Olarinde Obajuluwa

You are covered by the law to fire nevertheless, check the employment letter to see if you put the clause on termination of appointment either way.
You want to fire within two months of employment? I will suggest that you analyse all issues surrounding the employee. Recruitment, placement, job location. Are all these done? What about fact finding about the reason why employee's performance is poor? Roll up your sleeves and get down to action. It cost more to recruit than to fire. Emplore all means possible to get the employee up and running before firing, warnings are not enough.

From Nigeria
Appiah
hi team members,
I agree with Sajid Ansari point of giving the person at least 3 months to complete the probation period, which I think is the ideal.
But there are instances where a person can profess and convience the interviewers that s/he is the best and an master of all situation but when it comes to actual work they seems to be wanting.
But upon warnings and advises if the person is still falling short of the mark, I think the person should allow to continue to stay but rather his or her appointment should be termination.

From Ghana, Accra
deepaknaik
Hi Vaani,
In my view an employee should be given some time to understand the work situation, you should observe him at work, if he is not performing well, judge him & get the reasons. Instead you can give him a small warning & give him time to cope up the situation & understand his job responsibilities seriously. Apart from that observe his behaviour with other collegues as well as seniors. After that you can judge him & go ahead with your job, if he is still non satisfactory.
Regards,
Deepak Naik,

From India, Mumbai
mak007hr

Dear Mr. Vani Sreenath,
Issue him warning letter mentioning that your performance is not satisfactory and if not improved with in one month, your service may be terminated. I think, after this he would perform as per company requirement.
Termination of a probationer is not a legal issue. A probationer can be terminated at any point of time during the probation period or extended probation period with out giving any notice if the same has been written in the appointment letter.
Successful completion of probation period is always the subject of satisfactory performance.
So if you think he can not uplift his performance even after warning. then you can terminate his services with out any notice with the reason that your performance is not satisfactory.
Thanks
Mohd. Arif Khan

sharma nk

we can terminate an employee after completion of probation of 3 months under the provision non renewal of contract of appointment. if there is clause of notice period in the appointment letter before completion it has to be complied. sharma nk
From India, Chandigarh
kraos_1954@yahoo.co.in

Hi Vani,

I feel that the probation period ie 3 months is very less, for better results it should be 6 months and you should structure a monthly review where the immediate supervisor, HOD and HR are the evaluators. Month on month basis you should discuss, record and obtain the signatures of all the concerned and brief the employee about his performance, give him time and opportunity, record his comments and obtain his signature as acceptance so that after completion of 5 months you all including the employee must be in a position to understand the performance levels, if the employee's performance can not be improved then issue the termination notice and close, there is some improvement compare to last 3 months then extend the probation period for a maximum of 3 months and continue the evaluation process, after completion of 8 months evaluate and decide.

The termination / extension letter should reach the employee one week in advance to the completion of probation / extended probation period.

This process will be very transperant, not based on wins and fans of superior / HOD, no process failures as you are obtaining the signature of the employee, if the employee is not performing after 3 months then you find out and even if he wants to work in an other area shift him and observe him.

Why all these things because you ie., immediate superior, HOD & HR part of the recruitment and you people only felt that the candidate is good and hired him and after 3 months if all you feel that he is not working then there is something wrong in the recruitment process and some times you have not given opportunity for him to understand and perform hence better 6 months probation.

Regards - kameswarao

From India, Hyderabad
drdionivil
Dear vanishreenat, Res ipsa loquitor...... the probation letter speaks by itself. Best regards. Dr. Dionicio D. Viloria, SPHR
From Oman
ratika khanna
hi, according to me in this competitive world, one gets a chance and that should be properly utilised . today's scenario says no one is waiting for you to come and join . "it is u who want ". there may be a second chance but not third."
so 1 should utilise it as earlier as it comes, and as a part of HR the person should find out actually why the candidate is not performing well by giving him a chance to share the grievances or wat ever may be his problems as 2 why he is nt able to give his 100%.
THANKS
RATIKA

From India, Gurgaon
Raj Kumar Hansdah

Yes Dada, you are right !! :-D
Dear Vani, in pvt. sector, you can get away with anything - even murder.
Go Ahead - MAKE YOUR DAY !!! :-P
Regards. :icon1:
--------------------------
Legal Disclaimer : No responsibility whatsoever...... (mail me for the full text)

From India, Delhi
Thirugnanakumar

Hi Vanisrinath,
You can do termination of employment with you, as the guy is under performance period. Pls check out the clause of termination in the letter of appoitment. If you do not mention any spl clause, you need not worry about his termination. Such termination is not at all a legal one. Moreover his employment with you is very short duration and he can not claim anything as a matter of right.
Before termination you should keep a record of his mis behaviour or so to value your termination. Anything before termination, a kind of memo should be given which is evident for his misbehaviour.
warm wishes,
T.Kumar

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.