No Tags Found!

yausekar
hi Rakesh,
I have gone through u r post. Well it is true that for HR Freshrs it difficult to eneter in a core gneralise HR.It can be possible through College Placement only OR some times on your own but chances are very less. I am also a B.TECH AND MBA in HR, I WAS UNEMPLOYED FOR 5 months after MBA.got many chnaces in Consultancies but i have not accepted it and finaaly i got a chance to work for a Soft firm As a generalise HR. Though firm is small but i am learning lot and also have offer of big companies now. so bottam line is keep trying dont go for money first go for profile.and also dont be unemployed during this period accept consultancies or do marketing and keep searching for desired profile.
Best Luck
Yogesh

From India, Pune
rekhabhat
Hi Rakesh,
Its true that requiremnt for HR generalist is very few. But If you properly search every day there are opportunities but with less pay.once you have experience the you can easily grow.May be freshers dont get in MNC but many middle and small scale industries are available.Just dont lose hope.have positive attitude and go a head the definetly you wil get .
Regards,
Rekha

From India, Hyderabad
rkandadai

Hi Rakesh,
Let me share my experience from where i started and where i reached now, hope this would answer few of your questions. I understand the desperation of the freshers but we cant help it, lets be practical first.
Jobs in HR General as such are less compared to whts your area of strenght unlike sales marketing and techi jobs.

When i Joined my college i joined with a gap after graduation as i was working at that time and i was into sales then later realised my competencies and then i opted for MBA. Once i Joined MBA-HR it was my obsession and passion do be different...i took initiative in all areas in my college and gone to extent of taking initiatives of conducting surveys and OD workshops for my college itself. For me MBA-HR was my future n bread n butter for me for rest of my life compared to bad phases in my past- I got Gold Medal for being outstanding student of my acedamic year.

Since the time i joined college , my learning was not merely whts books says its was more of research work by own and while i was at that stage i was getting inspired with few functional areas of HR and starts developing skills, later after MBA for almost 1 year i was jobless with any clarity though i approached good number of indusrties, including couple of cement factories where i was able to find job but at the time of appointment i was been told position has been cancelled.
After that i seriously thought bout getting into research but there also i was not able to get admission into fellowship program as they wanted somebody with immediate teaching experience.

From there on first break in HR i got in Recruitments area that too international recruitements from them on i was getting passionated for getting a break. i really worked hard in my weakers areas and at the same time luckly the kind of companies i joined i started doing SWOT analysis on the companies i worked and suggesting lots of HR related activites at the same time doing justice to the responsibility on hand as Recruiter, Within one year i proud lots or people wrong who were from varied backgrounds and got Best Recruiter of the year awared.

From there on i only had one goal in my mind how to get into HR General and for that what am i currently lacking and what should i still develop on...the companies i worked with my only task out of my self initiative is to understand the processess in place and come out with best possible solutions and start taking initiatives where ever i got the opportunites.

After gaining 3 years experience in Recruiters- i clearly knew where i should move on from there, then i started looking for similar jobs..recruitments, process understanding, general HR Functions and exposure of current market trends and HR Policies and helped me a lots to pitch in to say that i was suitable for HR- General Role, and i joined a mid sized company, with full of confidence as Asst Manager-HR....from there on there was no turning back for me ....i spend most of my time in research but today i can proudly say that i have implemented lots of good things in my company and proved my mattle. Today i am working as Manager-HR in Software Development Company.

I am telling you with my experience, all you need to have self confidence and zeal to think and do things differently.
All freshers should learn one thing:
  • Dreams are good but your need a path to reach the same- Vision is what i want to be and if so Mission is how i want to reach that....
  • Always be open and flexible to take up any challenges
  • Show that you have that potential and dont be over smart- there is a thin layer between being confident and overconfident...
  • Knowlegde and exposure to the current trends in market will always helps..
  • Communication its not how well you can take but how well you can translate your idea
  • Flexibility is always needed
  • Maturity is a must- Analysis and decision making skills
  • Ability to follow instructions
  • Creativity on the Job
  • PP: Patience Pays: Its the strongest that that you need to adapt as you are dealing with people.
  • Work Ethics: HR is supposed to be confidential Desk
  • Be a Mobile Manager.
I can only suggest you it doesnt matter where n how you start but the start makes a difference but once you get started...and Stop not till your Goal is Reached:I am nots saying that i have achieved everything but my passion has not died ....Learning is never ending.

Please look into this career path ...it might differ from one company to the other but surely it will help u plan yourself accordingly.

Career Path: Attached for your review.

It is just three functional areas identified, no matter where you start you will always get opportunites to move into any cross functional areas...all that it needs is you open your eyes and mind and start planning and taking right decisions in rights time.

you can reach me at [IMG]https://www.citehr.com/misc.php?do=email_dev&email=cmthbmRhZGFpQGdtYWlsLm NvbQ==[/IMG]
Good Luck!!

