No Tags Found!

Ash Mathew

Thre is no harm in asking. It is a relevant question.

Ravi, no one said (even Arti) that parents education matter in selection!

Why do you hyper imagine others views?

This question helps one understand the learning path, how the person excelled in his field, family support he has, etc. for example in my first company (an ITES) company they always asked this question to see what kind of family support we will have so that the night shifts will not become a problem for them - they usually advise / give information abt all the problems that a married person will face - and orients him well abt things.

for bachelors / spinsters - father and mother are sometimes oriented in the LIFE we go thru in a night shift career. because our continuity with them matters!

Pls note - this question is not for deciding on the hiring part (Ravi this goes to you, because I dont want you to coming back and saying "how can you select/reject a person based on family background" - NO ONE IS DOING THIS HERE)

Remember - interviews also help employers understand the employees background / needs / family pressure / monetary pressure - and also behave in a manner so that we can make sure, from our side we can do everything to make things better in our employees life!

From India, Madras
shabz

Hi Gunjan,
I agree with Ravi personal details is absoultely irrelevant to the candidates performance on the job. What about a person who has taken a pain to get higher education and just because of the limited education of his family YOU REJECT HIM OR HER. it is really unfair.
The interviewer should ask only technical question and finding out the details of the background is important but it should definately be a PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND rather than PERSONAL. After all you are intrested in his professional life not in personal.
Even in abroad asking a personal question to the interviewee is prohibited.

From India, Mumbai
darshak mehta

Dear Gunjan I think so its imp up to some extent as the stability of person or for what purpose he joins the co. R Darshak Mehta
From India, Mumbai
K.Ravi

Dear Asha,
Dont think I am just blabbering something,, whenever I write I think 100 times before writing, and an intelligent person will immediately understand the meaning of words written by arti, and others. Just go through the bold words of arti and make me understand its meaning..... and then might be you will realize why I have posted like this,,
also one point which many people face, not necesaarily all people are proud of their families (refer artis point), a purely personal scenario, but that does not mean that the person is useless worker, for eg, if a mother does not at all give food to her son, and her son is eating out from past 15 days, his mom does not care for her, then in an interview when asked about his family he will not be proud of his mother,, so does that mean that the boy in question is useless and unfit,, ????

From India, Pune
Ash Mathew

That is why I said - Read before you comment.

I have clearly mentioned that this question will not lead to the decision making part.!

And revealing this info is not what the interviewer expects.

Why should we not ask the family background in such situations ??

a) - Girl (age 23) hired for a supervisor role (in quality). We made the mistake of not askign about her family background - (I mean we did not probe more). She said she was married (we did not ask about her husband). After five days we received a compliant by her father who stated that we have forced one girl to work with us, and never let her home. It was the same girl - when we enquired, she burst out crying that her father is a drunkard and she has no choice but stay away from him. She was worried if we would not hire her because of this.

Now we make sure that in no ways she is disturbed by her dad. More probing helped us understand that her mother was being tortured by him, and also beaten up. We finally decided to also accomodate her mother along with her. We made extra provisions for her, and also assigned her a job within the unit itself, so that she can earn a decent salary - and also stay away from those bad thoughts. They are both happy, and now busy with "actually finding a guy"for her.

I am not saying that she should have revealed all this during interview / or that based on this we would have decided whether we should hire her. This only helps in the long run.

And we have a ritual - where every members family people are asked to meet us - like a get-to-gether. We make sure even by accident we dont ask her abt her father - becase we know that she would not like to hear abt that.

So - asking such questions is to know what kind of life one is facing - only beacuse, we as employers should not make life miserable for such people.

From India, Madras
kraos_1954@yahoo.co.in

Dear Mr. Ravi,

Sorry I may be wrong in your perception but one thing I want to tell you is we are discussing on one process which we all are practicing day in day out and we (in general if you are not a very very special person) all are learners till our death and it may not be sufficient of one life time to become masters in all aspects. Unable to understand why you are so emotional and very harsh in your approach, with out having a personal interaction with you and in one instance I made up my mind that you are bit emotional and talking with a candidate for 15 mints on one to one or one among the group we may understand his basic behavior and if he is not comfortable in disclosing his real background and once we do the background check we will come to know he is not disclosing the facts and then we can take a call.

One point is that when you are talking to a person on a known data you can understand his body language. You can not bounce on the candidate immediately as he enters in to the interview chamber with questions on technical front. Very few are comfortable infornt of a team and that too unknown people hence some general points are needed to initiate the discussion.

Thanks and regards - kameswarao

From India, Hyderabad
K.Ravi

Bold 1 == Psycology eh eh eh
Bold 2 = = can u explain meaning of take a call and other things,
Bold 3 == who asked u to bounce cant u ask technical questions slowly, and dear what do you think the candidate is there in ur room for, , obviously getting the job, so he must be prepared for technical questions right,
isnt it all common sense ;);)

From India, Pune
srinivas nednurkar

Good Answer by Arti.. I always expect the same thing which aarti has told..
personal details is absoultely irrelevant to the candidates performance on the job!!!!
How can be irrelevant attitude also matter while giving interview..
Regards
Srinivas nednurkar

From India, Hyderabad
Shikha_Singh

Interesting discussion........
Im not an HR, but speaking from a candidates perspective, I think it is fine if such questions are asked for the sake of comfort...but there must be no conclusions drawn on it.
Let me narrate an experience...
I was married only for a month and was looking for a job. In a big MNC, in my 3rd round of interview, the interviewer asked me "tell me about ur parents"...and I told him...
Then he asked me, which parents u r talking about? I was confused! The he told me that since u r married, u must talk about ur in-laws first and only then ur own parents!
I apologised and explained that im so recently married that out of habit, I spoke about my own parents. Anyway, i realised at that instance that the guy is a chauvanist.
I was informed that I wasnt fitting their criteria!

From India, Mumbai
Pushparaj.Samrat
Hi all,
This seems to be really the nice discussion and thanks to ravi for his confront discussion which has made the thread meaningfull. But unfortunately my views are against ravi.
I am bit sure that the questions on family background plays role in personal interview. Ofcourse the technical, GD would have screened the candidate's communication and technical skills. Personal Interview need to know about the candidate and his behaviour. And behaviour is solely reflects from a candidate's background (family, friends, relatives & neighbours etc...).
We can have many examples for this in a psychological, medical ways. But that might take us out of the context and in adddition i am not a professional in this to quote exactly. On the whole it is apt to question abt the family in the personal interview, but that must not have any negative impact as our previous friend's experience in interview.
Regards
Samrat.

From India, Madras
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.