priyaslakshmi1905@gmail.com

Dear Professionals, I am writing to seek advice and discuss a case involving a friend of mine who works in the software industry and has over one year of experience in this field. Currently, he is employed for 8 months in the current company with a salary package of 300,000 INR per annum, which includes all benefits. His HR department verbally assured him of a salary increment after three months, but it has not been fulfilled. It's worth noting that colleagues who joined the company after him are now earning twice his salary and report to him. Unfortunately, his project manager has not addressed this issue, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

Presently, he is being asked to work overtime on various projects. How should he go about addressing this situation with the CTO or HR? Is there a possibility to refuse overtime work, and is this a valid approach for requesting a salary increment?

I am interested in understanding how an HR professional should respond to such a situation and what potential consequences my friend might encounter.

He asked me about the same Insights from my side was :

Since it was a verbal offer we could not expect it. As verbal offers and assurances can sometimes be less reliable than written contracts or official documents. And salary increments are typically at the discretion of the company. While employees may have expectations and discussions regarding raises, it's ultimately the company's decision whether to grant an increment and, if so, the amount and timing of the increase. Companies consider various factors such as performance, market conditions, budget constraints, and internal policies when making decisions about salary increments. It's essential for employees to communicate their expectations and achievements to their superiors and HR, but the final decision rests with the employer.

Looking forward your guidance and insights.

From India, Kochi
vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

It is not advisable to refuse overtime work for the sake of salary revision. As nothing is committed in writing either your friend can wait for some more time or can discuss with his immediate Supervisor about his expectation. As right pointed out by you salary revisions are based on so many parameters and cannot be demanded as a matter of right. All the same there is nothing wrong in discussing about expectations.

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.