No Tags Found!

sumeetarora.india
If the question would have been "Is it OK with you to Travel outstation for work ?" instead of "drinking".
or
If the question would have been "Is it OK with you for Client visits, Sunday working and shifts on need basis?" instead of "drinking".
then you would have been less schoked. Isn't it!
But these questions would have schoked the interviewee during 1980s.
It's a clutural gap like the generation gap.
And you should thank the interviewer for being candid, else you would have landed in a big mess after joining the company.
Sumeet Singh Arora
Training & Development Manager
93250 10232

From India, Pune
sumikoul

Dear Komal,
I think instead of taking this emotionally you should also think of options to disallow these kind of situations. As asha has rightly said you can present your view of having a non-alcoholic drink & being a part of the party or client interaction(Of course if u are ok with it). This would have helped you in getting out of this situation & sometimes these are the tricks of recruiters to check how open are you to these kind of situations & how effectively you could handle it.
Regards
Sumiksha Koul

Pragya.Giri09
Dear Komal
I Really dont understand why everyone is making such a fuss about it.I in fact think that the company is at least honest in their approach by asking this question upfront.
MNC's having huge international client base would sometimes have to entertain their clients in this manner and become one of them which would help netwok better with clients.And I am sure it should be a generalized question and not just specific to a lady candidate.
It might be a cultural disfit for you since you do not drink, but for some lady who drinks i might not even matter.You should just know where to draw the line.
By the way drink does not always mean getting sloshed.We are all professionals and know what is reasonable/unreasonable and where the line should drawn.
Regards

From India, Pune
asthananitika
Look, No body can ever hold your hand and push you to drink or eat. Its your wish only. If you are there n holding a glass of wine in your hands and pretend to drink it. dats fine and will work. No body will check weather u r drinking or not.
From India, New Delhi
minal.pednekar
I totally agree to what Asha has commented. Infact the HR person never asked you whether you drink alchohol? as per whatyou have written. You should have aksed her to be specific. Regards, Minal
From India, Mumbai
velmurugaraj
mr.komal Some of the company the top level management asking these kind of Que in depth.... it is rediculess......... u are lucky sir...for not join that copmany.
From India
roydipti22

well as per my opinion this question has been asked just to check the attitude of the person.well sometimes it might happens that in big corporate parties your boss will tell you to drink and it depends on you how you handle the sitution.drinking is not compulsory for HR jobs.but handling situation and handling people is compulsory for HR job.
From India, Delhi
bokkasamsudhakar
When they asked do you drink, Why the hell you blink, You could have demanded grape, Which would have kept you in good shape
From India, Bangalore
itssavi
I agree with Ash and Alwar! In my previous company, we used to have friday meetings in pubs which also has a nice business like setting for this kind of meetings! one of my co-worker used to have just water throughout the meeting.
Its the way you interpret and deal with the situation and how you answer questions like this in an interview, differentiates you from rest of the candidates.
Savitha.

From United States, Woodinville
lalit m sharma

yes i agree with asha. why drink has become a taboo in present senario.? why most of us take this in bad sense. I am not in favour that HR person must be a hard drink taker,but he is able to move in the cocktail circle. In the Cocktail circle we are in a better position to understand others. you might not be able to judge a person in ten meetings but it is quite easy otherwise.
From India, Vijayawada
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.