ngurjar

Dear Querist,

If you have a car that is so expensive that just cannot maintain it, you would probably dispose it! Its not about the car, but about the owner!

You have worked well for 13 years. There is a problem in the market. Either resign and look for another job or get terminated.

Getting terminated:

When you truly do get terminated, the tendency of the new employer is to put the 'onus' on you... They will feel that something is 'wrong' with you. Of course, you may clarify, etc. etc. and things can be worked out. But it has two additional aspects:: (a) You didn't proactively work around the 'business' conditions by looking for a job at the appropriate time and (b) You probably maynot be able to get a good reference from the company where you worked.

Resigning:

You have the situation under your control and you might get a good job.

Remember the HR is tasked with 'cutting down the manpower' and you are on their 'hit-list'. Moreso, because someone among your higher-ups thought that they might be better off without you (read: lower manpower costs, easily available skills, new strategies, etc.)... So, they are asking you, and in a good way.

You can continue with your work and wait for a termination letter. Or, I would suggest the following:

1. Talk to HR and ask them how they might help you with your job quest. There are quite a few companies globally who do manpower reduction very professionally. When they reduce, they ensure that the employee gets a reasonable option. You might want to ask them that. I know that most Indian companies think different, but its worth a try.

2. Talk to your seniors and take their references and try to look for options. Usually many are well connected and they could consider helping you.

3. Discuss with HR and negotiate a good favourable timeline. Get some time to help you in your search.

4. Try to enroll in some additional training programs before you are in the market. Usually this helps candidates revalidate their skills and their market values.

And finally, if you prefer getting terminated, well, its your choice. Lay-offs are not uncommon these days. Only they don't gel well with traditional thinking. All our answers are based on the 'traditional thinking'. Hence, take it in your stride, but have a solid gameplan at this stage. If you don't have one, its time to make one!

Reg,

From United States, Daphne
Roshi0011
Hi
I completely agree with Deena on the following statement.
Yes they can terminate - but always remember - you need to decide for yourself whether you wish to
>>maintain self respect in future opportunities. After all reference checks are the norm and a 'termination'
>>in record may affect prospects. Or you can take it head on, in which case you may wish to give a thought
>> to realities of life and work .
Anyone can refuse to resign and ask for Termination if he is intended to go to court but at the end of the day we are all worried about our future career and employability in the market. This make employer on a advantageous situation.
Regards
Roshi

From India, Chandigarh
kanika kapoor

Hi,
Lemme share an example:
A manager was asked to resign because of some hierarchy changes and her contribution/services were not needed.
Managers are supposed to give a 2 month notice period here.
So she left on the same day....company gave her 2 month salary and relieving letter
I guess it was easy to search the job in this case when u are at home (salary is anyways thr for 2 months). Check for the same scenario. Accept he current situation.
I'd say fighting is useless. Termination is even worse. it will leave a bad mark on ur career.
Search a new job with a positive attitude and m sure u'll get a better opportunity.
Let me know if the suggestion helps.
All the best!!
Regards,
Kanika Kapoor

From India, Delhi
Anonymous
putting this so as others can learn... company can't terminate you. they have threatened me .. told that they will put last date or i will not get the experience letter etc.
I said go ahead and i will will fight till end. Finally nothing happened.
Putting this here because all kind of suggesting keep coming.. you should know your rights that they can't terminate just because of non-billability. It is there job to give you the billability.

From India
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.