Anonymous
Hi All, Im in a strange situation n i really need all you guys experienced in HR to help me out of this please Im working in a BPO in mumbai since the last 4 years , and was promoted to the Business Development team some 8 months back. However the head of the department asked me and one of my colleague to report directly to him and work for a project.He at that point of time said that it is an extended activity of business development, and we will still belong to the same department.This project was implemented for one of our major clients as it was the clients requirement. This project involved carrying out various Satisfaction Surveys,Grievance handling,Employee Relationetc...(more like an extended HR role).During this entire exercise my designation remained the same(Business Development Executive) and we were clearly told that once the project is over , we will be doing the business development activities. Now the Project has come to a sudden and abrupt end as the head of the department has left the organisation, and no one is willing to take the responsibility of the project , so as per the earlier cnversation we were back in the business development team however the senior manager is denying to takeus back in the department. Though the entire conversation that took place in her presence and she at that time did not have the guts to deny the head of the department, and told us that this is the "need of the hour" and asked us to go to that project.Now she says that she does not want to take us back as we went to a differt project,(she refuses to understand that this project was for the same department). I am a confirmed employee of the company and scored above 95% in the last appraisal. Now the HR head has spoken to us a day back and he is asking us to go back and take calls(demotion) as they cannot or rather do not want to place us in the same or any other dept. I would request you to help me in knowing if the company/HR can do this to a confirmed employee.I was confirmed within 3 months of my promotion and got a good above 95% appraisal so why am i being trated like this. Ihave decided to fight against this injustice so i would request u guys to help me in this. I have decided that i will not quit or put down my papers nor will i accept a demotion as my perfermonce has been excellent. I would want to know if the company can terminate me.Can i ask them to give me in writing all this and can i take any action against the company about this.Please help me out Regards Seema shaikhseema1@gmail.com
From India, Mumbai
Madhu.T.K

Your deputation to projects could only be regarded as what the Sr. Manager said "the need of the hour". The management has every right to assign and reassign duties according to the needs and scopes of activities. If you go through the sentences of contract of employment you will find it. Similarly, designation is not the ultimate mark of job profile. These are very common issues being faced by employees of new generation companies and when it becomes a problem of highly paid officials, you find no scope in Labour Laws to deal with. Up gradation and degradation are very common features there. If you can not accommodate yourself, you can leave and the employer is seldom bothered about your 95% appraisal. And for a head of the institution this 95% is nothing when it was rated by his forerunner who has left the company!!! Nobody can claim that I am perfect and I can not be demoted. An HR can only follow the directions passed by the higher management. However, the HR can handle the matter as violation of human rights as there exists an issue of preventing an employee from engaging the original assignment for which one is employed. Therefore, present the matter in writing highlighting that you were deputed to the project and since the project has been abandoned, you want to come back to your parent department and permission could be given to it. Let the concerned person give reply in writing. n the meanwhile view the other possibilities, ie, chances of not giving any reply to your representation, directing you to join some other department etc. n case of first thing, you can climb the higher ladder of management but if you are directed to work in some other department with a different profile, then you will have to think about the future. As I have already pointed out, fighting within the frame work is difficult especially when you do not find any recourse in Labour Law except when you are terminated. Regards, Madhu.T.K
From India, Kannur
bhardwaj_ch1

Dear Seema! Salute to your courage!.. The reason of not taking you back into previous may becouase you HOD could have grievance against management that could be reason to left org.and as you were working for project he gave you (apart from ur regular job) Yes, after reading your grievance, I can say that the entire org.'sHR practise is not being followed properly and clear bias and you became the victim of your HOD coz he supposed to be assigned project in written.Now he has already left. 1st... If org. wants to terminate, has to give in writen with proper..genuin reason(s)eg.;not performing well as per annual performance. 2nd... Demotion also requires written explaination however,if you have proof copy of performance appraisal eg.95%,keep it safe,will put ur org. in answering you if act against you. 3rd..Pls observe if any other better opportunity becouse this is limited comp. not a govt. they can play any other game to put you in demotion or make you leave org. Pls next time conform your additional tasks or other permission in written that will keep you in Safe.:):-P Chandresh
From India, Ahmadabad
ragheshm
Madhu is spot on, in terms of the scope for fighting this out, 'you versus the organisation' may not be the solution. Surprisingly, inspite of working for 4 years, there is a senior collegue who does not consider you fit for the BD team. You have performed well (as mentioned by you) previously, still credits have not been considered during reallocation. You have partnered the organisation growth, suddenly, you are not accepted, just because a senior collegue personally does not approve of you. Think we are missing something here. However, while making your representations, please make sure to ask, what skills would be necessary to return to BD team and let them tell you how they rate your available skills, and what are the gaps. Surely, noone can deny the opportunity to a person, especially when there is are policies related to 'inter-department transfers', promotions and lateral movements, etc. and when the senior management is committed to the well-being of employees. All the best! Definitely it is a matter of your career, so a balanced approach will help you more.

carora

I really hate this kind of attitude of managers. Its called PHD (Pull him/her Down) for their ego they can spoil any body`s career. Only viable option I can see change ur job, there is no point of grievances. I dont believe anbody will understand ur emotion or situation. Jesus will always being crucified.
From United Kingdom, Hounslow
sreedq

dear seema, All these top management people are mostly like that of nature. For their sustain, self elevation, they will pressurize the subordinates. Firstly identify how ur superior want u to be....and try to act accordingly and create a strong belief to him/her that u has really changed. I thing this will definitely help u to take back u r position. Once u attains u r position try to build the rappo with other top management members and now its u r turn to act against her. Its just like our Indian politics... Remember going against the management straightly will effect only U.
From India, Madras
vikramlamhe

Dear Seema, We admire your courage, i agree with the views of Mr. Madhu TK. only amicable way is find other job.
From India, Delhi
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.