innovation_i

Hello! To learn any language effectively, you just need to do the following four things:

1. Listen

2. Speak

3. Read

4. Write

also called the 'LSRW' concept.

You must continuously hear the language you wish to learn/improve. For this, you must move with and surround yourself with people who speak this language very well. You should always hear the sound of this language and the correct pronunciations.

Eg. Listen to English news channels such as CNN, NDTV, and IBN, and watch how they pronounce the words, how they construct their sentences, the intonations they use as they speak, etc. When you come across a new word, jot it down, look up the dictionary (helps if you can carry a good pocket dictionary with you always.), and next time round, use the word in your conversation with others.

As you hear, you must cultivate the habit of speaking the language, the right way, with the right pronunciations. This can happen effectively only if you listen to the language from people whos speak it very well.

Pick the habit of reading good newspapers and magazines TOI and India Today, and read them ALOUD, not to yourself.

Next, practice and perfect your skill by writing as much as you can forming your own sentences with the words you just learnt.

Remember there is no short route to developing language skills except this...

To help you kick start your initiative, you may use the English language facilities in your city in some reputed colleges/universities or the British library or US/UK consulates.

Best Wishes in your pursuit...

Vijay

From India, Madras
deepak_chinto
hi pooja :) ,
If you are already good in basic english gramatical usage and now want to improve your fluency then i suggest listenting english programs on tv, people around you, news, noticing them carefuly and using same can be a helpful tip for you. you can talk to urself or to any of your friend who is good in english and can corrret you. besides this, always carry an english to eng dictionary along with you. also try to learn from your friend or any other source, how and where to use the word, meaning of which have just looked up.
and the most important advice- Be patient,things wil take time to change, people have improved english including me as a second language...so,dont get frustrated anytime
best of luck!! :wink:
being in english speaking environment i also need to improve my fluency
i would be very happy if you can contact me so we both can improve our english...
my email add-

hazaidi

Dear All,
I would like to appreciate the efforts by all contributors. I would like to clear one more thing by an example.
1. Listen,, Take an example of new born baby. Initially he can only able to listen things. (Intense listening required, news channels and english rap songs with lyrics in your hand)
2. Speak,, After listening baby is able to speak few words taught by mother or father or other family members. (Speak english infront of the mirror, it shows you how good you are looking)
3. Read,, As he/she able to speak properly, then reading is easier for them. (read your best local english news paper)
4. Write,, Finally they can write. (Ask your friend or any family member to give a random topic to you, and you have to write on this topic. make it a for few days.)
To summarize all, don't feel shy when you want to learn english. Treat yourself as a infant. But let me tell you one thing, your day will definitely come.
Regards,
HASSAN

From Pakistan, Islamabad
Dhyaan
Hi Pooja,

For starters you must believe and wish to speak fluent English...and you must have wished hard enough for it to come true. Once you wish for it doors will open up to help the wishing fairy fulfill your wish.

To answer your query, you could:

1) Join an English speaking course

2) Start continuously constantly and consistently talking in English to all and everyone around you

3) Buy a dictionary to read and understand a new word every day/week and ensure that you use that new word at-least thrice daily whenever possible. You could even talk to yourself in the mirror should the word be one that cannot be used in regular day to day conversation at home or at work. The dictionary also comes in handy should you not understand particular words you may come across during the course of your self-training ;-)

4) Read English material that you like e.g. newspapers, magazines, websites, technical material etc.

5) Watch as many english movies as possible. Avoid English subtitled or dubbed movies as they may present an incorrect picture of the dialogue

6) Attend free seminars of people talking in English even if they are of no interest for you, just so that you may understand the language and the ways that it is spoken.

These are personal tips and not a guaranteed methodology though I am sure if you do follow it you should be able to achieve fluency in English as desired...but discipline and determination to achieve despite all odds are the main ingredients to success !!!

Have fun.

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.