No Tags Found!

Anonymous
Hello All, I need HR Experts advice on this.
I was on Maternity leave for 6 Months. Before joining back from my leave I had a discussion with my manager. He assured me that I will be joining back on the same i.e HR Business Partner. He said that it goes without saying that I will be joining back on the same role. He forced me to join back even though I wanted some more leaves. But post my joining, just after 4 days he says that I don't have a role for you in HR Business Partner. We can give you something in HR Operations. I reminded him of the conversations that we had before my joining. I am not ready to join in HR operations and I feel he is simply trying to play a game. He is not ready to talk to me now.
Please advice.

From Sweden
Archana Gangrade

Hi Sangita , You can go and complaint in Labour Commissioner against him.
From India, Bhopal
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sangita,
You have explained your problem about the change of role. But then please confirm what role did you perform as HR Business Partner (HRBP). You say that now you have been told to perform role of HR Operations. What are the duties included in this role? What is the difference between the two? Why do you perceive that role of HR Operations is below your dignity?
For Archana Gangrade: - Employers reserve right to transfer employee from one department to another or one location to another. Generally most of the companies include clause to this effect in the appointment letter. In Sangita's case, her department is not changed but just a section within the department. Therefore, I doubt whether Labour Officer (LO) will involve in the internal matters of the company.
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
Anonymous
Dinesh Divekar - I have not written that HR Operations role is below my dignity. My problem is that I was assured that I will be given the same role that I was performing before my Maternity Leave, but just after my joining I was told that unfortunately they don't have a role for me in HR Business Partnering.
Every role has its own essence, its just that I do not aspire to be in HR Operations role. My interest area and aspirations are totally into HR Business Partnering role. Moreover , only reason why I joined this company was I was being offered my dream and aspired role.
This is like cheating here that 1 week before my joining I am being forced to join asap on the same role and just after 1 week I am told we don't have a role for you. Hope you have a clarity on my Problems now. For more details, I would request you to please check the difference between HR Operations and HR Business Partner role.

From Sweden
nathrao

What was your position as per appointment letter?
While employee may feel different, company reserves right to depute employee on other task also.
Role between these two titles are sometimes blurred.
Any major changes took place in company working environment, business etc during your leave period.
Could be there are genuine reasons and management had not much of choice and had to put you in operations.
Any way labour officer has no role to play in this internal reallocation of roles.
Employee can try to convince management that she can do better justice to role of Business partner which is more strategic oriented in functions.

From India, Pune
Dinesh Divekar

Dear Sangita,
Being in the role of HR Business Partner would be close to any HR's heart. HRBP is the latest currency in the HR's jargon. Nevertheless, if you look back, you will find that after every 5-10 years since the days of Personnel Management, HR always coined something new. What started as HR Management, later became Human Capital Management, Human Capability Management, Human Potential Management and so on. The latest discovery from HR's sack is HR Business Partner. Why HR is in identity crisis perennially?
Nevertheless, no HR has come up with any credible explanation as to why HR feels need to be business partner? If Production, Purchase, Finance or any other functionary does not bother to tell others that they are business partners, why HR felt need to do that?
Inability to provide credible explanation apart, I am yet to see any HRBP coming up with evidence to show that how their activities contributed to the revenue generation or reduced operational cost. Has any HRBP shown proof of their activities on the balance sheet of the company?
Therefore, my recommendation to you is to cool down and accept the role of HR Operations. Though you have not explicitly mentioned in your first post that it is below your dignity, your post implies that way. Else to mitigate your grieve, you may resign from your job. However, this option has it's own demerits as well.
Lastly, thanks for your advice on finding out the difference between HR Operations and HRBP. Your second post will become outstanding for queriest turning into adviser!
Thanks,
Dinesh Divekar

From India, Bangalore
jayaashree

Dear Mr. Divekar,
Your earlier post, number 3 in this thread is commendable, especially the second para is thoroughly justified.
The next post ( above) is not written in good taste wrt HR, its functions, roles and specific designation. HR has evolved and come a long way with time. Large organisations have varied portfolio wrt HR. Kindly respect the position and person. In this thread the seeker is asking the forum and we can guide her accordingly. Not differentiate each department or section and its value add to the organisation. Every department and person in a particular organisation is an asset in the system. I rest my discussion here wrt your second post.
Dear Anonymous,
The second para of Mr. Divekar post stands true. The same must have been mentioned in your appointment letter which is very generic statement. I understand the predicament you are in. Try to speak to your up-line and in the meanwhile look out for other avenues where your education and experience is valued. Till then HR operations will definitely add value to your curriculum vitae.

From India, Mumbai
KK!HR

Dear all, Is it that the organisation is suddenly realising that they have no need for HRBP while there is a need for HROP and the role change has nothing to do with your maternity leave. For any HR professional HROP is as relevant as HRBP though one may not have an aptitude for one or the other, yet it is necessary to have an overall view of the HR function. As you grow in the organisation one needs a holistic understanding of the whole function and cannot confine oneself to one area alone. Anyhow, if you are still not reconciled to the change, you may look for alternate place suiting your tastes, but it does not appear your organisation or boss is blameworthy in this instance.
From India, Mumbai
Anonymous
Jayashree - Thanks for understanding my situation and the valuable advice.
Dinesh Divekar - I think you are not just trying degrade now HRBP role, stating they have not done any valuable work with the business in the organization. I think Ms Jayashree is right that HR is evolved a lot over a period of time and in large organizations there are various section in HR Dept.
You might feel that my post implies that HR operations is below my dignity, but that's your perception. It depends on the Reader how do they read and perceive something. In this forum I am asking for a guidance and not any kind of rude advices.
Anyway thanks for your above post(advice) given by you.

From Sweden
Anonymous
KK!HR
HROP is a completely different role from HRBP. HRBP is more of a strategic role. IF it would not be a different role, it would not be termed differently. HRBP is completely a different role from HROP.
I agree with your statement that one needs to have knowledge in all the functions. Please understand that in this forum I am asking for a guidance to deal with the situation and not trying to understand from everyone the difference between the 2 roles. Plus FYI I have worked in HROP role earlier in my previous organization. Its just that my interest area and aspirations are totally into HRBP role.

From Sweden
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.