No Tags Found!

tejaswinipatil
Dear All
I need valuable inputs from you all, regarding how can an MBA institute position itself as a better B School to study Human Resource as a specialization.
I am referring to , being in a HR Team in a institute how can we create interest among students to opt HR as specialization in that particular institute.
How can we make students feel interesting about HR classes.
Will be waiting for ur inputs.
Have a gud day..!
Regards
Tejaswini
Lecturer - HR
Global Business School
Hubli

From India, Bangalore
Hussain Zulfikar

Ms Tejaswini,

A very interesting and much required question you have raised in today’s times. Suggestions can run into many pages however few pointers I can suggest are:

Involve Students in Practical HR functions by role play in following areas :

Interview Techniques

Appraisals Interviews

Induction and orientation

Cold Calling

Head Hunting

Payrolling

Exit Interviews and Retention Strategies

Soft Skills Trainings

HR Forms and Procedures

Job Descriptions and analysis

Advertising and Vendor management

Compliance

HR Audit

Corporate Social Initiatives

Keep lecturing in class to minimum, MBA students are grown up responsible adults, discuss the syllabus at the start of the academic session and leave the reading and notes making to students.

During class hours, students must be made to speak the maximum, instead of teachers talking and students yawning !! Divide class into groups and allot assignments of various kinds ( HR concepts and Strategies), instruct groups to prepare presentations, each students must contribute certain number of Slides with Information.

According to me, the most boring Subject in HR is Labor Law and fortunately it’s the most important for being an HR, so make Labor Law Classes most interesting by discussing landmark judgements in HR field. As a teacher one must thoroughly understand the relevant labor Laws, prepare presentations and explain to students relevant application of laws instead of making students go through mundane, boring, exhaustive articles and language used in Laws. Students must learn the moral of the story and not the details of how exactly cases happened. Avoid too much of information download on students.

Let each students take up a topic and explain to class, teacher can always back up an explanation if a student is not smart enough to put it across. Teacher must involve with students in order to get the best out of each students as per their strength and weaknesses.

In my personal Opinion, when students are trained to give public presentations, I have seen lot of emphasis is given on speaking English, knowing the demography of our country not everyone is a good English speaking person, that doesn’t mean they don’t have the skills and ability to be a manager or leader of tomorrow, essence of presentation is to develop public speaking skills and confidence, be it any understandable language of the masses, in India its Hindi, So first develop the personality and with renewed confidence student would pick up on its weaknesses also.

Invite HR friends and Contacts from several companies (IT, ITes, manufacturing, Trading, FMCG, banks etc) to interact with students, don’t make it a lecture type, brief the guest to make the session interesting by encouraging questions. Invite HR professionals from mixed levels of management, from a recruiter, admin executives to VPs and CEOs if possible, lets students get an insight in all levels respectively.

Conduct personality development sessions, E mail writing, Workplace Ethics and Etiquettes etc. First train HR students in this aspects and let Senior Students give presentations / groom / mentor Freshers or Juniors. This will provide real time experience to HR students, Increase interactions and friendship among Seniors and Juniors, and other benefits.

Make Students internet friendly, computer friendly, encourage lot of computer related assignments.

Map students and design a development program to make all students technically sound and equal, identify weak students and brief them to work harder, provide constructive criticism and feedback to students for continuous developments.

Don’t spoon feed students with ready made notes, let students work in a team and arrange their own notes, however be proactively involved to supervise what notes are compiled.

Create awareness amongst students about the reality of HR fields, pros, cons, get their expectations to reality. Being an MBA is not a ticket to Manager levels.

Encourage internship in HR fields for 6 months during MBA tenure, let student share their experiences. Make students speak, speak and speak, open their minds, open their hearts, excite them, encourage them, provoke them to be good citizens of tomorrow.

Make them job seekers, rather than sit blindly for campus placements or day dream about plum offers landing in their lap because they paid so and so amount to do an MBA.

The above mentioned suggestions are too good to be true or applied or easier said than done, but as a teacher, as an MBA institute, as a mentor, right way is never easy, strive to attempt and aim to achieve.

