consultme

If a team member in HR itself can not trust the HR Boss or Management, what about rest of employees. The function which is supposed to be the guardian of ethics and advisor to management on best practices trying some foul play to oust own team member (as per the stated issue of the BPHR) !!! This is strange and ridiculous
I am seeing a number of issues posted by fellow women professionals (I think, HR Professional is the first time) related to Maternity, now a days - coercing to resign, denial of maternity benefit, no leave extension post maternity etc. Some companies and managers are thinking that they are doing a favor 'Maternity Benefit' to women in India - No Boss, it is a right. A women deserves more by considering the tremendous effort, pain and sacrifice associated with maternity.
1. My recommendation is to share the concern to your manager in writing and request to consider.
2. If your manager is not responding in 2 working days, forward to the HR Head
3. If HR Head is also following the same game of not responding or telling you the same thing over the phone or meeting, you have another option
4. Stay on your current profile, prepare your resume and start searching a BPHR role in another good company

From India, Bangalore
Bharat Gera

Dear Friend,
While I appreciate your desire and sentiments about the role of HRBP being your dream role. While I agree with some the pointers of Mr Divekar, I would suggest you to check as to whether that role still exists/abolished or some body else has been put on that role in your absence.
Please also evaluate as to how is the performance of the current HRBP. If you are willing to do compromise on the role for some time, you can negotiate with your manager that the role should be offered to you after some intervening period.
If you have not done HR Ops role earlier may be it is a better role or you may start liking the role. No harm in trying new avenues.
Warm Regards
Bharat Gera
HR Consultant

From India, Thane
Anonymous
Consultme - Thanks for your valuable advice. I appreciate it.
I have dropped a mail to my HR Head and waiting for him to revert back on the same.
Bharat Gera - Thank you for the Valuable advice and understanding my scenario.

From Sweden
sahil0007

Dear Mr. Divakar,
I generally do not explain myself or my views to individuals who always feel or practice views being on a descent about a particular entity or a function.
But here its not just one individual who is involved but many HR professionals who are referring this post and reading the comments of all the HR Experts who have contributed to this thread and thats why this explanation.
As you rightly said that you have met someone after a long time from the HR fraternity showcasing (exuding - in your terms ) extreme confidence.
Well.....if you mean to say that other fraternity members here are not confident then i think you should reconsider your thought. I am confident because i know i am right and here below comes your answer to how Human Resources adds value to the Balance Sheet of the organization.
1) SHRM is concerned with making decisions with regard to defining the organizations vision and mission, establishing long- and short-term objectives to achieve the organizations vision and selecting the strategy to be used in achieving the organizations objectives.
2) Strategic management is the process of formulating, implementing and evaluating business strategies to achieve organizational objectives. Globally appreciated HR experts define strategic manage­ment as a manner by which organisations plan to deal with the various aspects of management like problem perception, divergent thinking, substantial resources, decisions making, innovations, taking risks and facing uncertainty.
3) In other words, the formulation of organisational strategy is integrative with the formulation of functional strategies. Here, human resource strategy assumes more impor­tance because it provides human resources for other functional areas also.
4) The best example of Strategic Human Resources Management benifiting the Balance Sheets of an organization is that of Maruti Udyog.
Maruti Udyog and Hindustan Motors are two different entities. We know that Maruti Udyog and Hindustan Motors are manufacturing cars, essentially using identical technology. The secret behind the meteoric rise of Maruti is its human resource/workforce. Maruti udyog's workforce highly commends its Human Resources functions as employees know that their self development is guaranteed every day when they enter on their shifts. Their Training Calenders are designed in such a way that their learning directly affects their process flows along with individual performances which is very much evident in the product sales of Maruti Udyog and their extremely well developed employees on their assembly line.
5) SHRM is today heavily involved in the execution of strategy in the form of downsizing and restructuring strategies, through out placing employees instituting performance linked pay plans, reducing health-care costs and retraining employees. Even, in an increasingly competitive global market place, instituting HR practices that build employee commitment can help improve an organisation’s responsiveness and is directly responsible for affecting their balance sheets in a positive way.
I can infact go on for ages explaining you that how SHRM affects the overall performance(balance sheets) of the company.
If you get time please also go through Willy Korf Innovation Award Scheme which will give you an idea and insight in a single aspect of SHRM of innovation and creative ideas from employees for a better workplace.
Infact i can give you numerous examples of Human Resources Leaders implementing a Four point program to enhance shareholders(employees) value through capa­city enhancement, contribution enhancement, reduction in financial cost, enhancing the value of intangibles as strategic steps toward achieving business perfor­mance.
Do let me know if you need any more thoughts,insights on the subject of Strategic HRM. Would love to enlighten you with many such facts and figures though i know you would definitely agree less to what i have said. :-) :-) :-)

