Mammu007

Dear All participants of this thread,

I really LOL after reading most of the responses here. I am new to citeHR. I have been NRI for last 7+ years. I am from East Africa now.

Most of the threads in this site are related to Indian HR & Admin system, isnt it?

Okay, Why I wanted to LOL? In my 7+ years what all we considered in a candidate is decided within the first 5-7 minutes in the interview with him/her.

Normally, when an Indian is called for interview, he/she is presented with a bunch of certificates; who cares?

Also:

We dont want to know how much he/she got from another company. Our company has to offer a package according to his/her efficiency. We never NEVER put our nose inside previous companies to get salary details!

We dont ask for any kind of certificate or document from candidate except a copy of resume. One or two questions related to his 'job responsibilities' shows how efficient he/she is! (We know almost all universities' fake certificates are available in middle east job market).

Any reputed company has specific salary package for a specific position. Even if you bargain or qualified well, cannot be offered more than that.

After all, a six-month probation period is enough to finalize his/her efficiency!

All we know is: Papers never make a good candidate!

There are a lot of other things....M Sadique

From Djibouti
arup.chatterjee

Dear Ash,
I hope u r fine. What u say all this r perfectly ok. I also agree with your view. But my dear friend can you tell me all this good words( Attitude,Integrity,commitment etc.) are only applicable only with the employees and not to the employers.
Lot of other friends are already accepting in this post that employer are not doing the right thing with his employee.
If a criminal born in our society we all 'sofo' guy/gal are pointed that bugger is a criminal. But we never try to find who make him/her a criminal. If everything going fine this is my personal view, no one chitting.
Arup

From India, Patna
Vasant Nair

Dear Friend,

It is quite common that Companies do not give to an employee leaving the organization a relieving letter.

It is also very common that even apointment letters are not given to employees after they join a Co. in their employment.

Also, it is very often that you find an Accepetance letter NOT being issued to an employee upon his submitting his resignation.

It is also not uncommon that the Co. opts to waive off the notice period given by the employee and clearly mentioned in his/her resignation letter and also NOT paying salary in lieu of such notice.

In the present case the best option would have been:

1. Tell your new employer that you have resigned from the employment of your previous employer. Submit a copy of your resignation letter.

In case the new employer insists, you could even submit a notorised Affidavit to support the fact of your resignation.

A better option would be (in case your resignation has not been accepetd/received) to send a copy of the resignation letter by Registered A Post. Retain the Receipt with you for future use.

2. Tell your new employer that you have not received your relieving letter in spite of your best efforts.

It is best to be truthful and upfront about such sensitive matters. Falsifying employment records reflects with alarm on your integrity/honesty. It will only bring you grief.

I am sure a resonable HR person, when presented with true facts, will take a favourable stance and most likely will not deny you a fair opportunity.

Recently I too was cnfronted with a similar case. However the new employee did not falsify his employment record and came clean. He was honest about the fact that:

1. He had resigned. He gave me a copy of his resignation Letter and copies of mail of his follow up to have the same accepted.

2. The previous employer was not inclined to releive him formally.

3. I helped him and interacted with his previous employer, and impressed upon him that he cannot force anyone to continue in his employment. That an employee has a constitutional right to resign from his employment in any Co. as per terms of his appointment/contract.

Eventually his dues were settled and he got his relieving letter.

All is well that ends well.

Cheers!!!

Vasant Nair

Best Wishes,

Vasant Nair

From India, Mumbai
kathleen.modeste
The issue here is one of dishonesty leading to disrespect. Did the employee advise that he/she needed 2 months to bring closure to the current job? Being straightforward brings more benefits in the long run. The fact that one even thinks of forging documents from one's previous employer points to desperation and a lack of emotional intelligence. It also shows that one is ignorant of the procedures used for the recruitment process(background checks etc.) and so took a chance. This action gives insight into the character of the person.
Whatever the decision of the company, full disclosure of the matter must take place and
also gives the offender an opportunity to review his/her personal values.
In addition, the fact that this person was employed with a reputable firm suggest that he/she might have been able to stand on their own worth and speak the truth to you, but chose to resort to forgery.
Kathleen M

