bhonsle.vikram
-Better Opportunities -Family Pressures (Esp for Indian women) -Irregular Work hours -Traveling Concerns This is my take.... all employee centric I suppose
From India, Surat
geetha.manohar

Hi Vikram,
Not only family pressure, irregular working hours and convenience of travel are also primarily women- centric factors than for men!! They do play a major role in taking up a job or quitting a job.
Geetha

From India, Coimbatore
aftab4u

That depends totally in himself.....1 thing is sure if some one decides to leave he is going to leave thats what my experience says......you cant stop them.
Reasons and excuses will be always there....many of the people who leaves will find fault in heaven also...
Aftab

From India, Hyderabad
bhonsle.vikram
I agree.... However I feel the quantum of discomfort may be a bit more for a female employee.. IMHO only...
PS I was puzzled as to why you are collating the reasons ? Any job specific purpose ? or just academic ?

From India, Surat
Bruncha

Greetings,
My personal experience as well my professional experience suggests that most people leave jobs over the less tangibles, ie, relationships with superiors, respect, the chance to contribute or make a real difference, incompatible values, etc.
Money are perks are onluy major factors when either you are currently at the lower end of the pay scale, or operating in a traditionally unpaid profession ( like teaching, or adminstration) and you have the chance to take on a new role with substancial increases.
Further, people will turn down great packalges, if the environment is not right... I have.
Regards,

From United Arab Emirates, Dubai
geetha.manohar

Hi Vikram,
This posting is neither for academic purpose or a specific job purpose. This thread of thoughts have been running through me and I just wanted to check out others perceptions/views and in the process gain a broader perspective. J
Geetha

From India, Coimbatore
sushantRaj
Dear Geetha,

If you are looking this problem in such a manner I am slightly agree and disagree as well.

As if we look at current market situation we'll find huge speculation in the world market ,Companies are cutting the costs where ever it is possible ,they liniating the
entitlements as far as it is feasible ,etc.. just to make over from this head.

Now here is your answer,we all including i and you work to achieve our own objective through which we could make our life simple and sound ,may be happy, and every thing is come up with a price so to pay more we need more .

there are several other resons too, as you finely quoted ..

Now people are in panic -may be loosing the job, no increment this year ,no PLI's or may less not upto the one's expectation. So now these days more than 45 % of entire work force is looking for change..

So crux of the story is untill the market get establized and companies started their expention plans ,stick to your possitions

Thanks & Regards
Sushant

From India, Mumbai
sushantRaj
Dear Geetha,

If you are looking this problem in such a manner I am slightly agree and disagree as well.

As if we look at current market situation we'll find huge speculation in the world market ,Companies are cutting the costs where ever it is possible ,they liniating the
entitlements as far as it is feasible ,etc.. just to make over from this head.

Now here is your answer,we all including i and you work to achieve our own objective through which we could make our life simple and sound ,may be happy, and every thing is come up with a price so to pay more we need more .

there are several other resons too, as you nicely quoted ..

Now people are in panic -may be loosing the job, no increment this year ,no PLI's or may less not upto the one's expectation. So now these days more than 45 % of entire work force is looking for change..

So crux of the story is untill the market get establized and companies started their expention plans ,stick to your possitions

Thanks & Regards
Sushant

From India, Mumbai
bk_dilip

Hi Geetha, Well, Nice topic,

Well,Most of the Indian's go for No.9 & 10 because of traditional Mentality,more salary,perks and savings, forget about life styles, do not bother about life styles, only saving for future,

and Yes I accept No.2,which has 100% affected in all Organisations,because as Indian mentality,you will forget about ur past and even urself when u have a couple of yrs experience and have respected positions.

Well, No.1 is very rare, as my knowledge and specially In IT Companies.

Yes I agree with No 7 & 8.. and second thing is PROMOTIONS AND POSITIONS, within the team, Main reason is growing computions for self position,respect and career growth.

And at present,most of the people changes thier to get more scope and career advancedment, infact yes, we must to should not stick more than 2+ yrs in a organisation,to get the good salary,position and respect.etc. 3+ yrs in a org.is lacks slef confidenc to face interview within urself etc....well lots to share but later..pls

Though I would refer u to go thru the below article as well.by Chairman - Tata Sons.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side!!

Move from one job to another - but only for the right reasons.

It's yet another day at office. As I logged on to the marketing and advertising sites for the latest updates, as usual, I found the headlines dominated by "who's moving from one company to another after a short stint", and I wondered, "why are so many people leaving one job for another? Is it passe now to work with just one company for a sufficiently long period”?

