tajsateesh

Just wanted to add one more thing to what I just posted Kank.
There's NO field that's 100% GOOD OR 100% BAD. Every field has it's pros & cons. If you want to enter into a particular field [in your case HR], you have to be ready to take the plus as well as the minuses. You can't say I want only the good and not the bad.
Just take the case of the IT guys all over. Till about 10 yrs ago, Heart Attacks, Strees-related diseases, etc were supposed to be the way for the ages of 45/50+ people. If you care to look into the recent medical news, now it's 25+. One can go on like this.
Rgds,
TS

From India, Hyderabad
Priya_l

Hi,
Even I am struggling hard to start my career as HR professional. Even after completing MBA and having the belief that I can actually be a very good HR, I am unable to find even a single job in HR, through campus of off-campus, and anybody you try to contact puts blame on recession. Does recession means that we freshers have to change our career choices? plz seniors guide us....
thanks
Priya

From India, Hyderabad
chum

Priya & Pragya,
I do understand ur problems, yeah I had the same sort of problem in my initial stage. U ppl have set ur mind to accept the practical senario, but hav the determination to not change the field. To start with, get in to some HR consultancies, whr u get less pay but good amount of exposure in recruitment, be thr n start hunting for corporate jobs, sure u ppl vl b gettin. So, get in to consultancy, sure, u vl feel the gud hold in career. Keep rockin......post me if u hav any more queries.

From India, Mangaluru
Ash Mathew

Dear Priya,

That question was straight from ur heart "Does recession mean that we freshers have to change our career choices?"
I'd say - "NO" - but advance from here.

Its not just HR freshers who are facing the problem. Freshers in all fields are feeling this. A few lucky are hired - but at a lower pay scale. Reason: "Recession"!!

Please use this time to advance urself. You can always search for a job, but time lost can never be gained back. Invest this time in pursuing other educational courses that would benefit you professionally and personally.

A friend of mine - lost her HR job with a good company a year back due to internal politics. After that, when recession hit things got worse..she could not find a great job and later got into a "Not so reputed" company as an HR with a lower salary as pay. She had a lot of free time (even while searching and even after receiving the offer) - and was obviously "Irritated and frustrated". It was a long time passion for her to take up an interior decoration course, and she managed to apply for one - as she culd dedicate gud amt of time and "MIND" into the course.

Today she provides consulting services to her relatives and family friends - and has been referred to many other ppl too. She does a great job. She made use of this recession and starting branding herself as "a known person for providing cost effective services". Her work is really good, as she loves it and does it for her peace of mind. She has got no time to spare nowadays and - even if she has two hours left - she makes use of it by reading or doing something - to make her feel gppd, and alos benefit from it.

DO u see how the difficulty can be turned to an oppportunity? She had a lot of negative feelings within her, and instead of continuing to be depressed - she turned all that feelings into her work and started showing results - started being positive.

I have a lot to learn from her. I have a job today - but nt sure if this would be the same tomorrow - not just recession would be the reason. Becos - now ppl are tryign to keep only services that are value adding. So, I am trying to improve my skills in fields I can advance.

I hope u understood wat I am trying to say "make use of this time!! never give up!"
Yes - u will have ppl telling that u r going no where and u will land up with no job. If that was their experience - it does not mean thats going to be ur experience. Dont make others failures as ur failure!

Good Luck!

From India, Madras
mukunthan. HR
Priya and praga,
Me too started my carrer in a consultancy as a HR recruiter as early mentioned by CHUM where my CTC is below 60,000rs per annum and started hunting for corporate HR from there.Exactly within two months i got a job in IT-Software as a general HR.so if you have a real desire to become an HR than money my kind opinion is dont focus on money in the initial stage of your carrer.Hope you will get a job soon.
ALL THE BEST.
Regards,
MUkunthan

From India, Madras
simplyveen
Asha has made it very clear for Kank and for many who are thinking twice to get into a career.....

Just wanted to ask kank one thing... if your fiancée would have been in finance domain and earning a lot.. Would you also pursue the same career... no right so similarly it’s not about the best area where u want to choose to make ur career but it’s about how u become expert in the area you are passionate about....

For e.g.: when u r talking about the recession.. our company had huge layoffs u won’t believe, it went to around 50% layoffs but at same time we hired HRs for building strategy for stabilizing the human capital....this is just to tell you that we cannot conclude on one issue of ur fiancée on whole HR domain.

See the idea of being in a dilemma itself somewhere shows that you are not passionate about HR but u r bothered about job which is practical.. and you want to opt for a career where there are ready made jobs... mind you that would be blunder, what if you opt for a domain and u cannot give your best in that??

In this toughest times only the one thing is sure "Survival of the fittest" only the best never has a problem.. I really believe it till now that, if you have talent and skills to perform I am sure you will end up with job.

Everyone can do an HR course but everyone cannot be a HR professional.

Cheers!! :neutral:

From India, Hyderabad
Shubhada_Kale

Dear Asha,
You are doing very good job. Since yesterday, I was reading your responses to 2-3 posts. Really Well done..... Keep it up.
That's Why, I like this site very much. For any problem or query regarding HR profession, not only you will get solutions but always you will get an insight of the problem.
Thanks to all who have done contribution so far.
Best Regards,
Shubhada

From India, Pune
pathrudu

Dear Kanak What ever you study,it all depend on you how u look in to ,HR is really worth once u put your heart and soul in it, pl take it as challange Patrudu
From India, Hyderabad
pip

Hi Kank
The pre-requisite for any HR peron is...passion for people!Introspect whether you have or not.If you have not...forget this profession.If you have....you are in for one of the noblest professions on earth!No other function touches people like the way HR does.For giving the most crucial wakeful time of ther life to an organization,the least they can expect is..joy of working & contributing to growth.The ambience/climate to bring in those smiles can only be created/ushered in by the HR Fraternity!One unfortunate isolated event(s) should not be generalised.So cheer up!Join the HR family with a smile!!
pip

From India, Hyderabad
vanitavirmani
Hi
I'm also looking out for a job in HR, Gurgaon. I've 3yrs of exp., because of recession i had to leave my job 3months back and still i'm struggling for my career. Can u pls help me? or can u guide me in my career?
Thanks
Vanita

From India, Gurgaon
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.