View Poll Results: Who will held responsible for Attrition
Employee 49 9.35%
Boss 202 38.55%
Compensation & Job Profile 273 52.10%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

raajz_johnny

Dear Lavanya
Greetings!
The FLSA applies to "any individual employed by an employer" but not to independent contractors or volunteers because they are not considered "employees" under the FLSA.[7] Still, an employer cannot simply exempt workers from the FLSA by calling them independent contractors, and many employers have illegally misclassified their workers as independent contractors.
Rgds,
John N

From India, Madras
lavanya_april

Hi John, Thanks for enlightening me on it. :) My Question is what is job hopping? And what strategies companies use to deal with it? :?: Regards, Lavanya
From India, Madras
preetk

HI Guys,
I was not able to get the cite hr website. It always give the technical error. Even I thought of sending some comments on FLSA. Anyways no probs. Good Lavanya for your answer and further question.
Good going John and Lavanya.
Hi others, Seema, Sandeep, What happend. Now a day you guys are not participating in this. Come on yaar do participate.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
Sameeroflko

Dear All,

I have just seen the question & answer of John. I am supplementing the answer with couple of facts. First, FLSA is not an Indian Law, it is US law.

"The Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938 (FLSA, ch. 676, 52 Stat. 1060, June 25, 1938, 29 U.S.C. ch.8) is United States federal law that applies to employees engaged in interstate commerce or employed by an enterprise engaged in commerce or in the production of goods for commerce[1], unless the employer can claim an exemption from coverage. The FLSA established a national minimum wage,[2] guaranteed time and a half for overtime in certain jobs,[3] and prohibited most employment of minors in "oppressive child labor," a term defined in the statute.[4]"

Second, Jury service too is applicable in US not in India. It is not linked to industry, but to nation.

"Jury service is a public duty. Unless someone is disqualified, has the right to be excused or has a valid reason for discretionary excusal then they must serve.

"All Jurors are selected at random by computer from the electoral register. Everyone on the electoral register from the ages of 18 to 70 may be selected even if they are not eligible to serve on a Jury. Some people never get called, others get called more than once."

Third, Following are the legislation acts in India in respect of compensation/ wages/ retirement benefit/ other financial benefits to industrial worker.

Minimum Wages Act, 1948

Workmen's Compensation Act, 1923

Maternity Benefit Act, 1961

Payment of Bonus Act, 1965

Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972

Employer's Provident Funds & Misc. Provisions Act 1952

Regarding Components of compensation system depends on many parameters, John answer is too theoretical. He has described the basis of deciding compensation not the components of compensation. Components might be taken considering two major factors:

1. Statutory Payments (such as PF, Gratuity, bonus etc.)

2. Internal Policy (Basic Salary, Special Allownaces, LTA, etc.)

Compensation strategy in all orgainsation usually decided considering following:

- One for Management Cadre employees & other for Unionised cadre or workmen.

- flexi or static compensation

- Internal Batch Parity or market Trend

- It should be designed to get maximum relief from income tax.

Regards,

From India, Calcutta
preetk

Hi John,
The same thing which Sameer has mentioned, I thought to share with you guys. Due to problem with the site, I was not able to post it. Actually as Sameer and Lavanya told, the FLSA is US law and not applicable in India. If you are talking about the similar law in India, I think the Industrial Disputes Act 1947 is most appropriate act, which talks about unfair labour practice.
Anyways, Sameer thanks for your contribution. It is good that you have shared very good info.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
raajz_johnny

Dear Sameer: Greetings! Good appendage from urside. I too aware FLSA is applicable for US. The question is for knowldge sharing, thats y i asked the question. Rgds, John N
From India, Madras
Sameeroflko

Dear All,

Peer has given the answer. I am just sending an article on it.

It's yet another day at office. As I logged on to the marketing and advertising sites for the latest updates, as usual, I found the headlines dominated by 'who's moving from one company to another after a short stint', and I wondered, why are so many people leaving one job for another? Is it past now to work with just one company for a sufficiently long period?

