No Tags Found!

Ash Mathew

This is just my opinion :

Whenever candidates tell me that tehy are expecting a hike in the next few months and demand an additional hike from that - I hardly consider them.

Reason: Perf appraisal is nearing (how sure can one be that he will get a cwertain % hike?)

I once asked a candidate to get back to me after his apprasial is done and then consider him forthe hike he expected.

He called in two weeks, and told me he is ready to come for what he is getting now

I have also had experience where people tell me abt their appraisal and that they got acertain % hike, and these people were also called for a final round...but somehow did not appeal to us becuase of tehir "Arrogant" nature.

Just thought of sharing my thought.

2 - Why do you think you should get a 40% hike ?

Naturally, to correct this imbalance :icon1:. Well, I have other reasons as well. Normally a job change involves a hike of xx - xx %. Moreover, I have been rated very highly in my apparisals and I am expecting at least 20 - 30 % increment. [This is to show-off your performance].
Moreover, as an HR professional I keep tabs on the compensation packages at various levels in various industries. You must be aware that Mercer's findings say that this year there has been xx % [this is before recession] increase in salaries across all sectors. [This is to show-case your understanding of Compensation management and salary administration, as an HR professional].
Looking into all these factors, I don't think a 40% hike is unreasonable.

From India, Madras
das.jerosia
Hi Everybody,

Hi Asha your answers are really very nice, I'm really pleased by your answers which you have given for a few questions of others.

A very interesting thread, for a lot of question which was unanswered in my mind I have got the answer from this thread, I would request you to help in getting answer for a few of my question please. This was the quetions which was asked to me 2 yeasrs back when I had to face interview.

1. Why is that you are still a Team member when you have done PGDBA which is equal to MBA? Why did you not aim for better position ? I was really dipressed after this interview. I was not able to give a proper answer also.

Now I work as an Manager Admin,

2 why is that you are asking for so much of hike?

I had asked for about 40% hike since I was already paid less than, that was my second reason for job change. But I was not able to give a proper answer. the answer mentioned above is just for your info actual this was in my mind.

Can you please help me in getting answer for these.

Thanks & regards

Monica

From India, Bangalore
YGeeta

Hey Guys,
Just a suggestion..
In an interview while there is no right or wrong answers we will come across different type of candidates,their opinion and logic will definitely differ,that is the beauty of being human.
Also the interviewers are varied and come with different mood,including horn and halo effect too, so they may like a response or they may not like ...
so I suggest the silent readers and active contributors just see the different responses and learn to appreciate the differences,no need to clarify or justify your responses..this is my feeling.
Change your colors like a chamelion(read your views and opinions) depending on your gut feeling on what kind of an interviewer you come across !:icon1:
Thanks
Geeta

From Korea, Seoul
Ash Mathew

No harm in giving an Opinion Ms. Geetha. Sometimes it's also necessary to know answers that dont work always :-)
Like for exaplme my answer "wafers & Bourbon biscuit"
Relax - dont take it as someone being insulted. It's after all sharing views.
No harm in doing it until I or someone says "Hey thats wierd" - which I did not ;-) RELAX

From India, Madras
Ash Mathew

Dear das.jerosia

This might help you....

1. Why is that you are still a Team member when you have done PGDBA which is equal to MBA? Why did you not aim for better position ? I was really dipressed after this interview. I was not able to give a proper answer also.

Now I work as an Manager Admin,

I would have said "Yes - I completed my PGDBA, and I AM aiming for a better position that can utilize the skills. However I believe practical exposure adds value with the education. So I am looking out for an opportunity that can accomodate the educational knowledge and help me deliver on the Job, and grow along with the Org"

2 why is that you are asking for so much of hike?

I had asked for about 40% hike since I was already paid less than, that was my second reason for job change. But I was not able to give a proper answer. the answer mentioned above is just for your info actual this was in my mind.

Good, you felt you were being paid less. In such cases you can try letting them know the real reason for a change and that you need a financial component too that can motivate you.

If this goes as a discussion - you could probably ask the interviewer to suggest what would be the best range he can offer - as you just mentioned a 40% hike is what you would like, but be open to be negotiable.

From India, Madras
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear friend You must start a new thread with your query. The situation posted by you, is interesting and I am sure many members would like to give their opinion on it. Regards.
From India, Delhi
nishantjoshi

Here’s one toughie - As a manager which of the two would you like to have in your team: a. A mediocre performer who is a great team player b. A good performer who is much of a looner
From India
nishantjoshi

These kind of questions are generally asked in a stress interview. I feel them to be one of the toughest to crack as it can make you fall from your chair if it comes suddenly out of the blue -

- What color is your brain?
- If you got on an elevator where everyone was facing the back, what would you do?
- Whom did you choose as your references and why?
- Why Manhole cover round? (Microsoft Favourite)

From India
abirami.pals4ever
Dear all, i am doing MBA-HR and i dont have work experience so i havent faced any interview but i gained some knowledge from ur inputs.thanks for ur sharings. Regards Abirami.
From India, Madras
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Hi Nishant
The choice depends upon the kind of assignment that the manager would be handling. In majority of cases the first choice - "A mediocre performer who is a great team player" is preferred. In fact, many good companies hire average people but with good attitude. You must have heard this opinion, "we don't need rocket scientists here".
But there are certain areas involving creativity and research etc; such as Advertising, Drug research, R&D etc. where "A good performer who is much of a loner" may be preferred.
Regards.

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.