No Tags Found!

B. himanshu

To,
Mr. Rangrajan.
Thanks for showing interest. Do you want me to explain the process steps of execution of our plan. No issue I will be happy to share but please specify.
Looking forward for response from you.
With Regards
himanshu bhushan

From Bangladesh, Dhaka
V. Rangarajan

Dear Mr Himanshu,
Thanks for your response. It is out of academic interests I wish to know how you have handled it with respect to some measurable calculation of Hardship allowance and how much value is perceived in this allowance by the emloyees. Because it is in defense service only they try to compesate in money terms for the hardship of front line personnel while posting them in remote areas like mountains, icy and hot physical conditions , high altitude areas. May be your top management consists of some one from Defense !!!!.
Regards,
V. Rangarajan.

From India, Pune
tajsateesh

Hello HR PROF,
Prashant & Himanshu Bhushan have given you practical tips on how to handle the situation you mentioned.
While the way such situations are viewed by different parties vary widely--depending on THEIR PERCEPTION & NOT how the management wants them to view it--it also throws open challenges to the HR functionaries to handle them with tact. The ONLY way, as I see it, is to make the employees see the whole affair FROM ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE/ANGLE that is ALSO in their interest, in the LONG-TERM--and that can only be shown to them by HR. If one leaves such situations [by intent or otherwise] to the employees themselves or the senior management officials [only by virtue of designation/hierarchy], things are bound to go from bad to worse.
Himanshu--I join V. Rangarajan in requesting you to give the details of 'HOW' you handled to change the perceptions among the employees--the FOCUS need to be on the 'how' aspect, since the 'what' & 'why' aspects are clear.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
B. himanshu

First of all I would like say that in any manufacturing or business organisation production comes from workers.

Organisations need the workers to earn for them.

Workers do not need the organisation to earn for them.

Withdrawing the facility is not good practice.

In beginning facilities are offered in expectation of some additional gains.

Once things are smooth we want to withdraw the facilities.

True analysis of situation should be the first step to deal with it.

Now I explain my case.

In that organisation I was Chief Technical Officer. Almost all the departments were reporting to me.

What was my problem – It was same –

Canteen

Expenses for canteen were going out of control.

Workers were thankless.

This was becoming very hard to organise the canteen.

And last every week there was a hot talk between workers and canteen management.

Transport.

I was facing the difficulties to have the workers or staff to get even 15 minutes extra work against paid overtime. Workers had the claim to be dropped to their door steps.

Then for a moment thought that discontinuation of facilities is going to solve my problems or I am going to change the shape of problems.

For sure I was going to change the problems.

Solution I have already shared with you.

How we planned it.

First I addressed the transport issue.

I called few selected group of workers and I asked one question. Are you happy with transport arrangement. Believe it or not everyone had suggestion for value addition.

Anyway I offered conveyance allowance instead of using company transport and left the option open. I did not declare that I have an intention to stop it. I explained them for whole staff transportation cost is X amount for Y numbers of workers . So you share can be paid to you in cash and you can come on your arrangement. From the day next they started coming by cycle cause the found that money as a saving. Within a month this number reached to majority and I was in position to fix the problem.

Similarly I addressed the canteen issue.

Whenever we need to convince the mob we have to select the people. We cannot execute our plan overnight.

For the management ,money was not the big issue but related problems was the issue. Claim of workers was an issue.

How I explained it as a hardship. For shift workers this is always hardship.

Presently I am working in Africa for Singapore based company. And company pays hard allowance to executives even for tough working conditions. In many companies night allowance is paid. Cause workers lose their health. This is a law of nature to take rest in night. Night allowance is almost hardship allowance. Whenever, there is deviation in life with nature then this is hardship. And I got convinced my management.

So every problem comes with its own solution, need is there to identify it.

From Bangladesh, Dhaka
tajsateesh

Hello Himanshu,
Your last line is the clincher--reminds me of a Quote: "Every problem has a solution; we only need to think sufficiently enough to find it."
Your location says you are in Bangladesh, but you mentioned you are in Africa now. Which sector are you into?
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
B. himanshu

Hello
Mr. Srinivasan
I am sorry , my profile is not updated. Project execution and process consultancy. Currently ( last 18 months) I am PMC for Olam International ( oil project in South East Africa) . In duration of last 27 years I learned that how we look at the problem. In every chemical reaction mass balance is there. We can not ignore it. Left side of equal sign ( =) has to be balanced by right hand side. I am not HR expert but I feel that handling of Human Resource is very easy if addressed honestly and very tough if addressed partially. ( I feel lucky that I got the chance to work with Asian, French,Portuguese,Chinese,American, African) . And every moment I learned to extract the best out of the stuff. In several case my Clients could not achieve the goal due to non alignment of mindset with manpower.
Regards Himanshu

From Bangladesh, Dhaka
dlghr89

Hi,

Though it has not been agreed to provide these services in the appointment letter or any settlements, it MUST be noted that many high courts and supreme court rulings have been given in such cases against withdrawal of such facilities.

You may refer to any labour law consultant/ websites on the caption withdrawal of customary practices/ facilities. Even the totally good gesture acts like award of gifts during Diwali fetsival, when withdrawn have been questioned in the court.

While this is a legal side, there are also organizations where these have been in practice for more than half centuy and these are running smoothly with an exception here and there. The reason being, these have been managed fully through employee participation in managment of canteen and transport faclities or these have been run by employee cooperative societies.

Hence more than treating the welfare measures as a gesture, they need to be considered as effective investment in employees.

Discontinuation of these facilities will definitely viciate the atmospehere and creates ill feelings.

Kind regards

Dayanand L Guddin

From Singapore, Singapore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.