meena_belani

learning while earning is very difficult u cannot concentrate on two things at the same time , its not atwo pages of book where u can complete in just two days when u are earning u contribute ur entire time on earning once money COMES in ur hand very less interest will be shown on studies , at the time of ONLY learning calls go to all the friends again we need to go to college , HOW BORING
From India, Hyderabad
SAIBHAKTA

I strongly object to the views expressed by Mr Saswata Banerjee .He has no idea about the course content of IGNOU of which I am an MBA.IGNOU was accredited as University of Excellence by the Commonwelth group of nations.( more than 40 countries).It has an excellent curriculam and has weekend counselling sessions.It took me four years to complete the course in eight semesters.For four years(88-92) I regularly attended counselling sessions on Saturdays and Sundays.Thereafter I appeared in selection tests where external MBAs from reputed Business schools appeared and were ranked far below me.
It is not the institute or the mode of imparting education that matters but how interested is the student.In IGNOU regular assignments/case studies and lectures from experienced business managers ensured the quality of education.However if the aim of a student is to get a degree (whether he gains knowledge or not)then God bless him ! Unfortunately today's environment reinforces this attitude.

From India, New Delhi
nashbramhall

As expressed earlier, it all depends upon from where one gets the MBA and the duration of the course, etc. IGNOU's courses are an exception just like the Open University, UK, courses. However, there are a number of other universities where there is hardly any support given to students on distance learning.
From United Kingdom
nashbramhall

Dear Meena, learning while working is difficult but not impossible. We all have only 24X7. How we utilize that time available is the question. I know of people who have done part-time evening courses for years, with a young family to look after, and completed their Master degree and/or Teacher's Training and even taught part-time evening classes at the same time. When I used to conduct Time Management Courses, I have asked people to consider how much time they spend watching TV, chat to friends on Skype, talk on the mobile, etc.
An old saying goes "Where there is a will there is a way". So, do not lose heart. Please take a leaf from this 100 year old lady's news at Yahoo! News UK & Ireland - Latest World News & UK News Headlines

From United Kingdom
saswatabanerjee

Sai,
I recruit regularly, both for my own company and for needs of our clients
The views i expressed are based on what i am experiencing. The only one i have seen that has some sensible results in Welinkar in Mumbai. Even that is a product far inferior to what we see in their full time MBA courses. A full time MBA course run by most reputed insititutes in mumbai requires students to be in the institute for as long as 12 hours a day. The amount of project work they do is humangous. A part timer does not have time to do anything close to that. It badly affects the final product.
IGNOU candidates also i have seen and worked with.
No, they do not come up to standards.
You may have been an exception and would have been able to take benefit of what they could offer. I suspect you had experience and expertise you leveraged on. I sincerely hope you are able to reap the benefits of your degree and get opportunity to showcase it. But mostly that does not work.

From India, Mumbai
nashbramhall

Dear Saswata,

Please may I know how many distance learning MBA candidates that you have come across in the past year? Is it not possible that better students with considerable experience, who have done distance learning courses, are absorbed by their own organizations and they do not bother applying for other jobs?

Most of the fresh MBAs (even full-time MBAs) in a number of institutions in India are taught by fresh MBAs who have hardly set foot in any organization. I know this from personal encounters when conducting seminars. I have asked HR lecturers if they have worked in HR, etc., and the response I had was "No". So, in my humble opinion it all depends upon how much interest a student takes to the course, why the student is doing the course (parents' and peer pressure or self motivated), how much time they devote, whether they work to learn or just pass an examination.

At CiteHr, I have been in touch with students of all sorts: many preferring spoon-feeding and a minority asking for just guidance to ensure that they are on the right lines. I am sure there are thousands who do not seek help. Students from elite institutions are a different breed, in general.

From United Kingdom
saswatabanerjee

About 15 in the last 2 years

Plus, I have met / known a lot of those who did MBA from full time and from part time courses. Most of the students doing part time are not doing it to learn. Most are also not doing it to go ahead in the same organisation as they know they will continue to be in the same post after their degree. They are doing it to be able to jump into another company for a high salary that MBA generally get. And mostly they are badly disappointed as companies do to offer an equal chance to those passing from distance MBA course. Most hr teams will look at this in the same light as a note in the cv saying that he played cricket for his college team. Good to hear, but it does not change my decision.

The reason why this is so, I have already explained earlier. The absence of serious and equivalent efforts on project work, presentations, research, analysis, personality development etc is largely missing in part time courses. There is just no time. And recruiters know this. They already factor this in. Do they care (as the original post put it) that the candidate had to take this course as he did not have an option, could not leae job etc ? No they don't care. For them, it's your hard luck. Don't try to push that on me. I will hire from the pool that looks like will pass the muster.

Again, like I said, such candidates do get jobs, but because they have the experience. The MBA degree is just icing in the cake. In a few cases, I know, it has helped to break a glass ceiling (eg a rule if not promoting a manager who is not MBA to department head). That is what drives some of the candidates to do it

From India, Mumbai
jaithacker

Full time MBA are boons because they attend full time &are exposed to corporate,culture & undegone training it is not the question of distance mode or correspondence people have caliber & required skills to flourish & experience professionals who are working have an exposure & advantage & companies & business moral responsiblity towards society also if the candidate is suitable then, & some people do not get the oppturnity to .some are underprviiged ,but today there are universites like icfai bhuvans (bila school of management )for working professionals who conduct regular classes on weekends & study materials are of very good quality & are deleivered on time ,we are living in the 21st century lets not differntiate ,ultimately end of the dayyou should get a right candidate let me tell you nobody is born talented talents have to be developed
From India, Bangalore
SAIBHAKTA

I have seen many candidates from reputed business schools performing poorly in group discussions/tasks.They either fumble or are silent ! It makes me wonder where are the skills/knowledge they are supposed to have mastered in those schools ? Mind it, management is not only the theory learnt in the institute but it's application in real practical world where communication skills are utmost important.
From India, New Delhi
Eins Education

Distance learning MBA do have value. If you have industrial experience you can opt for distance MBA. You will gain experience as well as you gain knowledge. Regards, Eins Education
From India
Community Support and Knowledge-base on business, career and organisational prospects and issues - Register and Log In to CiteHR and post your query, download formats and be part of a fostered community of professionals.

Contact Us Privacy Policy Disclaimer Terms Of Service

All rights reserved @ 2024 CiteHR ®

All Copyright And Trademarks in Posts Held By Respective Owners.