Whenever I ask this question to people who leave a company, the answers I get are "Oh, I am getting a 200% hike in salary"; "Well, I am jumping three levels in my designation"; "Well, they are going to send me abroad in six months".

Then, I look around at all the people who are considered successful today and who have reached the top - be it a media agency, an advertising agency or a company. I find that most of these people are the ones who have stuck to the company, ground their heels and worked their way to the top.

And, as I look around for people who changed their jobs constantly, I find they have stagnated at some level, in obscurity!

In this absolutely ruthless, dynamic and competitive environment, there are still no short cuts to success or to making money. The only thing that continues to pay, as earlier, is Loyalty and Hard work. Yes, it pays! Sometimes - immediately, sometimes - after a lot of time. But, it does pay.

Does this mean that one should stick to an organisation and wait for that golden moment? Of course not. After a long stint, there always comes a time for moving, in most organisations. But, it is important to move for the right reasons - rather than superficial ones, like money, designation or an overseas trip.

Remember, no company recruits for charity.

More often than not, when you are offered an unseemly hike in salary or designation that is disproportionate to what that company offers its current employees, there is always unseen bait attached.

The result?

You will, in the long-term, have reached exactly the same levels or maybe lower levels, than what you would have in your current company.

A lot of people leave an organisation because they are "unhappy". What is this so-called-unhappiness? I have been working for donkey's years, and there has never been a day when I am not unhappy about something in my work - environment, boss, rude colleague, fussy clients, etc.

Unhappiness in a workplace, to a large extent, is transient.

If you look hard enough, there is always something to be unhappy about. But, more importantly, do I come to work to be "happy" in the truest sense? If I think hard, the answer is "No".

Happiness is something you find with family, friends, may be a close circle of colleagues who have become friends.

What you come to work for is to earn, build a reputation, satisfy your ambitions, be appreciated for your work ethics, face challenges and get the job done.

So, the next time you are tempted to move, ask yourself "why are you moving" and "what are you moving into”?

Some questions are

1) Am I ready and capable of handling the new responsibility? If yes, what could be the possible reasons my current company has not offered me the same responsibility

2) Who are the people who currently handle this responsibility in the current and the new company? Am I as good as the best among them?

3) As the new job offer has a different profile, why have I not given the current company the option to offer me this profile

4) Why is the new company offering me the job? Do they want me for my skills, or is there an ulterior motive?

An honest answer to these will eventually decide where you go in your career - either to the top of the pile, in the long-term (at the cost of short-term blips), or to become another average employee who gets lost with time in the wilderness?

Regards

Dilip

Bangalore

deenomony

Geetha,

I enjoy the topic under discussion. I would like to share my case.
1) Unacceptable behavior of your boss: sometimes its observed. But i am courageous to defend myself. I ofgen get agruments with him.
2) Unacceptable behavior of your colleagues/team: Not observed.
3) ‘Unprofessional’ behavior in the organization: Usually observed. People dont come to office on time. When i was new i used to shout against these unprofessional behaviours. The problem is this is a husband wife company. My boss wife is a lazy fellow. The office is very closer to their home. They treat it as their home.
4) You are not getting the ‘respect’ you deserve: I think you can not ask respect from others. people will respect you if you are respectable.
5) No recognition given for your work: A good employee is also recognized.
6) Bypassed for promotion: My organization is so small, after working here for 1 was promoted to Asst. MGR HR & Admin. Idont think my skills will conform to a similar position in large organization.

7) No challenge in the job – a ‘boring’ job!!! – No job satisfaction!!!! (as we are fond of saying!!!): Sometimes i feel it boring. I was appointed as HR person. After joining i realise there is nothing to do HR here. I only do recruitment off and on. Sometimes i need to develop policy as a discilinary action. What im dealing here is administration, preparation of some documents, dealing with vendors fro purchasing raw materials , co-ordination etc.
:cool: No scope for growth in career; As im not getting good HR exposure, i often get deprived. I am so conscious about my future career. I cant lie to myself.
9) Less salary – i.e., given salary does not meet your expectation/does not suit the lifestyle you want to lead- as i am only 1.8years old in my career, i am more or less satisfied with what i am getting.
10) Less perks: It being proprietorship co, there are HRA, DA, conveyance. I want my boss to implement these. We have more than 45 employees. But he is not interested, because his leabilities will increase.

Geetha, plz suggest your valuable inputs to my career.

Regards
Dinamani(dino)

From India, Calcutta
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.