There is a famous saying : When student is ready, teacher appears !!

Best of Luck

From Kuwait, Salmiya
Hussain Zulfikar

Ms Tejaswini,

A very interesting and much required question you have raised in today’s times. Suggestions can run into many pages however few pointers I can suggest are:

Involve Students in Practical HR functions by role play in following areas :

Interview Techniques

Appraisals Interviews

Induction and orientation

Cold Calling

Head Hunting

Payrolling

Exit Interviews and Retention Strategies

Soft Skills Trainings

HR Forms and Procedures

Job Descriptions and analysis

Advertising and Vendor management

Compliance

HR Audit

Corporate Social Initiatives

Keep lecturing in class to minimum, MBA students are grown up responsible adults, discuss the syllabus at the start of the academic session and leave the reading and notes making to students.

During class hours, students must be made to speak the maximum, instead of teachers talking and students yawning !! Divide class into groups and allot assignments of various kinds ( HR concepts and Strategies), instruct groups to prepare presentations, each students must contribute certain number of Slides with Information.

According to me, the most boring Subject in HR is Labor Law and fortunately it’s the most important for being an HR, so make Labor Law Classes most interesting by discussing landmark judgements in HR field. As a teacher one must thoroughly understand the relevant labor Laws, prepare presentations and explain to students relevant application of laws instead of making students go through mundane, boring, exhaustive articles and language used in Laws. Students must learn the moral of the story and not the details of how exactly cases happened. Avoid too much of information download on students.

Let each students take up a topic and explain to class, teacher can always back up an explanation if a student is not smart enough to put it across. Teacher must involve with students in order to get the best out of each students as per their strength and weaknesses.

In my personal Opinion, when students are trained to give public presentations, I have seen lot of emphasis is given on speaking English, knowing the demography of our country not everyone is a good English speaking person, that doesn’t mean they don’t have the skills and ability to be a manager or leader of tomorrow, essence of presentation is to develop public speaking skills and confidence, be it any understandable language of the masses, in India its Hindi, So first develop the personality and with renewed confidence student would pick up on its weaknesses also.

Invite HR friends and Contacts from several companies (IT, ITes, manufacturing, Trading, FMCG, banks etc) to interact with students, don’t make it a lecture type, brief the guest to make the session interesting by encouraging questions. Invite HR professionals from mixed levels of management, from a recruiter, admin executives to VPs and CEOs if possible, lets students get an insight in all levels respectively.

Conduct personality development sessions, E mail writing, Workplace Ethics and Etiquettes etc. First train HR students in this aspects and let Senior Students give presentations / groom / mentor Freshers or Juniors. This will provide real time experience to HR students, Increase interactions and friendship among Seniors and Juniors, and other benefits.

Make Students internet friendly, computer friendly, encourage lot of computer related assignments.

Map students and design a development program to make all students technically sound and equal, identify weak students and brief them to work harder, provide constructive criticism and feedback to students for continuous developments.

Don’t spoon feed students with ready made notes, let students work in a team and arrange their own notes, however be proactively involved to supervise what notes are compiled.

Create awareness amongst students about the reality of HR fields, pros, cons, get their expectations to reality. Being an MBA is not a ticket to Manager levels.

Encourage internship in HR fields for 6 months during MBA tenure, let student share their experiences. Make students speak, speak and speak, open their minds, open their hearts, excite them, encourage them, provoke them to be good citizens of tomorrow.

Make them job seekers, rather than sit blindly for campus placements or day dream about plum offers landing in their lap because they paid so and so amount to do an MBA.

The above mentioned suggestions are too good to be true or applied or easier said than done, but as a teacher, as an MBA institute, as a mentor, right way is never easy, strive to attempt and aim to achieve.

There is a famous saying : When student is ready, teacher appears !!

