Administration Head
Consultant & G.m.
Engineering Services - Qa&i
+4 Others

Thread Started by

Hai all,
We do issue exp letter for both formal & informal separations. I just want to have your valuable suggestions on can we issue exp letter mentioning that the "employee resigned on short notice", inorder to control the informal resignations to some extend.
Pls suggest your ideas.
26th December 2012 From India, Thiruvananthapuram
Dear Devi,
Do you really see this (mentioning "employee resigned on short notice") as a solution to reduce informal resignation!!! Surprising but sharing your views at length on the same can be of great help.
On the contrary what I feel is that this will help the new employer to understand that the employee hasn't served notice. But are you aware; most of the times new employer insist the employees to join on immediate basis & are ready to buy back the notice pay. Hence such one liner in the experience certificate is going to satisfy your own self but might not affect much to the employees.
Their are much better ways to it but I would still insist you to share your opinion first.
26th December 2012 From India, Ahmedabad
No matter employee resign by serving a short notice period or complete notice period according to the terms of Employment/ Appointment Letter, you just need to mentioned the period of working i.e. Joining Date and Resignation Date which will be self-explanatory in this regard.
Resignation and Experience latter are two-difference matter here and as you have accepted his resignation and have no issue with it, you must not be hesitate to issuing Experience Letter but need not to mentioned “Resignation on Short Notice” or etc.
26th December 2012 From India, Gurgaon
You may do so, but it appears vindictive. However the same employee can escape by saying, at the next interview or at the time of joining,
"it just happened to be like that just because I was eager to join this co. as much early as possible hence this short notice"
Who knows it might help him for encashing this event -
"I just paid Rs.xxxx to get an early relief and inlieu of longer notice period and you may be pleased to reimburse this money as your gesture as I am in so early, you only gained by this so called short notice...they didn't want me to relieve me and hence added this adjectives etc. etc."
And for the 3rd co.when you switch over again, this relieving letter is no more mattered.
It doesn't matter you guys.
26th December 2012 From India, Bangalore
Voluntary separation can be categorised as under:

1. Employee disappears and does not return even to ask for certificates and settlement

2. Employee disappears (absconds) and returns after a few months requesting for settlement and certificate

3. Employee gives just one or two days notice as against a month

4. Employee gives 2 to three weeks notice

5. Employee giving full notice period

6. Employee giving shorter notice but pays the money due to shorter notice

1. In cases mentioned in 1 and 2, there is no problem in issuing a certificate saying the person has absconded

2. In case of 5, there is no problem in issuing certificate

3, In case of 3 and 4, if the employee has paid the shortfall in notice period, the management can not issue a certificate saying he left in shorter notice,

as he has fulfilled contractual obligation.

4. In case if you have waived the notice period, again, it is your decision to relieve him early and it is not correct to issue such a certificate

5, In case if you have recovered the notice pay from final dues, the same shall be mentioned in full and final settlement and there is no need to repeat it in

a certificate

Hence, if you analyse the issue logically, you will arrive at a decision that making a mention about shortfall in notice period in certificate is not required and does not serve any purpose.

I used to mention in acceptance of resignation letter the following

1. If the shortfall is waived, the same shall be mentioned in the acceptance letter.

2. If there is a need for recovery, I used to mention in acceptance letter saying that shortfall ( mention number of days) in notice period shall be recovered from final settlement

