namrata.hr

hi ravi
i totally disagree with the notion that hr profession can be handled by any person.
hr field is propoer professiona;l field where any hr executive should know detailed intigrities of hr field.
nowadays hr is very imp from strategic point of view.
u cant expect srategic hr decision to be taken by any layman related to hr field
i hope u got an idea of what i am trying to say
bye
regards
namrata

From India, Ahmadabad
Swati Mahajan
Hi Ravi,
Thanx for a very good point.Even i have this doubt but now i got good explaination. I felt along with degree the skills are also equally important. Skills to understand people is most essential task which u can develop withur experience.
Kind Regards
Swati

From India, Nasik
Pradeep Bajaj

Namrata,

More an HR person gets professional, more shall be his chances to be heard, and his views taken seriously.

For an HR person to be strategically useful to the Company, he needs to be well versed with the processes of the Company.

HR/ Personnel are still a developing fields in the fast changes that are occurring in the industry. we need to patiently watch the same.

Khalid,

I agree with you that there is much more to HR than recruitment. We also need to realise, the the HR Policies and culture in the Company come Top Down, along the Line Management, and not HR Executives/ Managers. HR Staff is there to recommend, advise, streamline, coord, and well, implement also.

There is a substantial manpower handling that is done by Line Managers. It is foregone conclusion that since the personnel are employed under the Line Managers, and that they are coming into day to day contact with them, there are certain HR matters, is actually that of the Line Manager. Some that I can recall are: -

1 Any finalisation of selection under a certain dept, should be finally recommended/ approved by the Dept Head.

2 Leave of the staff under the dept/ section is to be controlled by Dept head as per the leave policy laid down. HR person sees that the same is done as per the policies and processes laid down and maintain the record.

3 PMS is coordinated by HR Staff, nevertheless Appraisal Forms are filled and assessment of staff under them done by the Dept Heads/ Line Managers in the chain.

I guess there is a need to be clear about the parameters of the HR Field. The above matters are rather day to day matters, and follow up of the existing processes and policies.

The HR Field is certainly on higher/ strategic levels. To be of really useful at that level, there is a need to have higher thinking. HR Pers are responsible for HR Devp, Succession, Career Planning, HR Environment, Culture with the view to the Company's future objectives and visions. To this end HR person needs to be a visionary, a thinker, planner and action oriented person.

Things like Production and other processes and Training and Development are only the tools with HR Staff to achieve results in HR Field

Regards,

Pradeep Bajaj :roll:

From India, Delhi
Richa Upadhyay

Well i would say for a fresher to get into HR role of a good company you should have appropriate qualification, genuine interest in working with people, understanding them and should be a fast learner.
For people with experience in industry may get into HR role with interest towards HR and relevant skills.I have seen people at senior level moving from Marketing,operations etc into HR role.but having said that,it doesn't mean only skills can make you move towards HR,you will have to learn the technicalities of HR too.
To sum up, i will say "both appropriate qualification and skills are important".
At the beginning of the career-qualification is more important(as you will learn the skills)
at the senior level-skills are more important.(you have to understand and learn HR technicallities too)
Regards,
Richa

From Ireland, Limerick
Pradeepbajaj
Dear HR Friends,
If we were to summarise what I had written earlier and that there are not may contrary views, then we can state: -
1 HR advises and lays down the processes, while the others implement them.
2 HR thinks big, as the others are doing their day to day chores.
3 HR examines what the others do.
4 HR has the overall view, while the others are embroiled in their smaller parameter.
5 HR reviews what the others do/ implement.
6 HR knows much more nad clear on the overall picture, as the others go deeper and deeper into their fields.
7 HR are Generalists, in that they know some thing about everything, (apart from knowing a lot in their own field), as others know more and more about less and less
Is HR then in the position of the Leadership?
Your guess is as good as mine.
Regards,
Pradeep Bajaj

From India, Delhi
Pradeepbajaj
Dear HR Friends,
Focus on learning, quality, team work and re-engineering. HRM has a challenge and the same can be accomplished in following ways: -
HR Managers must become a partner with senior and Line Managers in strategy planning and execution, assisting in shifting planning from the office/ conference rooms to the market place.
They must become an expert in the way work is organized and executed, providing administrative efficiency to ensure maintenance of quality and cost effectiveness.
They must become champion of the employees, enthusiastically representing their interests to top management. Simultaneously they must ensure employees’ commitment to the organisation and build their capability to deliver results.
They must become agent of constant change, transforming processes and developing culture which together improve an organisation’s capability for change.
Thats the way they shall find themselves in the mainstream of Industry. 8)

From India, Delhi
rgs_mys

Dear Ravi, Excellent question asked .As of now more & more people have began to realise the importance of HR and how human resource is all imp. and holds centre stage of all business activities.To become a HR professional one must have a degree in HR and related subjects like law,psychology etc.People without a HR degree should not be encouraged to do HRjobs.Nevermind engineers & docs taking up HRcourses for, all jobs people mgt. is imp.just goes to show how popular HR is getting......
From India, Bangalore
preetk

Hi Guys,
Many people think the HR is a easy job and anyone can do it. Without any specialized subject knowledge also we can handle like that many are talking about.
I would like to say all these people first you work in a Manufacturing Industry, then you realize what exactly the HR is.
I am sure if in these IT companies also any employee unions comes up, then sure except the qualified HR professionals other people will run away from this profession.
Preet

From India, Bangalore
ckums
Hi Friends,
According to my point of view,
I will not accept that we MUST want HR Degree. To survey in HR department we must want HR experience only. We can get HR knowledge by Self Learning habits.
Some companies hiring Non-HR persons for HR related job as per my opinion. MBA - HR is an added advantage only. In my case I'm a Non-HR. (Bsc+MCA). I'm survaying in a MNC with good HR knowledge & Potential (awarded 2007 Best employee in HR in my company) . Any person can do HR Job if he/she has self confident , Selft Learning Habit & Selft Motivation. So Read more....Lead more..... Today's leader Tomorrow's Leader.

From India, Madras
Sugandhi Rastogi
Hi ,
I being new in this field would like to enquire you all that weathr it is essential to do MBA for being HR under a reputed banner or MSW -HR is enough for this designation.
Thanks & Regards
Sugandhi

From India
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.