AB_employee

Greetings
I have been with BPO industry for past 6 years a question arises in my mind everyday and night why there is no Union like SITU and all to support the staff when they actually in need...We are coming to work on our main festivals and National holidays however what we are getting is not fixed, every BPO organization has different rules and compensation policies (Incentives cash or kind) why we are not following the same rule here....BPO organization main metrics is staffed time, absenteeism, attrition etc if that is all set for all BPO so why not in compensating an employee??? ...as per the analysis BPO industry is the highest Tax payer to the government, if that so we need to be more focus & flexible in terms of our employee satisfaction
Looking for your kind response
Regards
AB

From India, Moradabad
Ankita1001

Hello,

After reading your post, I am little confused as to why you want to know this. But nonetheless have elaborated on the point.

Firstly, what is the need for union? Why do you need a union to represent yourself or your working staff?

A union is mainly found in manufacturing industries with factories and/or manufacturing or related units. Unions are largely associated with labours.

(I hope you would know that there is huge difference between employees and labour. Former is a white collared latter blue collared. Assuming you might know the difference.)

Labours are usually the unlearned chaps, one who do not know the basic rights.

They need a person to represent them, so that a person can understand and can negotiate the best deals for all of them.

While for the working class employees we have our own benefits against the kind of stress we handle. So I don't think we need any union.

Yet if there are issues, we can always go to the HR department and try to share the concern.

What we are getting is not fixed.... what does this mean?

About working on festivals and national holidays -

Well, that is one problem when you work in MNC and BPO. You should have known this before you joined in BPO.

A BPO or an MNC is a firm that works for foreign client (usually UK and US clients)

Though we Indians have lots of festivals and have offs for many things, they have limited festivals.

You are into service industry and are suppose to handle foreign clients, and if on your festive day they need you, you should be obliged to help them.

Apart, I am sure your firm would have a leave policy but the HR cannot give approval to all the people on their leaves. The decision is taken based on your work profile, your past leave and attendance history, the reason for the leaves etc.

If you see, people working in Indian firms in service industry (like the waiters and hospitality staff in hotels, doctors, workers on petrol pump, shopping mall staff - they too work all through week and they too have to work on festive days. We want to enjoy our weekdays and Sundays with family and go out shopping or for movie but seldom do we think that they too have a family. What would happen if they too close their service on festive period? Just think that once, and you'd get your answer perhaps.

Every firm, irrespective of what sector it belongs to, will have their own way of compensation. As far as rules are concerned, there would only be rules for statutory minimum things to be followed. We cannot fix a compensation policy for every organization to follow. Every individual is different so is every organization.

Some people like to have meal vouchers while some like the cash instead.

Some people like to have Lifestyle vouchers as rewards while some would prefer cash.

Another thing, many institutes are converting and introducing gift vouchers against cash for rewarding as that would be tax free and would bring certain benefits to employer as well.

I didn't understand how did you link the metrics of absenteeism and attrition to compensation.

I didn't understand what does paying more tax has to do with flexibility and employee satisfaction.

What do you mean by employee satisfaction?

An employee can never be 100% satisfied by any employer. Infact, suppose I am your employer. If I pay you handsomely the price you quote, still tomorrow you'd feel I am not being generous to you in terms of salary. Reach Rich Dad, Poor Dad if you think I am wrong.

Another thing, employee satisfaction involves lots of things and not just money. If I pay you to just sit in my office, one fine day you'd be dissatisfied by your role. So money is not all that matters.

Hope I have cleared most of your doubts. (or atleast I tried to)

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.