Anonymous
I am working as an HR in the food industry where is located at Andhra Pradesh. In our company there are two types of employees one is factory employees, another one is field employees. For factory employees, we have following a regular leave policy without any disturbance. The main problem is the field employees. They are working in filed by morning 6:00 am to evening 9 or 10 pm depending on their work. They did not take any leaves, they worked on Sundays, festival holidays, national holidays also. The main season is OCTOBER to APRIL. After that, they will not much more work pressure.
So my management asking me to prepare a separate leave policy for field employees. I'm in confusion, I request to seniors to give their valuable inputs in this situation. General leave policy we followed in our factory is CL 12, SL 12, EL based on their attendance. How to apply this policy to field employees. Please give suggestions.

From India, Tenali
loginmiraclelogistics

Dear friend,
You are on a noble cause to take care of agricultural labourers. May God bless. It appears though they are all working in a field duty taking care of seasonal requirements (in your orchards I presume) they are borne on your regular muster roll as regular employees. I also presume they are covered under the respective acts/rules w.r.t. EPF, Maternity Benefits, ESI, Bonus, Gratuity, Minimum wages etc. It's difficult to comprehend/apply one set of personnel rules for one group and different rules for another group/set of the same co. for the simple reason that their work conditions are different (based on duty timings) etc. I do recognise the need to deploy the farm workers during wee hours and all holidays & rest days without break. And I couldn't advocate lesser benefits compared to their counterparts back in towns & cities, on the contrary they deserve liberal and preferential benefits in every aspects for the sacrifices they make in fields. I'm pained to see what injustice meted out to farm labourers (collar less) in our country compared to so called white/blue/grey collared executives. Why they should be treated as inferior to urbanites?. I therefore suggest same set of rules, with due extra remueration for holiday, rest day & OT work which will form part of your leave policy also.
Recently the GoI codified all labour related acts/rules compressing into fewer codes/act which is indicated in the appended link. You may take some clue from this as well to form your opinion to deal the matter. There are a few acts which applies to estates like tea, coffee & other plantation business which also can be consulted.
https://labour.gov.in/sites/default/...0Welfare_0.pdf
Quote -
" In line with the recommendations of the 2nd National Commission on Labour, Ministry of Labour & Employment has taken steps for simplification, amalgamation and rationalization of Central Labour Laws and replacing them with 4 Labour Codes viz. Code on Wages, Code on Industrial Relations, Code on Social Security & Welfare, and Code on Occupational Safety, Health & Working Conditions. Out of these,
first two i.e. Code on Wages and Code on Industrial Relations were earlier drafted and put on the Website of the Ministry of Labour & Employment inviting comments of the stakeholders/public. Both these Codes are under consideration of the Government at present.
2. Ministry has since prepared a Preliminary draft of the Code on Social Security & Welfare by
amalgamating all existing Labour Laws related to Social Security (total 15 Labour Laws including EPF Act, ESI Act, Maternity Benefit Act, Payment of Gratuity Act, Employees Compensation Act, Unorganised Social Security Act, and various Welfare Cess /Fund Acts). The draft of the Code on Social Security & Welfare is attached.

From India, Bangalore
hr-optimusenviro
I am working as an HR in the water & waste water industry. In our company there are two types of employees one is factory/office employees, another one is field employees (on project site). For factory/office employees, we have following a regular leave policy without any disturbance. The main problem is with the field employees leave policy. They are working in filed full day and full week. They did not take any leaves, they worked on Sundays, festival holidays, national holidays also.
So my management asking me to prepare a separate leave policy for field employees (on site employee). I'm in confusion, I request to seniors to give their valuable inputs in this situation. General leave policy we followed in our factory/office is CL 06, SL 06, EL 15. How to apply this policy to field employees. Please give suggestions.

From India, Ludhiana
loginmiraclelogistics

Presuming that both the categories are borne on the permanent roll of your co., Permit me to say this, Your thinking that you should have two sets of categories only for the simple reason that the other category are employed in field duty is, in my opinion, is "unfair labour practice" trying to discriminate on the basis of place of work, despite the fact they work for a long/extended duty hours and they are denied holidays & leave. I strongly feel you should extend the very same leave policy and pay holiday wages & OT for the extended working hours as they are also your regular employees. Even if you consider them as contract labour, there cannot be a leave policy which is inconsistent with the Acts.
From India, Bangalore
loginmiraclelogistics

Your Labour Policies will have to depend on what kind registration the unit has. If it's factory, then Factories Act will apply like that. If you have different kind of duty hours (split duty i.e.commencing in early morning then long gap then resume like that) it appears to me Duty hours and Leave policy as being applied to Farm/Forest/ Plantations Labourers may be akin for adoption. Here I attach a copy of the Plantation Labours Act which may be helpful to have some idea. Also policies for farm labourers engaged in fields of Orchards, agricultural universities, forest & agricultural depts. (horticultural & fruits & vegetable fields) can be used for drafting policies for your requirement.
From India, Bangalore
loginmiraclelogistics

Sorry, I missed the attachment. Here it’s pl.
From India, Bangalore
Attached Files (Download Requires Membership)
File Type: pdf Plantation Act 1951.pdf (3.88 MB, 251 views)

Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.