Best of Luck

From Kuwait, Salmiya
tejaswinipatil
Dear Sir
Thanks a ton for such a wonderful guidance.
Making students know things by themselves is really a great idea, but thing is that students should also have that interest of learning things.
I will surely take it up.
Sir this time am handling Human Resource Developement . Can we just give students a simple project of "Study of HRD Process" or can we go beyond that.Designing Training Modules for corporates in Hubli / Dharwad is not working.Am just scratching my head on how to make the subject live.
Waiting for your reply sir.
Good day ..!
Regards
Tejaswini

From India, Bangalore
Hussain Zulfikar

Ms Tejaswini,

“but thing is that students should also have that interest of learning things.”

This is a sad truth of our MBA programs, as I mentioned earlier, MBA students are responsible adults and can decide for themselves, if they are willing to learn they will cooperate, ones who don’t care, don’t matter. Now I understand this attitude is not feasible as in HR class say 15 out of 20 students are time passing and not serious, doing MBA for the heck of it to extend their college life at their father’s expense also distracting the committed ones.

This is a challenge faced by almost all upcoming, non reputable, easy to enter, donation based MBA institute. We don’t get to hear this issues of Student’s disinterest from IIMs, FMS, ISB, Symbiosis or such elites.

Solution is hidden in the attitude of the management of such institutes, if they are strict, disciplined and committed to impart effective training worth the caliber of MBA then students will fall in line. You can refer to my post on this issue.

https://www.citehr.com/351648-drawba...prve-them.html

Regarding Project on Study of HRD Processes, you break this down into various modules, prepare task list and distribute among the teams in the class to research and prepare a presentation. Let students become teachers and teach their colleagues under supervision.

Stimulate the creativity, initiative, interest, curiosity amongst students for the subject by sighting case studies how HR has changed companies, society and over all work experience in the society, site examples from Pre industrial era, Industrial era and our today’s times. Discuss, debate, brainstorm formation, evolution, invention, discoveries of various HR concepts. Provide role model examples to students to look upto, discuss achievements of HR greats such as; Peter Drucker, Henry Fayol, Federick Herzberg, F W Taylor, many more. Stimulate students imagination, give them a role model to emulate in HR field.

As I mentioned, let students learn themselves. Give them topics to learn and conduct MCQ tests in the class almost everyday, prepare tough, interactive and effective MCQs (Multiple choice Questionnaire).

MBA is a higher level study, don’t spoon feed or pamper students, they need to prepare themselves for the mean calculative world ahead. Relate every effort, every training, every lecture, every concept with its cost implication on business. Connect students with reality of functioning business model.

In study of HRD process example recruitment :

Let student learn themselves what is recruitment, but during class, teach the reality of recruitment, strategies (not only the bookish ones) but what goes in reality. Teach how recruitment affects cost and revenue, work on hypothetical figures, give a percentage, calculation, cause and affect of this concepts on profitability of the business. Discuss true case studies, invite recruiters for interactions with students, make them do , speak, present, make them act, this is how you can make HR live and interesting.

As a teacher, you need to be on your toes, research, prepare presentations, MCQs, activities, increase your Industry contacts, be a step ahead of students.

“Designing Training Modules for corporates in Hubli / Dharwad is not working”

Why do you say so ??

and please call me "Hussain" I m not that qualified and experienced to be called "Sir"

From Kuwait, Salmiya
accvasu1

Dear Tejaswini,
I really appriciate your efforts in bringing intrest in HR.
We are a ggroup of individuals helping young individuals in shaping their career goals. As an organization we are focussed to give attention individually. Should any of your students need professional help in identifying suitable job, or support in facing interviews and other related issues at Bangalore they can meet us/mail us or even call us for discussions.
We are a non profit organization and we do not charge for consulting .
our Id
call us on 07353760900.

From India, Bangalore
tejaswinipatil
Dear Vasudev Sir
Nice to interact with people like you.
I feel it would be a great pleasure to have your team to our campus for a workshop on Career Counseling or Pre -Placement Activity and also on recent topics related to HR.
If you feel the task is good for your team Kindly revert back to this thread.
Regards
Tejaswini
Lecturer ( HR Chair )
Global Business School
Hubli

From India, Bangalore
accvasu1

Tejaswini,
Yes we can take a one day workshop in career counselling.
You can be in touch with me through mail

or
tools_
u can contact me on my cell 07353760900
vasudev

From India, Bangalore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.