices.
6. Employee Engagement
Keeping a track on employee turnover and exit rate.
Taking initiatives to engage the staff to their work.
Taking the surveys in order to understand their engagement level and accordingly take actions.
Planning events or activities regularly or on some occassions, getting those approved by senior management and implementing those.
7. Workforce Management
Handling the staff so that people are not dissatisfied with each other.
Handling cross culture things.
See to it that there is no groupism or no dissatisfied person.
Other employee related issues.
8. Statutory Compliance
Leaves - as per the act that is applicable to you.
minimum salary
pf / esic / medical deductions as applicable
other compliances
9. Exit Formalities
Conducting exit interviews of candidates who are resigning.
Trying to get constructive feedback for company and trying to implement the corrective measures for them.
Helping the person to be relieved properly.
Issuing relieving letter and letter of experience.
Doing the full and final settlement for the person.
10. Compensation and Benefits
Designing the salary structure for employees
Helping employees save tax by advising them on tax benefits plans and other investment options
Calculating the Gratuity, Handling PF accounts, etc.
11. Employee Motivation and T&D/L&D
Many organizations have training sessions for their employees.
You can provide internal training by checking who has what to contribute and accordingly plan a training session.
On the contrary you can also hire trainers with specific skills.
You can also send motivational mails to employee on regular basis.
These are few basic responsibility an HR will have to handle.
Wish you all the best.

From India, Bengaluru
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.