Anonymous
Hello, I have been working in a small company as a software engineer for 2 years. According to my offer letter's terms and conditions, my official notice period stated is 60 days. Due to a lack of growth, I resigned over email (the company doesn't have any portal) and agreed to honor my notice period. But my manager and HR were ignoring my resignation as they didn't want me to leave. From the next date of my resignation, I served my 60 days notice period before leaving.

But they are not giving me any acknowledgment. They are saying verbally that since they didn't approve my resignation (which they ignored intentionally), my notice period won't be counted and making it look like I absconded. They are threatening to give me a negative review in a background check.

No kind of reasoning is working on them. I don't know what to do as I wasn't even in the wrong. By ignoring my resignation and served notice period they think they can make people work for them forcefully. How is anyone supposed to resign from such a situation? Now my next companies will doubt me instead, even though I exited properly.

vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

This is not a good approach from employer side.

Keep all the proof towards your resignation and follow up with the employer. In case if they didn't respond properly you may seek the help of Labour Office with all proofs.

From India, Madras
Anonymous
Hi, what proof will I need? I have the offer letter, salary slips, and resignation email (as I sent bcc of my resignation mail to my personal email ID too).
And how to approach the labor department? I'm already stressed by the job hunt and fear if my next employer will even believe me. On top of that my previous employer has threatened to give negative feedback to whoever calls for my background check.

vmlakshminarayanan

Hi,

It is very unfortunate that you are subjected to mental agony.

Apart from offer letter, Appointment letter , salary slips the important requirement is your resignation related correspondence.

What is the reason behind emailing the resignation instead of submitting the hard copy to the immediate superior ? By any chance have you opted for read receipt option for that email. Your Employer might defend that email resignation is not received ? Have you received any response to that resignation email like resignation not accepted etc. You can search for Labour office of your office jurdiction and take it up further.

But one thing if the relationship is constrained there are chances of they share negative feedback to future employer. So handle the issue diplomatically and look for amicable solution.

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.