No Tags Found!

ngarg1608
First thing, I would say performance is always comparative. It all depends if the product is salable in the market or not, whether proper marketing efforts have been put by the company to promote the product. Sales guys are never magician and that too when economy is in such a bad shape. It is very easy to blaim sales guys.

It is for the superiors to see whether the person is putting appropriate efforts to bring in the business. Other then business there are certain other monitoring criteria to be used for gauging whether he is putting appropriate efforts or not. If there is anything which could be improved upon, company should work on it and try to help him. I am sure he must have passed through all the parameters required for the job at the time of Interview.

But yes if he guy is not hardworking, does not have positive attitude and is into negative talks about the company, I think it is better not to waste time on him and terminate his services with proper process, but deducting salary etc. does not help and is not a right way to deal with people.

From India, Delhi
Roshni R

Hello
Retaining the salary is not the solution. If there is No Productivity from employee side, its the responsibility of the management to check the reason for the same. Might the employee is facing some problem in sales or Training can help him out or counseling.
Termination of services should be done only when the employee himself is not interested in job.

From India, Mumbai
queen18
Dear Jyoti ,
You can create like a performance - incentive package system where your sales manager is given a small (in percentage terms ) hike with the increase in his/her performance ( again percentage wise ).
The performance and incentive can have a direct relationship till the project meets success.This will motivate him and keep him secured ,also he will reach the target and also meet his former salary expectations.
Regards

From India, Delhi
akbar_cms
Dear Jyoti Set target & notice him in writing that if performance is not up to the mark then you will be terminated. Retaining salary is not advisable.
From India, Pune
Rajeev Velur

Dear Group,

I beg to differ with most of the people here. We are too much involved as HR professionals.

I remember to have read some where on the success of REVA , the electric car. When it was launched, it was a failure. When analysed, they couldn't find the gap. They had hired the best sales people from the best of the companies in the automobile industry and still a failure !!!. A famous consultant who helped them recover and relaunch with success commented that the hiring the sales guys from the automobile industry was the biggest problem. They were selling this as a CAR !!. REVA was not a car (at that point ... and to some extent even now), it is a concept. So fresh sales guys were hired from a different background of concept selling and now it is a success. Does this look similar condition here ??

Why is it that no one is looking from the employees end ? I am sure no one wants o be a under performer at any point of time. Why not analyse what are his issues ? why has been the performance down ? does he need help ? what kind of help ? bla .. bla ...

If he was bad, he would not have been hired. So, if the management had decided tto hire him, i am sure they would have seen some spark earlier. I have a strong feeling that the issue is " That sales guy is not able to understand / adjust to the new set up". He has to be re-oriented to the organisations goals and the products. He should be given the benefit of doubt. Put him on a training mode on the products / systems followed, may be 3 days to one week in every department (week in the production site, 1/2 days with the accounts team etc ... ). It's worth a try. During all these exercise, a senior person from the management side has to be monitoring him / discussing with him on the progress of the program. After going through this exercise, hand over his targets for the next 60/90 days and put him on the job + monitor continuously for the performance period. Then take a call on whether to continue or through him out.

Any positive thoughts on this are welcome.

Regards,

Rajeev

From India, Bangalore
Vasant Nair

Dear Neha,
The step taken by your management in retaining half his(employee's) salary is just not right, morally, ethically or even legally.
The right course of action would be to put down his level of performance with facts and figures writing and issue letter calling upon him to improve his performance as per Co. standards.
There has to be a time bound action plan.
If at the end of the timeline decided with the employee, talk to him and tell him that you'd be happy to accept his resignation.
Termination will be an option available to you always.
Best Wishes,
Vasant Nair

From India, Mumbai
luckey84
If he is permanent, you can give him termination by paying 2 months salary on some grounds like absenteeism or defying orders of seniors or any other issue that can make impact on company goodwill.
If he is on probation, just wait for the time when he is completing his probation, give revised & strict appointment letter, which includes targets & sales achievement. If he doesn’t improve, then show him the way on the basis of T&C of appointment letter.

From India, Delhi
vijay.2008
Dear Seniors,
I am associate with a pharmaceuticals company and my sales manager given me assigment to design perfomance appraisal of sales field. Can you help me in this regard please.
Warm Regards,
Vijay Bhandari

From India, Mumbai
abhi16march

hmm why dont u access his knowledge on following criteria?

1.Managerial skill

2.sales planning

3.cusomer relation management

4.manpower management

5.Leadreship skill

6.Decision making quality

7.Team management

8.Product Knowldge

9.Vendor management

10.Is he knowing end customers?

11.has he any planning for monthly/ qtrly/half yrly and annual sales?

12.Is he accessing the performance of his team??

13.Is he recomending the good empls for reward or incentives?

14.Is he taking any action when he is not getting the sales from particular segments or area/ territory ?

15.is he taking any action against poor performer ?

16.has he any improvement plan?

16.has he set the goals for all sales team?

17.is he reviewing their goals?

18.Is he getting transparent data while reviewing?

19.Is he creative and implementing more technology for sales team?

20.Is he anaylsing competiors activity ?

21.Check his communication skills.

etc...................

These all are the basic requirement for being a sales manager......

for more details contact with me on

From India, Pune
reshmipillai

Dear Jyoti,

If the incentive is not linked to performance as per his appointment letter clauses then legally the organisation can not HOLD his salary.

What you can do is get him to a one-on-one talk with his superiors and let them discuss it out about what are the catalysts to his not been able to perform well & also let his superiors inform him that part of his pay is being linked with performance hence forth. He can be issued a letter from HR informing him, in writing, about the change of his employment conditions.

In such a scenario the onus to perform is def. on him too and if he does not complete his targets then obviously the company needs to pay him less as per the new included clause.

HAS HIS PROBATION BEEN CONFIRMED????if he is not performing from day 1 then ideally his probation could have been extended and if again it is not satisfactory then employment terminated on grounds of non performance.

hope 1 of these options work the trick for you. get back in touch in case of any queries.

Reshmi Pillai

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.