unusual_indu

Dear Ms Nandita
Nice to know you have already crossed one step and you are on step 2 :)
Now I guess you can send a written warning to the manager and also make him responsible for any work/project kept pending because the members in his team left abruptly .If I assume only the managers behaviour towards the team members is the only cause of this horrible situation then make him do the share of work your old employees where supposed to do
I hope this helps you
Secondly thank you for putting an appropriate comment for Ms Radha
Please feel free to get in touch with me for further discussions
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
Pinkii

no doubt looking for the better opportunities is the right of every employee and you know we can not only give the onus to the organzation. many a times it happen that it is the basic problem with the employee attitude or sometimes it does happen that people in the orgnization itself mislead new employee mainly by feeding them wrong information about the appriasals, polices, leavs etc.

so i thng best and implied induction should be given to the new recruits before actually they join hands with the other employees of the orgnization.

secondly a mentoring system should be developed in the orgn to which the employee can share his griefs, success, problems realed to orgn and a mentor can realy understand by listening to him the intesity of trouble if any he is facing and thus he would be able to intimte the mgt regarding theis so hr can take backup actions or they can look into the matter asap.

other things whihc can be done is taking orgn feedbacks from the employees on at least bi-annually basis so that the exact position can come up to the surface level.

moreover the hr should do a trend analysis as to if people are leaving then in which department the attrition is generally escalated. and certainly the root cause of the problem can be found. hr can have one to one discussions, can take reveiws of new recruits from the people working out there.

regarding the checking of the background of the employee, making pseudos cv and things like that i belive that to a great extent it is the interviews skill to judge a person at the time of talking to him and nowdays u can also make a person undergo various type of psychomatric tests that can help orgn to judge the person's inner self and how much importance does he give to orgn commitment. 16 PF may be used.

i thing above initiatives from the orgn HR's side can help to cure this problem to a great extent.

what do you say???

From India, New Delhi
manohr@gmail.com
Hi 'Unusual' Indu, Radha & other friends..

This is a very sensitive topic that's raised and an actual 'nightmare' situation for the actual process owners. While I respect all the posts and point out that ALL had 'INPUTS', including Radha's.

I LOVE WHAT RUCHIKA HAS BROUGHT OUT - HR TAKING A STAND

But, the truth is not Hidden - HR many-a-times (not all) has to follow instructions... and in such issues, in a talent-crunch situation, where projects can't wait, hiring is imperative, people are 'IMMEDIATELY' needed, taking stand means Company's Loss... and one wouldn't actually wanna suffer that.

Coming back to the initial post... Firstly, I think we need to understand the process - If an employee is acting irresponsibly, by absconding and quitting or any other means, why is he doing so?

Instead the question posted here is - With all due respect and acceptance that your company is following the best practices...

I understand that when we say company is doing everything etc., etc.,

1. You're operating with a close-mind

2. You're not open to any criticism, even constructive

3. And more importantly, you are not reading between the lines and ignoring the causes.

Before I go too far from the actual subject, lemme make my point(s) --

Companies as they grow large get more disconnected with the bottomline.. and are not informed of what's brewing..

All employees need is value for their talent. If your company cannot pay for talent, and someone else can, why would one not go to the highest bidder?

Companies now-a-days Buy out employees. Not minding the amount.

I know of companies which don't care to do proper documentation while taking a new person on rolls. Implications - The candidate is ready to join next day if the hiring company has no qualms and is ready to compensate for whatever problems may arise.

And remember, the person may have left the company, but he sure is in touch with his colleagues.. This results in a chain reaction.. You need to put a check on this from spreading... This is for REAL.

About Radha's comments:

Perhaps we HR folks sometimes oversee this point Radha has raised, that employees do not understand the meaning of CTC (well, not all are as intelligent as we expect them to be). What I exactly am saying is, they confuse CTC with gross and end up disappointed as their expectations are not matching. I myself am appalled at some executives while on the job training etc., how people can't understand what is told once and agreed on.

There was no offense meant in this.. when i say not all are as intelligent, i mean, mistakes happen.. and they must be expected.. it's humane..

Well... looking forward to more participation beyond comments & joining hands..

Best,

Manohar..

