Preethi@ksh
Hi,friends im an MBA Hr but presently im working as an secretary, previously i worked as an counselor for 1yr and recruiter for 4 months. My question is till now i dnt have any generalist exp but i wanted to work as HR Generalist so suggest me and guide how i have to cope up in getting that kind of job?
From India, Hyderabad
jeevarathnam

Hi Preethi
As already you worked in various positions for about 2 years it is not so easy to get the job into generalist. If you really want to change then you should learn the CoreHR activities, Payroll, Statutory, Compliance & other modules. Then you might get chance to be as HR generalist

From India, Bangalore
saiconsult

Preeti

I observe that you wnat to break into HR-Generalist profile but you have been into three roles hitherto which are neither conencted to each other or to HR.This shows that you seem to be not clear about the direction in which you want to take your career and thus did not lay clear road map. When you sit in a taxi/auto in your city, the first question the driver asks you is "Madam, where you want to go" . If you reply " I do not know" , the auto driver perhaps will drive you round and round till the gas is exhausted. Similarly, if you are not sure of your goals, you will be doing all kind sof jobs and piling up years of experience which will add no vallue to your CV.Therefore, be driver of your career and ask the question " where I should go in my career?"The answer to that question determines the direction in which you need to take your career. At least now, you seem to be clear about it since you want to break into HR-generalist profile.

I do not know how much you can bank up on your previous expeinece to get a break into generalis profile.However I can suggest the following.

1) Find out whether as counsellor, what skills you have employed ?

2) Find out whether as a recruiter, you have also performed the tasks of matching CVs, back ground checking, preliminary interviewing etc.

3) As secretary, Find out what skills you are using ? whether covening meetings, minutising proceedings of meetings etc.?

4)See whether ther eis any chance, if you show initiative to acquaint yourself with salary administration in your current job?

5) Try to align those skills to HR functions lke training, grievance handling, salary administration, conveneing employee meetings,recruitment etc.

6) revamp your CV accordingly.

7) In th mean time, do some short term certification course in generalist profile to supplement your chances of success.

You need to do all this. A child needs to crawl first and then make an effort to satnd before it actually starts walking .

All the best for your future.

B.Saikumar

HR & Labour Law advisor

Mumbai

From India, Mumbai
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.