T Sivasankaran
26th December 2012 From India, Chennai
Dear Devi
Pl. understand there is nothing like "Informal Resignation". In absence of resignation it is to be termed as "absconded" or "abandonment" of services.
Whatever the case may be, HR need to complie 100% with SEPRATION process. Take note of all dues of employee as well of employer (including payment for short notice period if it is part of "service condition") and also Reliveing Letter and Experience Letter, both will help yopu to immune again any unforseen legal complications.
I beleive no cerceive (negative reinforcement) can help to retain employee, you need to better introspect and analyse organizational aspects like culture, practices and HR systems ratther than thinking for inefective measure like writing of some texts in expereince letter.
Wish u Seasons' Greetings!!!
Shailesh Parikh
27th December 2012 From India, Mumbai
We should think this in broader prospects,
If some one is resigning, what are the reasons?
Definitely for better prospects, higher salary and more comfort.
Why one should become hindrance in the growth of other one.
Yes, if companies want to retain their employees, they should think to provide better salary, opportunity to grow with more comforts.
By adding a line here or there will not solve the purpose.
AK Mathur
Everyone in this world is Self-centered …. Its just the radius that Differs.
27th December 2012 From India, Delhi
Dear Ms.Devi,
Mentioning \"Short term Notice\" in the not good.
U can mention dt of joining and date of relieving.
Relieving of an employee from the comp. without any issue is most important.
B.Gopalakrishna Murthy.
27th December 2012 From India, Hyderabad
Dear Ms. Devi,
In the experience letter nobody mentioned "employee resigned on short notice" in my experience. Employee resignation and experience is different letters.
If you want to stop the informal resignation or staff turnover or absenteeism, first you have to identify the reasons or problems for turnover of employees from your organisation. Once you identify the reasons or problems you have to take problem solution measure to reduce the turnover.
27th December 2012 From India, Mumbai
Dear Member
I agree with Shailesh that there is nothing as informal resignation. Resignation is a document which is very official in nature and is to be treated like one.
Mention of short notice period will not make difference as the new employer might have come to an understanding with the employee in terms of buy back of notice period and / or has accepted that the person is joining by giving a short notice. For future organisations it would not matter.
Further if you are recovering the short notice period from his final settlement as per the terms and conditions of the appointment letter then you are effectively harming the company image by issuing a letter which mentions the short of notice period as the word would be that company has not only recovered the amount but has also given such a relieving letter.
Preetam Deshpande
27th December 2012 From India, Mumbai
Its time for the thread starter to reply. After receiving solution from almost all angles we expect some input from your end too.
What does your company mean by FORMAL & INFORMAL RESIGNATION!!
If the INFORMAL RESIGNATION is one where the employee does not fulfill notice period it is NEVER a resignation. It is a case of ABSCONDING. In such a case where does the question of issuing EXPERIENCE LETTER come??
If employee serves partial notice period it is mutually agreed & hence we it is considered as FORMAL RESIGNATION. In such case why is it that you need to mention SHORT NOTICE in experience certificate??
Kindly clarify the same.
27th December 2012 From India, Ahmedabad
Dear All,
Thankyou so much for your valuable suggestions & guidance..Yes, I understand that we cannot retain anybody once they wish to quit and join other firm. As Sri. Hiral Mehta said, if there are better ways to solve the issue, Pls share with us.
27th December 2012 From India, Thiruvananthapuram
Dear All, Everything is for good. Nothing is for worry saying in Bhagavat Geeta..... Regards, Ojos
27th December 2012 From India, Chennai
We dont issue exp letter for absconders. If the employee serves partial notice period which is not mutually agrees, and if he insists to relieve him at the earliest, what should be the letter.
27th December 2012 From India, Thiruvananthapuram
Ha, If the employee serves partial notice period, and if it is not mutually agreed, then how should be the letter. regards
27th December 2012 From India, Thiruvananthapuram
If the partial notice is not mutually agreed, where is the question of issuing a letter. You can issue a letter saying

" We have received your letter dated.... requesting you to be relieved with effecct from........ As per the letter dated... you should give........ days notice and this falls short by ( so many number of days) from such notice period.


Hence you are hereby informed that you will be relieved only effective ( date) as per the terms of appointment


Hence you are informed that you will be relieved only from ( date) and if you do not serve the remaining notice period, notice pay for the remaining period will be recovered from you."

I would like to mention here that if he does not come from the date he has specified, Management can not treat as absconding from service though some might take this stand.

The issue here is fulfilling terms and conditions regarding notice period. If the letter says, he can resign by giving one month's notice or one months notice pay, then courts will look at whether he has fulfilled these conditions. Assume a situation where an employee attaches a cheque for the notice pay along with the resignation letter, then it can be inferred that he has fulfilled the condition. Similarly here is an employee gives partial notice, serves that period and then does not come, I would say that the Management has not acted on time. His money is with you and he knows that you can recover the Notice period wages from his dues

Just ask yourself the following questions:

1. Has he given you intimation?

2. Has he paid the Notice pay?

3. Can you recover the Notice Pay from his dues?

If the answer is yes to all, then you can not treat this as absconding

If you stiull want to issue a letter, you can mention the facts and issue a letter. Mention that he requested for getting relieved earlier and it was not agreed, He then did not come from the said date onwards Hence it is presumed that his notuce period falls short and recovery for the days is being made.

T Sivasankaran
28th December 2012 From India, Chennai
Reply (Add What You Know) Start New Discussion

Cite.Co - is a repository of information created by your industry peers and experienced seniors. Register Here and help by adding your inputs to this topic/query page.
Prime Sponsor: TALENTEDGE - Certification Courses for career growth from top institutes like IIM / XLRI direct to device (online digital learning)

About Us Advertise Contact Us
Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2019 Cite.Co™