From India, Pune
CHR

I empathise with your situation. And apologise on behalf of the members if you felt any of the advice was harsh - take it as differing opinions which may help you come to a conclusion in your mind.
I find this issue to be quite rampant in the industry - women are often treated unfairly in such matters. If I was moved to a position which was further away from strategy - post "paternity" - I would find it to be a hit on my "dignity". I would've thought that I have earned my way up and I deserve to be higher up than where I am being pushed. That said - most of the advice shared by other members also hold true - exposure etc.
------------------
As for Dinesh's question:
Nevertheless, no HR has come up with any credible explanation as to why HR feels need to be business partner? Inability to provide credible explanation apart, I am yet to see any HRBP coming up with evidence to show that how their activities contributed to the revenue generation or reduced operational cost.
My opinion differs here - what role do the coach/physician/trainers play in the outcome of the game (the balance sheet). And till the time AI takes over and HUMAN resources are required at minimal - HR management would play a key role. The role that often a founder of a company plays himself when he/she starts and builds a team.
Two names come to mind immediately for "people who seem to have made noticeable difference" to their team and have been applauded by their respective companies.
Mekin Maheshwari : Chief people officer, Flipkart - "Partner in business success by acquiring & growing talent & establish a talent pipeline that can meet future needs of Flipkart's explosively growing businesses. Make HR Data & Technology driven." (his own words)
Devdutt Patnaik: Chief belief officer, Future Group - "A think tank job meant to help investors and employees understand the difference between the Indian and Western mindset, and there is no such thing as a global mindset." (his own words)
I am sure there are many other example of people who have made a difference to the balance sheet by finding and nurturing the team.
I doubt these people feel the need to be called "business partners" - I think they already know that they are.
------------------
Back to your query Sangeeta - I think you need to be careful and not be too aggressive about this situation. It would be wise to keep pushing for the role you want, in a friendly and useful way. If you want to continue in this job - you want your team to be able to tolerate you. So keep calm and keep pushing politely and show them what difference you made before and what you can do now.
Regards,
Sid [CHR]

From India, Gurgaon
nathrao

It is educative reading this discussion
Let me add my points
"The best example of Strategic Human Resources Management benefiting the Balance Sheets of an organization is that of Maruti Udyog."
65% of workforce is Contract labour.
2012 death and violence in Maruti factory has not been forgotten.
Was there a failure which HR could have prevented/
And contract labour get less paid as compared to permanent staff.
How many HR bosses become CEOs in India??
HR can have a role which is aligned with company goals,vision etc and is basically a subset of the vision which gets laid down by Board of directors.
Here in the queriest was upset about being changed to HR Operations which essentially is a company level decision owing to absence for long period due to personal requirement.
Question that whether HR Business Partner plays a bigger role than HR Operations is the main debate.
i can only say without strong well established HR Operations HR BP will not be successful

From India, Pune
PRABHAT RANJAN MOHANTY

Dear Friend
The change in any manner is just not acceptable to anyone on first instance. That no change would not be acceptble while one on legally sanctioned leave. And one should fight for the justice and knock the door of the authority for a solution.
I have recently came accorss a similiar case of change role, this happend due to 7 month long absent from duty due to reasons best known to the management. The management put a person in that cahir to manage the show. The new chap not only managed the show perfectly but to the xpectation of management. The person on long leave came to join the duty and the person concerned did not even gave any earlier intimation. However, the concerned submitted his papers & documents as stipulated. The person was asked to handle some other task in same department with same importance. He had to compromise after understood the current situation and development took place in long absence. More of a fun the same employee had gone for two week time. Things are not always favourbale as happend to this fellow employee.
In many ocassions things are being happened without of a bad intention but not always welcome gracefully. I went through all the suggestions, appreciations and reactions over the matter. The change role is inevitable when there is a long absent is happened. In recent past there are several postings came alleging of 'resignation and rejoining' after MB leave. I hope Mr. Divekar has told in this prospective. Hope your boss would come up sportingly to offer the position you are the best.

From India, Mumbai
Nagarkar Vinayak L

Dear professional colleagues,
I have been following this post and I am afraid more heat than lig ht is beind generated. I think many have sidelined the basic issue she has raised.
If I understood correctly, the issue is not whether it is management's prerogative to transfer employee from one role to another or whether HRBP role is more important than HR-operations. Or which HR role contributes to the bottom-lines.
Here the crux of the issue is her Manager, before rejoining her duty after Maternity leave had promised that she would be continued with her current role of HRBP and after she joined he went back on his words and changed her role within four days to HR-operations . He did not offer any convincing reply for his action even after she asked for it. His action therefore, smacked of an ulterior motive and she rightly must have felt cheated. The question ,therefore she is raising is whether her Manager acted unprofessionally by changing her role without giving convincing reasons and what she should do in such situation.She certainly owes reasons for the change of decision and in all fairness the manager should have given the reasons to her particularly when she had asked for it.
To suggest that she should look for another job or accept the change as fait accompli is mundane advice and lacks professional maturity in the given situation.
What she should do is to escalate this matter to the top decision maker and see the end of it.She has already taken steps now in this lines and I am happy about it.
In my view all the HR roles have potential opporunities to contribute to the bottom-lines for one who is seeking for them whether it is HRBP or HR- operations role. Therefore, at the end she should not have hesitation in accepting the role of HR-OPERATIONS for her well rounded growth although she feels she is better cut out for HRBP role.
Regards
Vinayak Nagarkar
HR-Consultant

From India, Mumbai
nathrao

"Here the crux of the issue is her Manager, before rejoining her duty after Maternity leave had promised that she would be continued with her current role of HRBP and after she joined he went back on his words and changed her role within four days to HR-operations . He did not offer any convincing reply for his action even after she asked for it. ""
Probably the manager had instructions from Higher management.
Is the manager is the ultimate authority to deploy staff in that organisation.
The employee has a right to ask why, but the Manager may have given a reply to best of his ability and still not being able to convince an employee.Employee has all the rights to approach higher management which as HR employee she must be fully aware.
Unsaid feeling is that HR BP is superior to Operations and reluctance to shift out could be a cause of not getting convinced.
This is just a discussion to educate ourselves.
Every body advices as per own understanding of problem.
In her place i would accept the change but definitely seek a chance to speak to higher authorities, beyond the particular manager.

From India, Pune
tanvi121

Dear Anonymous,
The organization has full right to change roles of individuals as per the business need. Don't think there is anything wrong in it.Though,your manager must have discussed this with you beforehand.You can only raise your discomfort with higher authority but cannot challenge the decision.
Regards,
Tanvi

From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.