rameshbashyam@yahoo.com

performance in the job (since you are already in it) will mean more. only if you are a fresher will the degree help. once in a job performance only counts. if you can enhance it with degree from a premier institute, it adds weightage to your profile
From India, Madras
talkmumpa
I think a mix of all three is very important. Performance is a continuos requirement in work whether junior level or senior level. People in mid career strive for better opportunities-to achieve this not only degree/necessary qualification is required but also Passion. Passion may not be there initially-it is something which is driven by performance, curiosity to learn and know more and exactly at this point doing a professional course from a premiere institute will help to broaden perspective and the individual can implement skills also in his/ her organization accordingly.
From United States, Basking Ridge
udaya.devarakonda
Hi Anshul,
Passion is an Individual's trait. Passion will definitely get you many degrees.
Degree from Premier Institute on the other hand need not necessarily induce passion.
If one has to weigh both these, then a passionate person has a better chance of being Innovative, Initiative, self motivated, committed, loyal, and you can add as many...
All great scientists in the world are honored by these premier institutes with Doctorates just for their passion towards work, they are not famous coz they have graduated from premier institutes..
You can write a book on this..In the current scenario..to be really successful and to realy sit on top.. graduate from premier institute in your passionate area..theres no looking back..
But if you are already working, and if you really have passion towards wat you are doing then dont worry abt anything else.. you are already on the path of being successful..
Thanks,
Uday
IBM India

From India, Bangalore
Vasant Nair

A Degree or a PGDBM from a premier Business School and competence in one's area of work are a necessary combination to excel in one's chosen area of area of work. Both these are very necessary essentials for moving up the Corporate ladder.

However, I personally know of at least four very good examples of persons who reached the top without having any qualifications from any Business School.

1. He is a plain Graduate and joined a very reputed Computer manufacturing Co. as Steno. In about 15 years he became Vice President - Procurement.

2. He is a plain Graduate. Starting as an Officer in the Accounts Deptt. he has become VP- Coeporate Finance in a reputed Co.

3. He is a plain B. Com from Delhi Univerisity. Of cours ehe is also the "Maalik" of his Company. Nevertheles he is now the JMD & CEO of a leader in the interior infrastructure business.

In interactions with highly qualifies guys, he really demonstrates his competence and swareness of 5 PGDBMs from the most Premier Business Schools all rolled into one.

4. He is only an Engineer. Starting as a Supervisor he became the President of a Company in just about 12 years.

These are examples of people who have really worked hard, applied themselves and drove themselves to reah the Top.

They did not require any Qualifications from a Premier Business School to reach their goal.

What Ash has said is also quite true. I too happened to interiew some candidates from a reputed Business School near Delhi, for positions in HR.

I asked one of candidates what he understood by Standing Orders.

He just stood up erect and said "Yes Sir!!!"

Cheers!!!

Vasant Nair

From India, Mumbai
mr.ramdevrathi
What i have seen in Corporate scenarios is people will generally give more importance to experience of the candidate rather that his educational qualifications. So it could be better if one tries to gain experience rather than just adding degrees behind them

mksharma63

I think a combination of both.
If you have a degree from premium institute and no passion, your degree alone may not make you successful. Degree from premium institute doesn't mean that your knowledge levels are extra ordinary high.
However in life to succeed you need application of knowledge (whatever little you may have). This application is driven by attitude, passion...........
Many of bigger scientific discoveries were not made great knowledgeable persons, but by ordinary persons who were inquisitive and passionate about discovering a new idea and making it workable.
Recently I read in newspapers, even one of TATA's CEO said they donot give preference to IIT graduates from premium institutes as they lack creativity, team work when working in groups. Instead they prefer new recruits from ordinary institutes who are willing to walk extra mile and are self motivated to apply themselves .

From India, Delhi
mandey
Hi Everyone...this question is much relevant to me...as after my 14 years of service in both service and manufacturing industry in customer service, director's office assistant and PPC, I have recently changed my organisation and my profile too. Though I dont have professional qualification, still I have been approached by this organisation to join them in HR as Asst Mgr. This new company's director used to visit my previous office and only with my presentation skills, my working feedback in that organisation, they felt that I can do very well in hr. though, now I have decided to go for mba hr, but at the moment what I am and where I am is simply due to my passion and commitment for my work. So, I believe that only professional degree is not everything to get success in life. One should have basic intellect first and passion to go in-depth of every assignment they take in life...
mandeep

From India, Mumbai
ansgarg

Hello all,
Thank you so much for sharing your views. This situation has been troubling me for a pretty long time.
Its so nice that esteemed members of this forum has shared their thought with me.
Thank you once again.
Cheers,
Anshul

From India
akpk34
Hi i think exp. And passion of work is imp. Thn degree. Every employer have to earn money. Every deptt. Needs such type of guys. Thn why we have to hire a degree holder.
From India, New Delhi
bssekhar
Dear Anshul,
Though from which angle you had this doubt is still uncertain (from HR point of view or candidate point of view), passion or motivation ( one's natural liking to do something) can get a person almost everything in the job - Hard word, untiring industry, improving his talents, skills & competencies, etc etc, a degree from a premier institute can help a long way . Again, with an MBA from IIM-A without motivation or passion will not help.
Please find out how many CEOs in India are just graduates. I ve personally worked with couple of them who were just BA graduates. They never seemed to have any demerits because of lack of a great degree.
Thanks
B S Sekhar
Business Head
Mars Consultants
Coimbatore

From India, Coimbatore
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.