sonal shree

Infosys had compelled employees to sign non compete bonds to prevent them from joining other(rival) firms and the result has been dissatisfaction.

So its proved that employees will do what they like as long as there are greener pastures before them. And that's human nature. Even HR professionals will surely grab opportunities if that offers more in terms of job satisfaction or salary.

However, the exit process is of concern. It is not always possible to make the employer aware of one's plans for change (job) as the employer will not approve of it even though etichs demand that.

In certain European countries, hiring is done in line with the 'employment at will' principle which means that the employer or the employee can terminate the relationship any time with no liability if there was no contract for a definite term.

All that can and should be done is to ensure that workplace provides job satisfaction and a cordial environment where there is a culture of listening.

Instead of Exit interviews, try Stay interviews and take regular feedbacks. The employees should be encouraged to speak their concerns and grievances and they should be addressed to rather than merely paying a lip service. There are some companies which do not give sky high salaries to their employees yet the latter have been known to stick with them for more than 20 years. This suggests that employees look for a place where they can look forward to going every Monday.

As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, induction and mentoring help.

HR has often been accused of 'arrogance' which is not true at all. At the same time, the fact that employees are the backbone of any organization and it is we who are responsible for them makes us accountable for them.

From India, Mumbai
unusual_indu

Dear Ms Sonal Thank you for a truly enriching post .I will surely keep in mind the suggestions that has been put forward by you Keep posting Thanks and Regards Indrani Chakraborty
From India, Pune
nandita_venkatesh
Hi Indrani,
This is one area where no one can do anything about. People are most free to meet outside and talk about comapny, boss, salary or the absence of it, HR or anything else. We cannot do anything about it. It totally depends upon the employee and his ethics and values-in other words, its personal!
Thanks for inviting me to keep in touch. Will do so. This is a great forum to meet like-minded fellow HR-ians like you!
Can you also suggest which is the best MBA- in HR that one take in the Distance Learning mode? I am looking to join one. Is an MBA better than a Diploma in HRM? Need suggestions....
Regards,
nandita

From India, Bangalore
unusual_indu

Dear Ms Nandita
Thank you for your comments.I guess the distant learning course from ICFAI has got value in the market .I will ask my batch mates about their views but my personal view is, a part time MBA after office hours where you can attend classroom education is always preferred than DLC(this is if you want to carry on with your education along with your job,otherwise it is always great to have a full time MBA HR degree,it adds value to your profile)
For any other queries feel free to get in touch with me at my email id or just puit a psot I will get back to you
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Vennila Natarajan
Thanks Guru.
Hi Indu,
You are right from your point of view and analysis.
We have to find the reason why this happens, as we are also under the list of employees we have to do the best to the employees...
Guru,
I feel we have to start a separate question to get the solution for the problems faced by the employees by the unthical activities of the management...
Seniors suggest,
PEER, Amit and all my friends what are you doing...
No comments from your side...

From India, Madras
PraveenIP

Dear Indu,

As long as the GAP in SUPPLY and DEMAND exists there is no point in Blaming HR to be ethical. As you know all HR personnel are under pressure from their managements and Teams to staff up with the required personnel at the shortest time.

At one point of time I was also following your suggestion and wanted the HR community to be One. Later I realised that this does not work as everyone else is taking candidates without clean documents.

How are we going to do this if we stick to all the rules and polcies? We try to follow as much as possible to do it but most of us break the rule at one point or another.

Remember if we dont deliver then we stand to lose our jobs! Especially after reading a report in yesterdays time sof India that all IT/ITES companies have defferred hiring HR/Admin and Accounts personnel due to the fall in dollar pricing most of us dont want to be in the market without a job!!! :roll:

I am wtih you but the market will not allow us to be ethical!

Regards

Praveen

From India
Maria Merlin
Hi Indrani,

I go with Vennila's view... in some cases management is unethical towards employees as well the HR. I myself the victim of such practice. I need some seniors help in this regard.

I have 7+yrs of experience in HR field. It is only through experience i'm now in the position of Office Manager in a small software company. all the companies i worked were very good and due to some personal commitments i resigned from a reputed company and stayed back in home for 8months. after that break i joined in a small software company cum HR consultancy as Executive - HR with a very less pay offered. but considering my experience and dedication towards work i got my hike within a month. but there was no paper documents to say my increment. it was only a oral communication. and i was paid with the hike for 3 months. After 3 months the company met financial crisis and we din't get our salary for 3 months. please note that we din't sign any voucher for the salary in any of the months. since the management was little close to the employees, all employees din't ask for the salary.. and finally we decided to quit from the company and i joined in another firm. now i cant get my 3 months salary. if i ask in my previous company he says, he don't have money and he cannot give salary to the employees.

Seniors, please do suggest what can be done. can i take any legal action against the company. I got more than the remuneration quoted in my offer letter. also i haven't got my relieving order, experience certificate, my salary certificate from that company. i need submit all these docs to my current employer. what shall i do further to get all my papers and the salary...

Waiting for valuable suggestions......

From India, Madras
Suresh Deshpande

Hi Indranil.
I understand the concern raised by you that employees are leaving their organisation without proper notice or intimation. As someone said that there are also many cases wherein bosses of the resigned employees are not ready to leave them inspite of serving the full notice period.
As HR professional we need to be balanced in both situations. While in first case the reference checks/ background verifications are becoming part of selection procedure and help up to great extent in filtering the wrong canddiates. In the second case we need to see that the boss/supervisor of the resigned staff relieves the person resigned with diginity if proper notice is served.
Suresh.

From India, New Delhi
unusual_indu

[/quote]
Dear Mr Pravenn
Thank you so much for your views .I guess I was not very clear on my post the last time .I would just like to point out that at no point of time I have blamed any HR for such a situation as I know that an HR has to work under tremendous recruiment pressures nd thee days employees are also smart in putting up a false cv or a convincing story about why they dont have a relieving letter
I also agree with Mr Gururajs post that sometimes employees are also harassed by employers
I just wanted to create an awareness among the HR fraternity that a clean exit procedure is necessary for the employees and the managment too and the HRs role in this case is also very crucial so let us put our 100% efforts to make it a success.I know this is a hypothetical situation but "lets hope for the best and prepare for the worst" :)
Keep posting
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Kayal

Hi Indrani

That's really a thought provoking one and lot of HR fraternerties have shared their views.

I wud also like to add on few experiences we had in our company.

1. We hired a person who was the right fit for that position and as per the company policy, we wanted all the dox like rel lr, service lr etc. The guy requested for time and promised to give the same within 15 days ... 30 days .... and days got extended and he didn't produce the dox.

At one point, we need to take a call whether to entertain this or not. It was then a debatable topic bet HR & Dept head ( as he was quite impressed with the employee ). But, we as HR of an organisation made it very clear that an employee shall not be taken if proper dox were not there. It was quite a tough decision then, ( considering humanitarian basis ) but if we had extended to one guy, the others may follow the same.

2. During a ref check done by a consultancy, we came to know that one guy had given emp no., designation and period of work along with copy of relieving lr ( prepared by him ) to his present employment

To our surprise, this guy has never worked with us and we were quite taken back and gave the info to his current employer as well as the Consultant who were doing ref check.

In such cases, employees may think that HR is not user friendly or they are trying to ruin a person's life.

But, I feel as HR of an organisation we need to keep our values reinforced and set an example.

Awaiting for your views.

Kayal

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.