From India, Bangalore
unusual_indu

[quote="manohar"]Hi 'Unusual' Indu, Radha & other friends..
- Dear Mr Manohar
Thank you for your valuable suggestions I agree with your above comments ,Indeed I was working with a close mind and that is the reason I have put forward my views on the open forum and invited suggestions from you all
I also agree with you when you say that ex-employee is in touch with the current employees .Is there a way to stop this ....Can you suggest me something I can do about it ?
Thanks and Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
sengailingam

Dear Madam

I am not a HR man. I am in a PSU with lot (40 years) of experience in HR (Staff) At the first instance I would like to state that no organization could keep an uninterested man in their organization and the output / contribution of the particular employee will considerably less.

1. We should ensure why that fellow is leaving the organization.

2. Secondly we should create an image amongst the employees that once they submit their wilingness, they arerelieved within the time prescribed by the organization.

3. To curb the practice of abrubt leaving without any intimateion, the organization may obtain their important document viz the original academic qualification certificate under the custodoy of the organization and the same may be made over to the employee at the time of physical relief from the organization.

4. The employee may perhaps be asked to deposit a reasonable amount (like Security Deposit) in a bank either at the time of appointment or immediately after his joining within a resonable time. This deposit may go on be increasing every year so that the experienced people will have a consideration before their action.

Hope

sengailingam

Dear Madam

I am not a HR man. I am in a PSU with lot (40 years) of experience in HR (Staff) At the first instance I would like to state that no organization could keep an uninterested man in their organization and the output / contribution of the particular employee will considerably less.

1. We should ensure why that fellow is leaving the organization.

2. Secondly we should create an image amongst the employees that once they submit their wilingness, they arerelieved within the time prescribed by the organization.

3. To curb the practice of abrubt leaving without any intimateion, the organization may obtain their important document viz the original academic qualification certificate under the custodoy of the organization and the same may be made over to the employee at the time of physical relief from the organization.

4. The employee may perhaps be asked to deposit a reasonable amount (like Security Deposit) in a bank either at the time of appointment or immediately after his joining within a resonable time. This deposit may go on be increasing every year so that the experienced people will have a consideration before their action.

Hope this may give some idea upon your question

with wishes

C K Jambulingam alias Sengailingam

unusual_indu

Dear Mr Sengalingam
It is a pleasure to have a comment from somebody who has such a rich experience .
Thank you for your suggestions I would just like to add that we used to keep the original marksheet of the candidate at our branch office which is in arelatively smaller town than Pune but here the employees refused to submit their orginals and hence we missed some good candidates .That is why we have stopped that practice altogether
Secondly we have recently designed a salary structure(which I have posted on the community)wherein we have decided to put a retention allowance and the money getting accumulated in that kitty will be disbursed to the employee after completion of 1 yr of service
Keep posting
Best Regards
Indrani Chakraborty

From India, Pune
SRIRANGAN.V
Dear Hr,
I am happy to see the post made by indu.
let us join our hands to solve this issue.
please come to a common solution to solve the issue, please be in touch my mail id:

From India, Madras
nandaranjeeta
Dear Indrani,

You are very correct in saying that we should ensure that the employee submits his / her resignation acceptance / relieveing letter to the company. Infact this is a must as we never know that this employee could even be employed in the previous company for a part time and as per our laws one employee cannot be employed at two places at the same time. But many a times just because of the high number pressure we simply ignore these things. So it becomes our prime responsibility to see that if the employee is showing exp then he should have a relieving letter or acceptance of resignation.

The main reason behind such incidents is that either the management is not ready for a smooth release of an employee or the wrong intention of an employee( many a times they think that let me get this month's salary and i will absond...this is mostly the case of BPO agents). I have also seen that employees submits resignation and asks for earliest release from the job and they are ready to go by the agreement in the Appointment letter which says that either you serve notice period or you give your salary in lieu off but still managers say that you have to serve the notice period. Mostly employees abscond and prefer to abscond in such cases. So the question is what should we do about it? In my opinion either we should revise the agreement or should be ready for such incidents.

Guys thoughts pls...

From India
K.Ravi

So many HR and so many views. Nothing left for me to say. Hope we get some meaningful conclusion from this, as not each situation and environment that the HR and employees face is similar, and here the HR being from different cities, and states, there is a wide difference in each one of them experiencing a different situation. .
Here many suggested many ways, but lets see which could practically be implemented in real life, and would it be benefitial to maximum people.

From India, Pune
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.