Whenever I ask this question to people who leave a company, the answers I get are: "Oh, I am getting a 200% hike in salary"; "Well, I am jumping three levels in my designation"; "Well, they are going to send me abroad in six months".

Then, I look around at all the people who are considered successful today and who have reached the top - be it a media agency, an advertising agency or a company. I find that most of these people are the ones who have stuck to the company, ground their heels and worked their way to the top.

And, as I look around for people who changed their jobs constantly, I find they have stagnated at some level, in obscurity!

In this absolutely ruthless, dynamic and competitive environment, there are still no short cuts to success or to making money. The only thing that continues to pay, as earlier, is loyalty and hard work. Yes, it pays! Sometimes, immediately, sometimes after a lot of time. But, it does pay.

Does this mean that one should stick to an organization and wait for that golden moment? Of course not. After a long stint, there always comes a time for moving in most organizations, but it is important to move for the

right reasons, rather than superficial ones, like money, designation or an overseas trip. Remember, no company recruits for charity.

More often than not, when you are offered an unseemly hike in salary or designation that is disproportionate to what that company offers it current employees, there is always unseen bait attached.

The result? You will, in the long-term, have reached exactly the same levels or maybe lower levels than what you would have in your current company.

A lot of people leave an organization because they are "unhappy". What is this so-called-unhappiness? I have been working for donkey's years and there has never been a day when I am not unhappy about something in my work environment-boss, rude colleague, fussy clients etc.

Unhappiness in a workplace, to a large extent, is transient. If you look hard enough, there is always something to be unhappy about. But, more importantly, do I come to work to be "happy" in the truest sense? If I think hard, the answer is "No". Happiness is something you find with family, friends, may be a close circle of colleagues who have become friends.

What you come to work for is to earn, build a reputation, satisfy your ambitions, be appreciated for your work ethics, face challenges and get the job done.

So, the next time you are tempted to move, ask yourself why are you moving and what are you moving into?

Some questions are:

Am I ready and capable of handling the new responsibility? If yes, what could be the possible reasons my current company has not offered me the same responsibility?

Who are the people who currently handle this responsibility in the current and new company? Am I as good as the best among them?

As the new job offer has a different profile, why have I not given the current company the option to offer me this profile?

Why is the new company offering me the job? Do they want me for my skills, or is there an ulterior motive?

An honest answer to these will eventually decide where you go in your career- to the top of the pile in the long term(at the cost of short-term blips) or to become another average employee who gets lost with time in the wilderness?

From India, Calcutta
lavanya_april

Hi Sameer,
I got some info on the topic.
Quality circles are a work group of 8 or 10 employees and supervisors, who have a shared area of responsibility and who meet regularly typically once a week, on company time and on company premises to discuss their qulaity problems, investigate causes of the problems, recommend solutions and take corrective actions.
They take over the responsibility for solving quality problems, and they generate and evalutate their own feedback but management retains control over the final decisions regarding implementation of recommended solutions.
The quality circles also include teaching the participants about group communication skills, various quality strategies and measurement and problem analysis techniques.
The important drawback is the very litte time they spend to discuss issues. They spend approximately 1 hr a day or so only.
Regards,
Lavanya

From India, Madras
preetk

Hi Sameer, It is great to know your active participation. Good question. Lavanya, I think you are too actively participating in answering the question. Good Keep it up. Preet
From India, Bangalore
Sameeroflko

Dear Lavanya,
Good try. But, it requires little more clarity on prevailing misconceptions related to QC.
- The job may not be shared, it should be a similar type of job (assumption is that similar type of job will have similar problems)
- The worker's participation remains voluntary.
- workers meet to discuss problems faced by them in doing their job, not to discuss the quality related issues of product.
- They don't give their feedback, they provide the solution of the problem, not only as a suggestion, but also implementation of the same as pilot project with tangible & intangible benefits.
- Management should not have control on implementation of pilot project, rather it should be responsible (this is the area related to management control) to standardize & institutionalize across the company on the basis of tangible/ intangible benefits.
- Ideal time is 1hr. per week.

From India, Calcutta
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.