No Tags Found!

Faygeorge

Hi All
One of my colleagues is currently working for an MNC,. As a new rule, they are scheduled for 8 hours a day. In the past, they were allowed to have half an hour break. But now there is no lunch break. Timings are changed from 8am to 4pm.
Is it appropriate to work for 8 hour without taking a lunch break?
Although there is an advantage is that he is off for the day one hour early with the new timings.
Request guidance
WR
Fay

From Kuwait
Suresh N

Hi Fay As per shop and establishment act tamilnadu every four hour we can take a break for ten minutes. I dont know whether it is true or not any way our seniors will help u. Regards
From India, Madras
manish2678

lunch or tea break is necessary in any rule.. it is a right of an employee.. may be the break for 10-15 minitues.
From India, Delhi
anu_1259

I think these conditions are not favourable for a healthy mind and work. We take lunch and coffee breaks so that we can recharge ourselves. I understand that the employee will be relieved one hour before but will he/she be able to sustain hunger for so many hours. and also there may be people who have certain illness like diabetes or anything, what about them. I think 10-15 min break must be there if not half an hour.
Another option is that u give tea break to all for 10 min and whoever wants to have lunch in that, can have it.
But totally not having a lunch schedule is something not accepted.
regards
anuradha

From India, Delhi
Ashwini K

We should have atleast 10minutes break for every 2 hours.
Or else atlease he can have 30-40minutes break for every 4 hours.
He should relax his mind. R else he will mad.
we are human beings yaar!!!!!!!

From India, Bangalore
si_aru
Hi, A person without a Break will go MAD, He cannot be that Productive as compared to others. Regards
From India, New Delhi
Hiten Parekh

Hi Fay !
You seem to be working in Gulf country (your profile says so). I am not much aware of labour laws over there. In India the labour laws be it Factories Act, Contract labour act, shops and establishments act are very clear and presise about break during the working hours. You will have to check the labour laws in the country where you work.
However, working for 8 hours without break for lunch / food is illogical and not sort of 'inhuman'.
If noticed by any competent authority in any country would get objected in my opinion.
Views of other members are requested please.
- Hiten

From India, New Delhi
ng_nidhi
Hi
our company works 9.30 to 6.30PM, officially we are 5 days but most of the department needs to work on saturday. this 9 hours working is with a logic that people get 30 minutes lunch but I feel 9hrs i.e.9.30 to 6.30 is still too much, considering that we need to work on saturdays too. Is there any solution to it.

Ash Mathew

Its a crazy idea.
As Anuradha mentioned - it will not encourage a healthy working condition.
The mind needs periodic breaks and intake of food as required for a normal human being.
How about suggesting the management to ask them eat to all three meals together and work continuously for 8 hrs without a break? Its easy for employers to comment and "prepare such policies". But trust me they would not let their own kids/family members go through this.
Not following proper schedules when it comes to food and living, can cause life time problems, it can increase/decrease blood pressure.
Also - to immediately regain strength there will be a tendency to take in more calories, that can increase all possibilities of being a sugar pateint at a very young age.
I guess - going through a normal work routine. 8 hrs work and 45 mins - 1 hr total break time, will make life much easier, and better...and longer.

From India, Madras
Balaji Kuppuswamy

its totally against the labour policy / workmen policy giving continuous work without break.
if approached in a labour court, the co. will be sued and penalized leading to cancellation of their licence (factory).
now strong enactments are there to penalize such unscrupuluous acts.
kb

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.