No Tags Found!

sweetu11
Hello,

I have got myself a job with good pay through recommendation in one big corporate house like bank of america merrill lynch. I cant name it but this company is even more reputed and giant size than this one i used as example. Its an investment management company. I have been hired as officer one level down to management trainee. I have a humble academic background and no experience till date. I am 27 year old female, MBA finance 2010 passout from Ahmedabad, Gujarat based management institution which is no competition or good in rank as even average b-schools.

My question is that what care should i take after joining this organisation so that i could sustain in this job and also reach to management trainees level soon. I am really very hard working girl but as i have no experience and such background i really do not know which areas i should work hard on. I would like to know what are the expectations of HR from such employees who have been hired on recommendation and not on merit. Would they remain biased towards me in terms of offering opportunities and growth. I want to ensure maximum learning out of this job and really want to fly high as i am a late bloomer in life. I got one opportunity to study MBA and i grasped it. Now this is the second big opportunity in my life.

I need suggestions that can be helpful to me after joining where i can prove my worth to my subbordinates and seniors. What skills should i develop before joining this company. I still have 15 days to go. HR people out there i would really appreciate if u can offer some tips on this.

From India, Ahmadabad
ACT

Hi

First of all congratulations on your lucky break.

From your detailed and comprehensively expressed post I am sure that you have both the ability and the drive to grasp this second big opportunity in your life to achieve success. So the first thing is to start believing that you deserved the break and that other things being equal you just got a leg up to join the multinational setup.

The first thing to do is closely watch the culture and style of the organization and try to fit into that. This could include making changes in your dressing style, communication style, behavior and interactions, work ethics etc.

If possible try to find a mentor to guide you. This can be tricky since it should not be viewed as you being close to seniors. At the same time try to understand your job description and key result areas clearly and use that as the blueprint for you to focus on. The trick though is to go beyond that and contribute much more than what is expected. However this must be done without stepping on others toes, without being perceived as too pushy and at the same time ensuring that you are able to carry your colleagues along with you.

It is equally important to keep updating your knowledge and to expand your work horizons.This will provide the platform to grow higher wherein your job profile will expand and your learning will come in handy.

Meanwhile since you have 15 days to go and you have shown the inclination to be prepared, do a candid personal SWOT analysis. Also revisit and brush up the theories that you will have to be thorough in and those related to your job profile. Anticipate the requirements of your new job and work on those weaknesses that could hamper your effectiveness on the job.

Best Wishes

From India, Mumbai
sweetu11
HI,
Thank you very much for your valuable insights. I beleive its going to be of great help to me in this perplexed situation.
I will take care of al the above mentioned things in mind and be well prepared before starting it.
I am going to relocate to mumbai alone without family for this job and right now am based in ahmedabad. So am gathering all the courage this days. Thanks again.

From India, Ahmadabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.