From Trinidad and Tobago, Port-of-spain
worksmgr
some of the latest mails are too good. I want HR people to understand all these ideas. They are simple. In USA , I was told , people do not ask age or even gender for appointments.
Here we need to produce the salary proofs, some companies pay in black.. where to go for proof...
I am happy , some mails are eye openers.. Great.
Regards,
Suresh

From India, Bangalore
vinunair
I agree with Ramesh, if only the relieving letter is fake it does not seem sense to throw out a perfectly good guy and not only put the employee in problems but also yourself. You will have to redo the entire recruitment cycle for this position. Check his suitability and stability and if he is a good "catch" I think you must retain him. BUT do ensure that you issue a memo and put him under notice, the employee should be made to understand that the company has strict ethical code but is only making an EXCEPTION for this one time ONLY.
From India
Vasant Nair

Dear Archana,

Yes is obvious that you are indeed confused!!!

The facts stated by you are:

1. One of your employees resigned, gave the prescribed one month's Notice Period, took her current month's salary and has since then, not coming for work since she has some personal problems.

2. Your Boss has sent a Notice to her.

3. Your Boss wants you to contact her and ask her come and serve out her Notice Period, else he will send her a Notice.

So you are confused!!!!

Dear child, your Boss has already sent her a Notice. Nowwhich Notice are your talking about, which your Boss is threatening to issue/send?

Well under these corcumstances, you will have send her a Notice, impressing upon her to comply with her moral obligation of serving out the prescribed One Month's Notice before being relieved from the organization.

If she does not respond to such Notices, well, the only oter option you have is to initiate legal action aganist her. The question you will have to ask yourself is..."Is the effort worth it?" Go ahead with Legal Action, if your answer is a YES. I would not reccommend such action though.

The practical solution would be to hold her Full & Final Settlement. Deduct one month's salary in lieu of the Notice Period when your decide to prepare her Full & Final Settlement. If she owes any money to the Co. sedn her a letter asking her to deposit the amount.

Cheers!!!

Vasant Nair

From India, Mumbai
Ash Mathew

You were told? Kindly confirm if you are sure.
In the US they dont ask age - but ask the birth date and year.
They dont ask gender becuase they feel everyone irrespective of the gender has the right to work.
In the US - they will HAVE to produce the proofs, and all Information including "whether they were arrested in the last few years on the basis of crime, sex, drunk and drive or even exceeding the speed limit
They are aslo asked if they were in jail for any specific period
they are also asked if at any point of time they were terminated on the basis of disciplinary grounds.
(I have worked for a few fortune 100 recruitment needs and have been trained by their Hiring Manager too :-) so...dont ever think that recruiting is a simple business in the US - they spend a lot on that honey!)
"DONT TALK ALL WHAT YOU HEAR"

From India, Madras
Trinity-Morpheus

Had been wanting to revert for a long time, but was hooked up.
My response is as under:

Regards
Trinity- Morpheus

From United Kingdom, London
Sam1980
Dear Rajkumar,
Really liked your post, no corporate world is as clean as they seems. Especially the Indian companies. They wanted to hire candidates with short period , but they expect proper procedure. This is very contradictory.
Employer also exploiting employees. Not even following even simple labour law. Some employess are victim of thier bosses , some are victim of economical condition , some are victim of their health issues and some are of circumstances.
My view is if everythng depends on your performance and eligibility then why HR. People are not judging on it. Either you should follow pre-verification or if you joined a candidiate and BGF is not green , try to know the real reason why he done this , if candidate is genuine and something done without motive of hurmless act we should at least give a chance based on his performance and eligibility and rebuilt his career. Just think every employee is the bread earner for someone. If you terminate him there is chance of doing more misconduct in future.
If a criminial become our minister and make law and rule the state/country.
At least giving a chance is better option for anyone who seems genuine and victim of circumstance for rebulit his future and mistakes.

From India, Guwahati
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.