From India, Hyderabad
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: doc careerpaths_Business Operations.doc (54.5 KB, 437 views)

ravi.ramanaiah
hey rakesh,

first of all dont worry , even i have done my B.Tech (ECE) and then MBA HR. it was really a good suggestion tht u first get into consultancy in the first hand. i do understand tht u will be worried abt the aspects HR, generally all HR freshers say they are looking out for Core HR role (even i did it).

please take time to understand the industry before taking a break into MNC, i suggest recruitment firms as you have very good exposure and main thing is you can very interact with many people. u can understand many case studies.

dont worry abt the salaries and ppl coming from IIM's u will give them a tough competetion if u have one year experience. u need to work like more than ur manager expects from you. should never worry abt the hours of work and ur value additions makes the difference. in the ineterview u should be able to describe wht u have done to the company apart from from ur basic KRA's (key responsible area's).

even if u join at a very less salary u can ask for even 150% hike in your salary, by tht time even you will undestand how to negotiate and various aspects of HR.

i am telling u this with my own experience:-)

regards,

Ravi
Executive HR

From India, Vijayawada
dance

Hi Rakech,
Iam happy that u brought this out.
I passed MBA last year n I denied all the marketing profiles in my campus placemenmts because i was a stuanch HR. fINALLY i DID GET PLACED IN CAMPUS for a HR rpofile but my first job was a night mare. though I ve 6 months experience as a HR generalist I am still searching for a job. seniors tel 'dont join consuultancies but how lll they tackle employment gap related questions in intervews. IF u quit a company in 6 months the hr asks why u quit in 6 months but if u search job for 6 months(because u dont wanno join some concern where u dont ve any learning n then quit in a few months) they ask wwhat did u do for 6 months?
why s that a marketing fresher gets 25 to 30k but a HR gets only 15 to 20 k.
what actually happens s that talented interested people also shift to marketing because of low opportunities n salaries(which happened in my college)
end of the day ALL OF US ARE SOCIAL ANIMALS U C.

From India, Madras
asha_ahuja
Hello everyone,
I have got my 1st job after completing my online MBA in HR in a small company where I handle almost everything admin,hr as there are only 8-10 employees,but I am not getting exposure to salary preperations as there are no deductions over here but I am learning all other things nicely,please help me to know wether this is a good start for and if I gain experience over here ,will it be helpful to me in the future for HR jobs in big organisations.
please reply

From India, Delhi
monicar80
Hi,
Really I also faced the same problem but i would say if want to go in generalist then please trap some small or mid size company. and at least make exposure for min. 2 years.
all the best
Sanjay Sharma

pranath
Hi to all
Its really good to see all the replies Here i want to give an advice to all the freshers is that join any of the company or consultancy as Recruiters and for other HR- Activities. Join in an institute which provides all the functions of HR. Once you complete 6 months in one company then look for the opportunities make sure to add other HR-activities in Resume,which you learnt in institutes.I hope this works for you.
Pranath.

From India, Bangalore
Naharkatia
Hi Rakesh,

Gone through your post & its quite true that its difficult for MBA(HR) freshers to get generalist position at the first instance. I too faced the same situation last year when i passed my MBA from Mumbai University. I then joined an MNC consulting co in Mumbai and then after working for 1.1 years in recruitment & client relations got a great opportunity in a retail company in a generalist role as an Asst. Manager-HR.

What i believe that for MBA freshers, if they are not from any top B schools, they should grab opportunities in recruitments as recruitment is the beggining for a HR person. Try to get into some big consultancies which has a brand name in the market. Don't run aftr money first. Wht you should concentrate is the profile. Money will automatically come if you are good enough. Even if you don't have any practical experience of a generalist role, try to get your concepts right. I followed in this way and today i am very satisfied in my position as an AM-HR.

HR is all about learning from the scratch. Believe in yourself,be confident and you will surely fulfill your goal.

All the best !!!

Regards
Deep

From China, Qinhuangdao
rakesh_sharma_143

Hi Param… thank you so much… the way you explained about the phases in a HR career and the ways to achieve the role we want is truly excellent… this information was one of the things that I was looking for to gain clarity on… as to what we need to do to achieve the role we want…. And I am sure that this post will be helpful for many freshers… to decide…. as to what to focus on….

Hi Reetu… great going… and thanks for posting..

Hi Swetha… as gipsy said… I really liked the way you abbreviated JOB ( Just obey your Boss)..
Thanks for posting…

Hi Jaggu, Kalpana, Yogesh, Rekha… thank you so much for sharing your experiences…. It’s really very interesting to go through every ones growth ladder… it definitely instills confidence and more importantly hope in the minds of Freshers … thank you seniors and do keep sharing and posting your experiences….

Hi Rkandadai…. First and foremost… I thank you for showing your concern towards us freshers which reflects in the way that you patiently have written that long post of yours… when things like these happen its makes me feel so happy… I am really getting many points from all of you… and I am sure that this guidance of you all will definitely take not only me but also other people forward in achieving their dream roles…

From India, Secunderabad
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.