Raj Kumar Hansdah

Dear Kavita

People generally pronounce a word of their own language correctly; however may have difficulty if it comes from another language or dialect; as our member jitenra_patil has correctly given an idea about the origin of Indian languages.

This is the reason that in Voice-based BPOs the emphasis is on pronounciation as a "Native" - whether an American, British or Australian process.

You must note that many languages lack certain sounds - so a similar sounding alternative is used. In fact many language do not have the SYMBOLS to represent certain sound.

Kavita is a Hindi word, and thus well represented/written in Hindi language.

However the Ta sound does not have an equivalent in English or many other languages.

Certain languages have very harsh/hard sounds such as Russian or German - as you must have noticed in Hollywood movies where actors try hard to appear Russian or German by over-emphasizing the harsher sounds.

In contrast, Japanese sounds are very soft - "velly" soft.

Chinese/Mandarin language have a pronounced nasal twang - you must have noticed this in Chinese Kung-fu movies.

I was amazed to know, while learning Russian language, that it has no H sound !! Instead they use the X alphabet - Kha. So, Harish would be pronounced as KHarish !!

To conclude, it is good to be aware of such things, as HRs are supposed to be very CULTURE-SENSITIVE, especially now that business has no borders.

Keep learning !!!

From India, Delhi
hellokavita.365

Sir, once more I have gone through your post........and the example u have given regarding pronunciation/ accent in china, japan etc. is really convincing.....
From India, Kala Amb
gupta vikash
Dear All,
I have one experience regarding the same pronunciation, I have done my PG from TN and my teachers use to pronounce Pharmaceutics as PharmaCHeutics and my Surname instead Gupta as GuptHa it sounds different, but some time my friends use to say making fun of it, that now i am past tense that why Gupt - Tha (Gupta now no more). In India their is lots of diversity in the language pronunciation and by the same we are known that whether we belong to UP, MP, Bihar, South India or any rural area.
Regards,
Vikash Gupta

hellokavita.365

thats wat happens with my name..it becomes kavi-tha from kavita... ek kavi tha.. once there was a poet..........:D
From India, Kala Amb
Suresh_k_7

Dear friend, try reading the word "The".
Do you pronounce it "T"? Nay, isn't it.
So, going by the same logic, will you please try and justify your argument of the spelling in South India. "Kavita" should have been "Kavitha"

From India, Mumbai
BOOPY

Very good disscussion ????????. It is very useful to all HR persons !!!!!!!!!!!! ??? Shakespiere has rightly said…. “Whats there in a Name.” Boops
From India, Coimbatore
AmreshMishra

Good One... This discussion has gone a bit too far but has taken a gud shape. I enjoyed everyone putting their bit and making it both knowledgeable and interesting.
To add to Shakespear's "What's in a name" tag...
It definitely means a lot espeacially to those who are misspelled / miss-pronounced with their names. And I am one of those. Most of the time people don't write /pronounce my name correctly as "Amresh". Instead they call me "Amrish". As in north India, people are used to pronounce simpler form (of names etc) such as "Rajinder" instead of "Rajendra", Satinder instead of "Satendra" and if go to Eastern Up and Bihar, you may find people calling /writing names as "Binod" instead of "Vinod" and "Basu" Instead of "Vasu". Also, "Paschim Vihar" of Delhi becomes "Pachhim Bihar" for them.
Nice Threat for everyone, especially, HRs.
--
Amresh Mishra

From India, Delhi
sivaipm

Dear All,
You may note that the difference is viewed by those speaking North Indian Languages. Every language has unique pronounciation and letters were made for the same.
In Tamil, there are four "Na" which are not in North Indian Languages.
In Hi you have "Ga', "Gha", "Ka", "Kha" where as in Tamil t here are only two. Ka or ga.
Most north indian languages were derived mainly from Sanskrit while South Indian languages were from Tamil. So you may not find such issues among all N.Indian languages or among all S.Indian languages. The issue comes only when we write the pronounciation of one N.India language in another S.Indian language. Such issues are noticed among different languages in the world and there is no uniqueness to Tamil.

From India, Mumbai
hellokavita.365

Dear Amresh, Thats what i wanted to know, whether it is just a region base mispronunciation / accent or there is something related to the regional languages and scripts.
From India, Kala Amb
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ฎ

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.